Anyone else have an Uber-Picky Eater Child?

Options

Replies

• tlacox1
    tlacox1 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    When I was young, Mom made one meal for everyone. You ate it or you sat at the dinner table all night long until it was time for bed. That didn't mean you didn't have to eat it. She saved it for you for the next night.

We spend a ridiculous amount of time catering to our kids today. My philosophy is, put it out there, they'll eat when they get hungry enough.

Don't even get me started on designer pet food.

Exactly my thoughts! Of course, this is how I am from the day they start table food so they pretty much eat anything. My four year old won't touch corn because he says that is for deer (we are hunters) but other than that, pretty much anything goes. They eat what is on the table or nothing at all. If they choose to not eat it, I let them know that they better not ask for a snack later. Once they learn what hunger is and that I won't cave, they eat and learn that they actually like the stuff.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    My 8 year old son is the pickiest thing on the planet. Example, he likes McDonald's cheeseburgers (:sick:); but won't eat spaghetti sauce that has hamburger in it. EVERYTHING is chicken. My friend made us breaded tilapia one night for dinner. Had I told my son it was fish, he would've refused. Told him it was chicken & he scarffed it down. Steak is tricky because it's not white meat...but usually once he takes a bite, he wolfs it down.

He has been better in recent months about at least trying new things, though. I seriously considered going outside & looking to the mountains to see if the 4 Horsemen were there when he asked me for more green beans a while back. And then just this weekend I didn't have to fight him to get him to eat some broccoli. I've sent him to bed without dinner a couple of times...so he's learning that he eats what's put in front of him or he doesn't eat. I catered to him for too long (my own damn fault); so it's taking some time to break him of these habits. I try to get new things for him to try. I have resorted to bribery (if you eat it you can take your scooter for a spin) or if he doesn’t eat, he doesn’t get dessert…stuff like that.

Of course, it doesn’t help that I’m pretty picky myself :embarassed:
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    When I was young, Mom made one meal for everyone. You ate it or you sat at the dinner table all night long until it was time for bed. That didn't mean you didn't have to eat it. She saved it for you for the next night.

We spend a ridiculous amount of time catering to our kids today. My philosophy is, put it out there, they'll eat when they get hungry enough.

I won't make a second dinner, either.

Ain't nobody got time for that.
    I don't cater, either. If my daughter doesn't like what I cook, she makes herself a peanut butter sandwich.

My sister in law steamed vegetables in beef broth because my brother (he's almost 30) refused to eat them. He'll eat broccoli and carrots this way.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options

My son has high functioning autism and as a child he had severe sensory issues that caused him to throw up if he ate certain textures and flavors. He went through a phase where he'd eat nothing but pizza for 4 solid months. Today he is 16 and will eat anything you put in front of him, including foods he used to have meltdowns about if he even saw them on the same table.

This gives me hope!
    Hang in there Amy :) I did insist my son try things he refused to. Sometimes he liked them and sometimes he didn't. Again, this is NORMAL. This is part of being human - finding out what you do and don't like. Kids' likes and dislikes should be respected as much as anyone else's IMHO but kids also benefit from being introduced to new things they can try.

My biggest successes were always when I tried introducing foods that were "like" foods he already liked. Oh, you like broccoli? Try some cauliflower - it's like broccoli but white! Oh, you liked cauliflower? Try it mashed, here, help me mash it up, it's fun! Hey remember that mashed cauliflower that was so yummy? I made mashed potatoes today, let's put a little real butter on it and see how good it is! What's this, you ask? Why, it's mashed sweet potatoes - just like mashed potatoes that you liked last month, but this has MARSHMALLOWS! etc.
  • AbigailClarke48
    Options
    OK - Question to all you 'super-smuggie just suck it up because obviously you are an overindulgent parent' people - if it worked so well for you when you were young - what are you doing on MFP?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    OK - Question to all you 'super-smuggie just suck it up because obviously you are an overindulgent parent' people - if it worked so well for you when you were young - what are you doing on MFP?

tumblr_lpspft8tzJ1qchccko1_500.gif
  • glacier81
    glacier81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    One more thought on this. Commercially we are doing everything possible to make food palatable for our kids; and easier for us to prepare. I guess that's because we are so darned busy. Get off the computer, stop texting, take some time to prepare healthy food for your children and sit down and have a family dinner. NOT IN FRONT OF THE TV.

Let them help you. Let them help shop and pick out the healthy choices.

I have friends that say "My little Susie lives on Ball Park Franks and Kraft Mac & Cheese." Great, She got little Susie to eat. No nutritional value though and she is going to eventually FR Mommy on MFP.

If you don't take the time out to help your child learn about nutrition and make food preparation and eating fun , as well as nutritious, you're not helping them by feeding them whatever they want, you are condemning them to a lifetime of fast food and obesity.

