What do you wear to work?

Options

Replies

• PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Chasin, I had three ankle surgeries in the last two years. Heels are just not an option.

I am office admin / reception . When I interviewed, I saw everything from messy buns / lulu headbands / sloppy cardigans over tank tops to power suits and high heels.
  • tbrain1989
    tbrain1989 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i work in the adult film industry so i wear my birthday suit all day... everyday :)
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Chasin, I had three ankle surgeries in the last two years. Heels are just not an option.

I am office admin / reception . When I interviewed, I saw everything from messy buns / lulu headbands / sloppy cardigans over tank tops to power suits and high heels.

Ow! Yikes. Yea stay away from the heels.
    You can do all the messy bun stuff once u get settled in the job.
    Ya don't wanna go in there all relaxed as if you've been there forever.
    Be yourself tho.
    Find a middle ground, wear a cute cardigan with a skirt or pants.
    Also, did u interview w/that color in ur hair?
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Yeah, what others have said. Go with more formal rather than less, especially if you're "front of the house". 1st impressions matter - for you and the company you work with. Buy a few pairs of classic dress pants, a few blouses, cardigans, and skirts and you can mix and match them all.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    ca53566c-dce0-4858-8030-1a16da4beb8c_zps56a63591.jpg

these are kinda cute, great for your ankles
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I wear this:

58201_4064114762883_2119056956_n.jpg

Or this(crappy pic, but you get the idea):

313515_2168817421634_801167187_n.jpg

And this:

298973_1909938469822_479070_n.jpg

47004_1413992711488_522906_n.jpg

If I am shooting I usually go kinda casual:

20157_1191690834080_1332324_n.jpg

Outside it is quite casual:

2242_1019473088744_2523_n.jpg

Overall though, I usually wear nice jeans and dress shirts with dress shoes. That would be business casual.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Blue or black slacks (Prefer ****ies for durability), and a polo. As seen in my profile pics.
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    143118_DSC00973_2_.jpg

I have that shirt :)

I pretty much always wear heels. I wear a lot of pencil skirts, sometimes some nice skinny trousers and a dressy top....it could be a blouse or a simple tank with a cardigan or blazer. Buy lots of basics....simple black cardigan, black pants, navy pants, gray pants, etc.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Well, right now I'm working from home...that might be changing soon.

So right now, whatever I want....jammies, work out clothes...NOTHING at all on occasion!

Once I get back into an office environment, dress pants, nice collared shirt, normal casual wear.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I usually wear jeans and a polo or button up shirt. My office doesn't care though, I could come in wearing shorts and a t-shirt as long as we don't have a vendor visiting
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I wear jeans, trainers, a tshirt or some sort and a hoodie if its cold. Today I have plaited pigtails or I have a messy bun or have my hair down.

However when I worked for a 'professional company' I wore smart black trousers, any top (usually a neat, well fitted tshirt, a fine knit V neck sweater, or a little top and cardigan set) and shiny shoes.

Neat hair, either up or down, don't overdo the makeup, jewellery or perfume!
  • Tlglose
    Tlglose Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Scrubs
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    You've already been given a lot of great advice on what to wear and I'll agree with everyone before me but just wanted to wish you good luck and congratulations on the job!!

Not sure if anyone mentioned this but please make sure to wear something comfortable and something that fits. You don't want to be fidgeting with loose/tight clothing and feel uncomfortable.

Edit: I work in IT so typically its business casual but every now and then I like to wear a tie and just dress up nicer it makes me feel good.
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I am pretty lucky. I work registration at my local hospital emergency department. I can wear either scrubs or business casual. Sometimes I combine the two by wearing scrub pants with a nice blouse.
  • iclaudia_g
    iclaudia_g Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    x.jpg
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    143118_DSC00973_2_.jpg

I have that shirt :)

I pretty much always wear heels. I wear a lot of pencil skirts, sometimes some nice skinny trousers and a dressy top....it could be a blouse or a simple tank with a cardigan or blazer. Buy lots of basics....simple black cardigan, black pants, navy pants, gray pants, etc.

Dont wear sleevless to work...if you have a sleeveless top make sure to cover it with a nice jacket. Shoes dont have to be fancy a nice flat or a cute little loafer. Think easy peasy no iron material. No one wants to iron at 6 am. I wear a lot of black slacks, skirts (not too short), 3/4 length sleeve, nice tops but make sure they do not have graphics like a picture on it print is OK, not too low cut, lots of mix and matches. Depending on the culture of the company jeans may be a NO NO.
  • Dona_Maria
    Dona_Maria Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I work in an office environment and business cash means different things to different people. But usually anything goes within reason; I wear jean skirts with tights and a lot of black. Just keep it simple and classy; make-up more natural you'll figure out what is appropriate once you start your new job. First few days play it safe, black slacks, dress, skirt, or khaki if you prefer. Congrats!
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Most businesses are business casual dress. Slacks, heels & a blouse or sweater are fine. A skirt dresses things up a bit more, but it's fine as wells. I would stick to heels until you see if others wear flats. Personally, I wear heels every day.
  • BeTheFire
    BeTheFire Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I start a new job Monday and the dress code is "business casual".

I have no idea what business casual IS. I've been a work at home mom for the last 9 years!

What do you wear to work? Are you the best dressed? Do you admit to being the least well dressed?

Well for my job, 911 dispatcher, I wear ironed slacks, dress shoes,and a polo they provide. so nothing fancy or expensive, i got my 4 pants from tj maxx for $60 total
  • BeTheFire
    BeTheFire Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Scrubs

hahaha! great first impression on day one! hilarious.