Running in the morning

Options

Replies

• faefaith
    faefaith Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    A cup of coffee and some almond milk, a couple of sips of water and off I go. However! I mojo jog, which means, I jog at a pace that my body wants to, where it feels good. I don't push myself, at least not hard. I may need something more if I was working on increasing my speed. But! I don't know for sure. Those are my thoughts.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I get up 20 minutes before I run and I mix a scoop of protein powder in a cup of cold coffee (I brew it the night before), mix and drink.
  • YumemiruJin
    YumemiruJin Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of almond milk before I go and maybe if it's going to be a long run, or especially hot, I take in an ounce or two of water. Any more than that, even after waiting for the food to digest for a couple hours, and I'm a slug in comparison.
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I too just roll out of bed and go. I may have a sip of water beforehand. On Saturdays & Sundays though I'll enjoy a cup of coffee first since I'm not crunched for time.
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I run at 5:15a

I ALWAYS drink 2 glasses of water when I first wake up. Then if I have hunger pangs before a run I will drink one of my fruit smoothies or Chai Protein shake. Then get dressed, stretch and go for my run. Most times I run on an empty stomach.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    When I do my long run first thing in the morning, I have a coffee green smoothie before I go.

8oz of cold brewed coffee with 2 tablespoons of almond milk
    1 frozen banana
    1 tablespoon peanut butter
    3 tablespoons hemp hearts
    1 cup dark green leafies (spinach or kale generally)

Then I blend in my vitamix.

It's very yummy and keeps me from losing my gumption after mile 9. Also works with half coffee half almond milk, but I really like totaste the coffee, personal preference.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I have glass of water or preferably a glass of cold leftover coffee. If I'm doing much over 6 miles I'll have something small otherwise I don't generally eat first.

^^This. I've also found that I run best in the mornings vs at night. I run my longest and my fastest when I've eaten nothing, or maybe something small like a piece of toast. My runs at night, even if it's before I've eaten dinner, I still feel weighed down and snail slow. But yeah, running at any time, I can't eat right before I run or I'll get sick. Literally.
  • skylarking036
    Options
    I too just roll out of bed and go. I may have a sip of water beforehand. On Saturdays & Sundays though I'll enjoy a cup of coffee first since I'm not crunched for time.

Coffee before a run? Are you crazy?!?! :tongue:
  • dawn1801
    dawn1801 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If I run at 5 AM, I don't eat or drink before I go out just get up change clothes and head out the door.
  • FeersFitness
    Options
    Most of the time I'll be hungry when I wake up lol.. I'll eat something small and then go for real breakfast after if I go running
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    For running up to 4 miles, I have found the best things for me to eat are a handful of trail mix and a banana. I will dilute orange juice with water in a big water bottle (20 oz?) I'll drink 1/2 before I run and half after. Then, I may eat another banana on the way home and then eat a real meal.

If I have enough time in the morning, I may eat a small bowl of homemade oatmeal with cinnamon and dried cranberries (butter optional) instead of the trail mix. I might then eat the trail mix instead of the banana when I am done.

You have to find out what works for you. The best mix is carbs/protein/fat together. OJ can be hard on some stomachs. Gatorade might be a better choice.

Some have recommended chocolate milk as a great recovery drink. (You'd have to keep it cold so it won't spoil if you are going to travel with it.)
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I roll out of bed and go. You're lucky if you get some deodorant on me at 5 am. I just grab the leash, my pooch and I'm off.
  • Ninguneado73
    Ninguneado73 Posts: 832
    Options
    I do it at 5am, so no, I don't. However, I eat something the night before
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I just slurp some water from the tap in the bathroom on the way out. I lay out my stuff the night before so I don't wake the family by stumbling about in the dark.
  • sawiemken
    sawiemken Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I drink water while jogging and either eat an apple before or during but not all time. Only a small amount of water before i do a video.
  • blueblondeshorty
    Options
    I get up feed the kids and myself, take oldest to school then come home and go running. I always eat my eggs, oatmeal, and drink my coffee. I may take a few sips if that of my water before I run then go running :)
  • Eatkansasbeef
    Eatkansasbeef Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I run at 6am 5-6 days/wk. I drink LOTS of coffee before hand. On my long run I'll eat part of a banana but on my 4-5 miler I usually don't eat, but occasionally, might have a mandarin orange or part of a banana if my stomach is growling. Now that it's getting warmer I carry a handle of water with me.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I am not sure how far you are running, so the answer to this really depends. For me, a typical running session is 5-10 miles. If I am doing less than 5 miles, I don't bother eating, since I am not going to really burn enough calories for my body to be starved of nutrients. However, 5 and over I usually have 1 scoop whey protein shake 30 minutes before my run. If I don't have that much time before, I will eat G1 Chews before; or I'll have a banana or a slice of toast with a couple sprays of olivio. Keep in mind that unless you ate right before you went to sleep, not advisable, then you will have went a good 6+ hours without eating or drinking and your body will be wanting nutrients. If you are not into taking something before, consider something like Gatorade or something with more nutrients to take during your run.

You may feel like you don't need anything, and you may feel fine afterwards, but you are cheating yourself by taking nothing, since your body will have nothing but your fat and muscle stores to burn off.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Hot water with a slice of lemon. Sometimes tea.
  • bcd2007
    bcd2007 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I usually work out first thing (jogging then weights) and a never eat before hand.... jogging with food in my stomach= sick me