Why or why not is shakeology right for me?

Options

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Here's another angle to consider.

Say you go ahead and buy into the shake. Say it works for you and you get accustomed to drinking them every day and you lose weight and feel awesome..

....then they go out of business and you're stuck having to eat readily available real food.

.....what then?

Then you eat real/whole/natural food, and nothing changes.
    ...exactly my point. So why start paying a ton of money for that.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works for you, we're all built differently.

Be weary of too good to be true stories/programs weight loss is something that took a long time to get the way you are you should expect it to take a long time to get where you want to be.

No matter what you decide friend me if you like I'll support anyone as long as they're trying. If I see something stupid I'll tell you my opinion but you're an adult you can decide what you want to do with your body.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I don't get why so many people bash Shakeology. If you don't like it, don't drink it. If you like it, drink it. It's like broccoli. If eating broccoli suddenly became a new fad on here, half the people would bash it even if they like it. Nobody's making you buy it, or drink it, or anything.

Shakeology is good for a quick meal. You don't need it every day. You can also pop a multi, and a hardboiled egg and generally have the same effect. You can also calorie count and have a deficit to lose weight. It doesn't really matter.

My point, buy a packet off Ebay. If you like it, great. If you don't like it, great. Why can't people be happy with doing what they like?!
  • alleekat
    alleekat Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You can use any good quality protein powder with AMAZING GRASS green superfood powder and it's the same exact thing as shakeology. I used to use shakeology and after months and months realized I was wasting money. I now use the amazing grass powder in my regular protein and it's the same thing and easier on my checkbook. You're welcome.

I want to add that using this as a meal replacement is not healthy. Eat food for meals. I drink my shake post-workout. It's a good balance of carbs and protein.

^^^THIS!!!!^^^
  • Dcioby73
    Dcioby73 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've done Shakeology for the past two months, and it has really helped regulate my cravings, and I've lost about 15 lbs.
    It's not a magic formula, but it does help keep you satisfied, and it keeps your calories down, which is really the name of the game.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    OP...it's meal replacement...it works because you're introducing a calorie deficit by replacing certain meals with a shake...so yeah...it works. But what happens when you're done "dieting" and have to go back to eating real food again? Will you have learned anything about general nutrition? Will you have learned anything about calories in/out?

Over the past 7 months or so I've lost about 40 Lbs...that's great, but the real blessing here is that I learned how to eat better...I learned how to get my nutrition...I learned what a serving looks like and what XXXX calories per day looks like...so now that I'm at maintenance, I just continue to eat the way I was, just a bit more of it to maintain...but the key is that I've learned to eat properly and exercise properly for sustained weight control, health, and fitness.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    If you literally hate food, think it's disgusting, and would rather choke down some sludge then Shakeology is for you.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    I don't get why so many people bash Shakeology. If you don't like it, don't drink it. If you like it, drink it. It's like broccoli. If eating broccoli suddenly became a new fad on here, half the people would bash it even if they like it. Nobody's making you buy it, or drink it, or anything.

Shakeology is good for a quick meal. You don't need it every day. You can also pop a multi, and a hardboiled egg and generally have the same effect. You can also calorie count and have a deficit to lose weight. It doesn't really matter.

My point, buy a packet off Ebay. If you like it, great. If you don't like it, great. Why can't people be happy with doing what they like?!

The original poster asked for opinions on why it's good or not. These people gave opinions.
  • dupaboo
    dupaboo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I used Shakeology for over two years. There were times that I'd be lazy and not want to cook real food for breakfast or lunch and the shake was certainly handy, but I used it mostly as a snack/post-workout drink. I loved the chocolate - only had to mix it with water and ice; loved the taste. It just became too expensive to maintain. My energy and focus levels improved, but it didn't help me lose weight - making healthier choices and moving more did that.

