What do you wear to work?

Options

Replies

• autumny70
    autumny70 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the new job!
    I prefer skirts/dresses to slacks but in my office I'm one of the better dressed. We range from me (skirt, nice T, cardi, flats) to the younger girls in layered T's and cargo pants. Our boss doesn't allow flip-flops or "gym" shoes as she calls them even on Fridays where we can wear nicer jeans. No spaghetti straps/tanks without a cardi, but sleeveless is okay. I have gotten away with canvas Tom's on Fridays.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Oh, and let me add: always dress for the job you *want*, not the job you have. Good luck!
  • faedreamer1
    faedreamer1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I mostly wear jammies and yoga pants/tshirts. I work from home as a writer lol, so no dress code when I can simply roll out of bed, plop down at the desk (or on the couch with the laptop) and get to work! :)
  • ACepero79
    ACepero79 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Work in a Private Equity firm. The CFO is very relaxed about the dress code here. Its mostly business casual, but he encourages jeans and sneakers. So I essentially wear any shirt that has a collar, any pants/jeans that are clean and don't have rips, and any shoes/sneakers that are clean.

So on any given day I could be wearing a collared, button down shirt with slacks and dress shoes or I could be wearing a polo with a pair of jeans and sneakers.
  • samr73
    samr73 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    We definately have a dress code/policy that has to be adhered to. I wear fitted dresses or pencil skirts with pin-stripe shirts and always heels. The rest of the guys on here have it right - keep it as simple as possible so that you feel comfortable - it can be difficult enough starting a new job without fidgeting with your clothing all day!! Trousers and shirts or smart tops could be the best way to go from your description of the other employees - these can always be dressed up/down quickly if you feel your wardrobe needs adjustment. Good luck with the job!!
  • Datahorde
    Datahorde Posts: 154
    Options
    Jeans, T-Shirt, n sneakers for me.
  • AileighD
    AileighD Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    typical girlie office wear- skirts blouses and heals.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    i am def. not the best dressed. outside of work maybe, but not at work. I wear lots of flowy blousy type shirts, or blazers with tank tops underneath. Always dress pants. I seldom wear heels to work because of how tall I am so I buy those cheap shoes that are like $10 and look dressy...like ballet flats. They don't last long, but I find that depending on what you are wearing you don't want to wear socks with them anyway, or wear stockings with them, and they end up smelling after a couple months so I toss 'em!

The counsellors at my work are fashionistas and are always inspiring my style, which is nice!
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    143118_DSC00973_2_.jpg

I have that shirt :)

I pretty much always wear heels. I wear a lot of pencil skirts, sometimes some nice skinny trousers and a dressy top....it could be a blouse or a simple tank with a cardigan or blazer. Buy lots of basics....simple black cardigan, black pants, navy pants, gray pants, etc.

Dont wear sleevless to work...if you have a sleeveless top make sure to cover it with a nice jacket. Shoes dont have to be fancy a nice flat or a cute little loafer. Think easy peasy no iron material. No one wants to iron at 6 am. I wear a lot of black slacks, skirts (not too short), 3/4 length sleeve, nice tops but make sure they do not have graphics like a picture on it print is OK, not too low cut, lots of mix and matches. Depending on the culture of the company jeans may be a NO NO.

Agreed. I only wear shirts like that with a cardigan or blazer :)
  • bearkisses
    Options
    do NOT wear open toe shoes to work, until you know it is okay for sure. and do not show a lot of skin, even above your cleavage...there is a picture that was posted on the first page of the thread with a nice blazer but the shirt shows so much skin. This isn't a runway, it is work people!
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    This was such an insightful thread! I recently had a couple of interviews at a place where dress code is "business black," but I saw managers walking around in black tees with their bra hanging out and black stretch pants, so idk. Obviously if I get it, I won't show up like that! I'm thinking black slacks, with black blouses and black cardigans...so much black.
  • JimLeonardRN
    JimLeonardRN Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I wear pajamas to work.......I'm a nurse and Scrubs are the uniform of the day.
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    This was such an insightful thread! I recently had a couple of interviews at a place where dress code is "business black," but I saw managers walking around in black tees with their bra hanging out and black stretch pants, so idk. Obviously if I get it, I won't show up like that! I'm thinking black slacks, with black blouses and black cardigans...so much black.

I ♥ black!! :)
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Scrubs.
    I'm in contact with bodily fluids for 8 hours.
    It's not about how I look.
    It's about comfort and practicality.
  • bearkisses
    Options

once you get in to a place like that, that would be so amazing and relaxed. I am always cautious with my attire since everyone here is always dressed to the 9s.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Google image search "business casual". It will give you some good examples of what is appropriate to wear.
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Our office is business casual. I believe I'm one of the best dressed (I think).
    I stick to black, gray, brown slacks or skirts.
    I have a few dresses that the length is longer than my knee.
    I wear high heels almost every day... plain colored flats are fine also.
    NO open toe shoe, NO jeans, NO Ugg boots.
    Shirts are all covered the "girls", I wear a lot of blazers layered on top.
    With summer, a lot of offices do not like your shoulders to be bare, so I would keep it simple until you see what others are wearing!

Good luck
    Edit: spelling
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I love JCP's women's/ plus work clothes. Super cute and cheap.

I wear lots of embellished button up shirts, knee length skirts or dresses. No tank tops but in the summer I will wear the occasional sleeveless top. Black/gray dress pants (Not denim). Forever 21 jewelry is my go-to for dressing up dull tops and such.

Casual Fridays here mean we can wear jeans, but with nice tops and shoes.
  • PeanutButterLuver
    Options
    I work in an office & spend my day at my desk.

Why not buy a few basic items then you can mix & match? I wear black dress pants, cardigans, blazers, dresses, skirts, etc.
    We have casual day every Friday. I wear my jeans, but always dress it up with a cute blazer and heels.

I really think you should get the colour of your hair changed. It is not professional for an office environment. (sorry )

I'm going to brag & say I am the best dressed gal at the office. LOL

Good luck in your new job!
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

once you get in to a place like that, that would be so amazing and relaxed. I am always cautious with my attire since everyone here is always dressed to the 9s.

I like the fact that wearing a nice cardigan over a tee is acceptable, because it's all black it kind of already looks dressy. There are some things that these girls wear that are just kind of like, huh? Most of them look great, heels and such, makeup done nicely, etc. I would never wear heels if I got the job because this is a job where there is no sitting unless you're on break/lunch. There are no chairs. stools, what-have-you, so if your feet need a break...you better have brought a pair of flats, too lol.

Of course, I can also wear whatever kind of makeup I want, colors, eyeliners, lip colors, that stuff as long as most of it is that brand. I was told not only am I allowed to wear perfumes and body sprays, but I am encouraged to..so long as it is that brand. I can literally come in and look at the fragrance wall and go "Hm...what do I feel like wearing today?" I hope I get this job lol.