Be a real parent. They'll fight you now, but thank you later.

Amen again!! Could not agree more.

So glad I'm not the only one that sees things this way! And I completely disagree with things like hiding spinach in brownies...all you're doing is encouraging them to eat brownies and not healthy food.
  • grace42d
    grace42d Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Ditto! And no treats including fast food, candy, pastry, popcorn, chips, pop, etc. In my house dessert is something like cherries, watermelon or berries. Elimate the possibility of the 'favorite' foods and all of a sudden broccoli looks good.

One time my 5 year old had a friend over for lunch. We had cheese cubes, a little grilled chicken, raw broccoli and fruit. My son loves broccoli so I gave him a HUGE portion. The neighbor kid is 'picky' so his broccoli was miniscule. He looked longingly at my son's plate and lamented "why can't I have a huge broccoli." Voila - a broccoli fan was formed!
  • Kttyler87
    Kttyler87 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The ONLY thing that worked for me, my son is now 8. And he will try everything at least once now, when before he wouldn't even look at it. I allowed him to give me 2 things that he can put on a list. Those two things I will never make him eat. Has to be simple stuff , not like what he thought at first haha. He picked mushrooms and corn. Now he eats both! If he didn't want something for dinner his only option was a sandwich and fruit. That's it. Same thing everytime. No variety....that's the key. He would have to have pb & j with fruit. He now will not choose pb & j.....ever haha. He eats everything we eat now! It worked wonders for us. I slowly introduced the corn and mushrooms like a "oops" moment, and he loved it....haha. Good luck, I hope something on here helps you...I know how frustrating picky eaters are!
  • aimforhealthy
    Options
    I don't think anyone is on MFP because their family let them eat junk food. They're on MFP because they overeat. Period.

Restricting foods for kids is IMHO wrong thinking that labels some foods as "bad" and some foods as "good" without any concrete basis for kids. It seems arbitrary when you're little that the things you really like are "bad." Kids don't understand nutrition or long-term consequences so they just see it as a power struggle centered on food and that, to me, is more damaging than any McDonald's hamburger.

My son is allowed to eat candy and sweets if he wants. We don't keep them in the house because *I* overeat, but when we're out, he's allowed to get junk if he wants. When he'd go trick or treating as a kid, I'd let him eat however much Halloween candy he wanted for days. BUT we also are a very active family, watch food-industry documentaries, talk about fitness a lot, try new cuisines, skew heavily vegetarian, care about the environment and place a premium on organic, etc. He makes pretty good choices for a 16yo and he is very thin and healthy, so if he wants a Klondike bar from the ice cream truck after school instead of carrots and hummus, I'll spring for the $2.

I think that the human mind works on a supply and demand basis - if you make sweets a "special" thing or a reward, they become a scarce and therefore valuable resource. My son knows he can eat whatever he wants whenever he wants it. Sweets aren't a special thing or a treat, so he views all food as more or less equal and equally worthy of consideration. YMMV.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options

At 3 years old, my daughter does not understand this concept, yet.

I have a extremely picky eater. So, doing the whole "one dinner" deal doesn't work.

My 2 year old 'gets' this.
    that's utterly fabulous for you.
    of course, all kids are different. you'll get kids with autism who'll only eat yellow food, as an extreme.
    given identical situations, different children will not react in an identical way.

I do agree that children with disabilities are most definitely an exception.
    that was not my point. that was merely an extreme example.

my point is that every child is different, some are easier than others, and if you're lucky (like we are) to have non-picky eaters that might have sod all to do with us doing it the right way. it's just as likely that we were damn lucky to have had kids who were easy to feed. unless we know something of the cause of a child's pickiness, the attitude of the parents and the efforts the parents have gone to, we have no right to judgement or smugness.

i do not have a disability, my mother followed the one meal rule, never bought us sweets & treats, made us sit at the table. i was quite content to starve. hunger didn't bother me and i still hate her food. i found those sorts of meals traumatic. my sisters, raised in the exact same way, ate pretty much everything she put in front of them and were perfectly content. i eat a wide mix of food now but still refuse to eat anything containing even the smallest lump of onion.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My son is nearly 2 and getting to be picky. He will eat anything covered in pasta sauce, so I make a veggie sauce (shred carrots, zuchinni, peppers) in with a garden veggie premade sauce and put it on almost everything.

Grilled cheese and mac n cheese are great place to hide shredded veggies too.

Or turning veggies into fun shapes to look like french fries or tater tots work too. There was a good recipe for zuchinni tots floating around here.

As for fruits, same thing - easily added to healthy muffins for breakfast, or in the form of a good fruit/veggie juice..
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I have three kids that all have the same environment and rules, but they're different.

One will eat most anything, one is very picky (isn't flexible about protein, but eats 4-5 kinds of raw veggies) and one is moderately picky (only eats 1 vegetable, but it better on protein)

You can try this and that, but none are guaranteed to work, and a great many of them will backfire.