I say if you can afford it, go for it. You won't know unless you try it yourself. I've been debating a FitBit, read a tons of reviews (good and bad) and decided to try it. I may like it, I may not. We'll see........As for me, I'm going to check out the amazing grass to add to my protein. I'm intrigued!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I think Shakeology is great it has worked for me! It is not a protean sake it is a meal replacement shake, made to be a healthy meal, not to be a work out drink. When you add it up it is 4.30$ a day. Where else can you get a meal that healthy for that low of a price??
    When shakes replace meals, then it's nothing more than a calorie deficit in liquid form. If one doesn't expect to do this for life, it's about a 90% chance that weight regain is going to happen. And don't be fooled by all the "healthy" ingredients. Trace amounts of minerals and nutrients (meaning dosage counts for effectiveness) that are just added so they can be claimed on the labeling, doesn't ensure that it's doing anything for the body.
    The point is that for $120 a month, you can get a weeks worth of actual food and learn how make a few meals from it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Shakeology = big no no

I will not bash occasional meal replacements, esp for people who have trouble stomaching breakfast (or have a busy lifestyle) but shakeology is just overpriced sugar.

Ninerbuff actually has said something for once that I agree with: "The point is that for $120 a month, you can get a weeks worth of actual food and learn how make a few meals from it. "
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal. If you aren't going to use it as "meal" for life, then why bother. Statistics will show that people that use any "diet" program will lose weight if followed, but if that isn't a sustainable program for life, that weight regain is inevitable. So the correct approach would be to adapt to a lifestyle of eating food that you KNOW you can control and do throughout your life.

IDEA Fitness member
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Here's the deal. If you aren't going to use it as "meal" for life, then why bother. Statistics will show that people that use any "diet" program will lose weight if followed, but if that isn't a sustainable program for life, that weight regain is inevitable. So the correct approach would be to adapt to a lifestyle of eating food that you KNOW you can control and do throughout your life.

IDEA Fitness member

exactly... and exactly why I posed the scenario I did. If the company folds, what then?
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I get my 2-1/2 pound buckets of Muscle Milk on Amazon for $25. How much are they charging for their shakes?
  • hellraisedfire
    Options

The original poster asked for opinions on why it's good or not. These people gave opinions.

I don't see how saying, "well, I love to CHEW my food" is a useful statement. I'm merely guessing that a lot of people who hate Shakeology have never actually tried it. My advice is to try it. Some people will like it, while others won't. No one can manage eating foods they don't like, no matter how healthy they are. You need to like foods that can help you maintain a deficit, or else you'll snap and eat everything. So if Shakeology is one of those foods that helps you not spazz out, use it. If it's broccoli, use it. If it's salad, okay then. Shakeology wasn't created for people that know how to eat properly, it was for people who don't understand nutrition. So while they're LEARNING good nutrition, they still have something to fall back on that helps them get vitamins. I used to drink it until I learned how to eat right, and now I have it once a week at the most. But maybe I'm a slower person, I couldn't learn nutrition overnight.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I get my 2-1/2 pound buckets of Muscle Milk on Amazon for $25. How much are they charging for their shakes?

$120

Stick to your Muscle Milk
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    If you want an occasional meal replacement and are ok paying as much as you would for (some) Starbucks coffee, then it's fine. Like the others have mentioned meal replacements don't teach you how to eat/create/choose foods, it's a short cut, which imo is not a bad thing from time to time. It's meant as a continual regular use, however, and that's a dependancy on a product, no matter how good it is for you. The amount of nutrients and micronutrients may be beneficial to some in providing their daily limit, as often times people are below this limit, so they have a quick meal that provides it to them. What happens when you're broke that month, the company goes out of business, or the package is lost?

There have been times when post workout I want something fast, so I'll grab a powder (Jay Robb without soy), or even a pre-made protein drink (Core Power), but we're talking maybe once a week at most, so $12-ish a month for those, vs $120. I see a trainer twice a month for $120, and I consider it a better investment.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    ... they still have something to fall back on that helps them get vitamins.

...you mean, like a multivitamin, or whole foods?
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options

People do that?! Shut. Up.
  • hellraisedfire
    Options

I'm just saying, a lot of foods try to trick you into thinking they're healthy when they really aren't. Breads say they have healthy grains and crap, and people who don't know nutrition, think "okay that's great!" when that bread really isn't so good for you. Same thing for potatos and all. I also have a friend on my list here who continuously thinks eating eggs fried in butter is good for her, because they're eggs. Mutltivitamins are the way to go, but chances are you'll still be hungry after you have one. I just think Shakeology is a good choice for people who don't quite have a good understanding of what a "whole food" is. It isn't something that you need to be on daily, but if you happen to be one of those people who think salads are still healthy after 12 tablespoons of dressing, it might be worth a second thought.