There is only one thing that will work - if they eat too much of something, don't buy it. So, if our kids get to "addicted" to something, it goes off the shopping list for now. And you sure don't as hell have to make them an alternate dinner.

As the great Data said, "Perhaps hunger will compel you to try it again".
  • aimforhealthy
    Options

There is only one thing that will work - if they eat too much of something, don't buy it. So, if our kids get to "addicted" to something, it goes off the shopping list for now. And you sure don't as hell have to make them an alternate dinner.

No offense, but I feel sorry for your kids. "If they like something too much, it's a CLEAR sign that I should step in and limit it!" Where on earth did you get this notion? What are you hoping to accomplish by punishing preferences this way? Would you like someone to do that to you? If my kid loves to eat something, I love making it for him. You can't get "addicted" to any one particular food. You're projecting your issues onto your kids. I'm not saying this to be mean, but that's a MEAN way to treat a kid who is honest about what their preferences are to you.
  • swenard
    swenard Posts: 101
    Options

I can only speak for myself, but my extra-thin mother was an overindulgent parent who didn't do anything to reinforce positive eating habits. I've vowed to do things differently and stop perpetuating the problem.
  • Bibliothekar
    Bibliothekar Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ...One thing I DO NOT GET is parents who have the one bite rule. "you have to take one bite". I say that every time, and my son runs away from the table, throws the food on the floor, throws himself on the floor, etc. Seriously, how do you enforce that rule???...

When we did it with our girls (now ages 6 and 5) the first few times they did throw a fit. Just stick to it. If they leave the table calmly (or as calmly as you can) sit them back at the table. Now when they say "I don't like it" all we have to do is remind them of the rule that they don't have to eat all of it just one bite.

I also have a child in the Autism spectrum. She will not eat pasta, anything with tomatoes, most meat, peanut butter ("brown butter"), nearly all vegetables, rice, and bread. This cuts out pizza, mac 'n cheese, spaghetti, PB&J sandwiches, any other sandwich for that matter, ect...
    We are slowly learning what she will eat without a fight (white fish, mexican pizzas, etc..) and I'm starting to include those in our weekly plan. We don't limit our diet to her food preferences, we are working with her to become more interested in a wider range of foods. It's deffinitely a process, one week she likes spinach salad, the next she doesn't. But the point is to keep trying.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options

My parents were poor and could only afford crap food like fish sticks, potatoes, white rice mixes, etc. They were not indulgent in feeding us worthless food, it was a necessity for survival. So I got fat by learning to eat trash as a child and now, I have to teach myself how to eat. I refuse to have my daughter have to change her entire eating behavior when she's in her 30s and suffering from health problems, so I am heavy-handed for her own good.

Love,
    "Super-smuggie just suck it up because obviously you are an overindulgent parent" person.
  • samischell
    samischell Posts: 40
    Options
    I dont agree with forcing food on your children. AS a child my dad would put adult portions and food on our plates and we had to finish our plates before we got down. I was stubborn and would sit at the table for hours my little brother would eat everything to please our parents he is now 500 lbs and lives in my basement. i have to watch what he eats because he will eat everything in the cubboard . I am 165. My dad thought making us eat food was showing us he loved us and worked hard to care for us. as a child he never had enough. So it really is a hard cycle to break. I make my kids try everything ant least once a meal but They only eat until they are done/full however you want to say it.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options

MFP stands for My Fitness Pal, not My Fat Pal. Some people are on here to maintain fitness, seek new healthy ideas,find people with similar goals.

Or in some case (not going to name names) troll the message boards and make snarky comments.
  • aimforhealthy
    Options

My parents were poor and could only afford crap food like fish sticks, potatoes, white rice mixes, etc. They were not indulgent in feeding us worthless food, it was a necessity for survival. So I got fat by learning to eat trash as a child and now, I have to teach myself how to eat. I refuse to have my daughter have to change her entire eating behavior when she's in her 30s and suffering from health problems, so I am heavy-handed for her own good.
    With all due respect, I think you are giving your influence as a parent far too much credit.

First of all, fish sticks, rice and potatoes CAN BE a part of a normal healthy lifestyle. Second of all, most of us eat what we want as adults regardless of what our parents put in front of us. It's not like if you feed your kids McDonald's nuggets every day for 18 years, at age 19 they remain incapable of eating anything other than McD's nuggets. Educate your kids, talk openly about food, nutrition and fitness without judgment or pressure, offer a wide variety of choices and let them have a heavy say in what you make for dinner, always encouraging them to explore and making it sound fun and interesting.

IMHO severely restricting children's food for them does NOT empower them to make healthy choices for themselves as adults. Education, modeling good choices and empowering THEM to do so for themselves does.