Why does everyone think it's WHAT they eat that matters?

Options

Replies

• CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Guinness is actually one of the most naturally light beers!!! (Just wanted to let OP know in case he's been forgoing Guiness!!!)

As you were.
    Yes, for those carb-averse, a Guinness has less than Miller Lite... and way more taste!
  • jgollnick
    jgollnick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I read so many threads on here about giving up this or that, limiting this or that, etc. It's not what you eat, it's how much you eat that matters. You just need to chose if you want calorie-dense food or more of a less-dense food.

If you have to lose a lot of weight and restrict what tastes good you're going to fail. So instead of giving up pizza why not just eat one less slice per meal? Instead of Guinness drink a Miller Lite. I really don't understand why people are so dang hard on themselves. Good luck!

I completely understand your point. I had to make a lot of adjustments before using a diet that I could utilize for the long haul. But with something like pizza (My absolute favorite). The utter bliss that that first bite gives just makes me drop my guard. 1 piece is just a tease. I usually set aside one day where i can have foods that are more calorie dense. It's worked pretty good for me. I've been a member since 11/12 and i'm down 46 lbs.

31512657.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • coozine
    coozine Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    IDK Even when I stay within my caloric goal while eating junk like pizza and McDonalds I notice it makes me stall. Not gain but not loose either . I think for some people what you eat does count.

I totally agree with this. If my daily carb count goes over 30, I gain weight even at 1200 calories per day.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I can understand your point, but you have to understand that most people wander through life eating whatever they feel like. Many people on here are trying to do things right and need to create a disciplined approach to their new lifestyle. While I can see your point about the foods, no doctor / nutritionist in the world will tell you that eating 2 scoops of ice cream and a fat slice of cake is an adequate replacement for 3 balanced, healthy meals with the same calorie count. The trick I’ve found is learning to like healthier choices. I’ve got a long way to go, but at least I’m on the right track. :happy:

I 100% agree with the above.

I understand the idea that you should be able to eat what you want but less of it, however that doesn't work for a lot of us. You need to understand, some of us have an addiction to food. If I do not find a healthy alternative that I like, then I have to avoid it. I just can't sit down with the family and have 1 or 2 slices of pizza. I can't just dish myself up a half a cup of ice cream. Try a pint and that is if that is what is in the freezer otherwise it could be more.
  • rhogr000
    rhogr000 Posts: 126
    Options
    I agree with calorie in/calorie out model completely. That said, what you eat and how often you eat it is important (to an extent). I mean, you can't expect to eat cheeseburgers and pizza every day and be healthy. But, at the same time, it's okay to have these things once or twice a week.

However, there are a bunch of people (especially here on MFP) that take dieting to extreme levels. I've seen threads on cutting out this or that food, "cycling" this or that nutrient, "tricking" the body, and all sorts of other gimmicks that are just silly. And don't even get me started on the countless threads I've seen that promote fad diets. All of these are unsustainable long-term.

The key is to eat a balanced diet that encompasses ALL food groups and makes room for the occasional weekly treat. In conjunction with exercise said balanced diet will lead to long term, sustainable weight loss.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I agree it's about quantity, however it IS about quality as well. When I eat clean I always lose more than when I don't. Obviously, processed foods pumped full of chemicals and preservatives are going to have an impact on your health and stall weight loss. The healthier you eat, the more likely you are to be healthy. That said, I agree that you should not deprive yourself. Still eat your favorite foods, just in smaller quantities. I have m&ms a few times a week. I just limit myself to about 20 pieces at a time.
  • aschmidt679
    aschmidt679 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree and disagree. Portion control is key. HOWEVER, while you can eat taco bell every day and lose weight (I should know, I lost my first 20 lbs that way), it doesn't make it good for your body. I don't subscribe to the notion that deprivation is ever a good choice. Who wants to live without enjoying their favorite foods? But, eating junk all the time, just in smaller portions, isn't good for you, even if you lose weight. Our bodies need clean fuel to run.
  • jesgaa
    jesgaa Posts: 17
    Options
    Instead of Guinness drink a Miller Lite.

^ This is not an option! Otherwise, I agree.

^ Agree! Guinness is not replaceable by Miller anything!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    it is what u eat
    and how much
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    IObviously, processed foods pumped full of chemicals and preservatives are going to have an impact on your health and stall weight loss. The healthier you eat, the more likely you are to be healthy.

FYI you can't say that here. People will jump all over you saying it isn't true...
  • candacefausset
    candacefausset Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I see all the points made here. I agree that you can indulge once in a while but I also think that indulging should be in limited quantities and frequencies too. You can't get all the proper nutrients you need from eating pizza and cake all day. But having a small piece of cake at the end of the day after eating healthy, nutritious meals is just going to be better in the long run for you and your body. Of course, it's even better if you can learn to enjoy and indulge on healthier things.

And I completely understand the 'all or nothing' mindset mentioned by so many. Once you have a slice of pizza or a cookie, it's hard to stop at just one. Especially because you are eating such calorie dense food, not only are you then fighting cravings, but possible hunger. If I know I am going to indulge on homemade pizza or a burger that evening, I fill up on salad first so that I am forced to not eat as much of the more indulgent foods.

And many people have mentioned eating less processed foods just being better for you anyway. Less chemicals and preservatives is definitely a good thing but you can still have pizza or cake or whatever you might like to indulge on once in a while if you make it yourself.

My go to sweet treat is just a simple square of chocolate at the end of the day. I literally nibble on it and just savor it. I break off one square for my daughter and one for myself and we enjoy our little dark chocolate treat at only about 10 calories before her bath time. I was surprised when I started doing a square of chocolate- that I could avoid eating the rest of the bar. But really, the only person telling me that if I had a little bit, I would fall to temptation and eat the rest, was myself. If you don't think you can restrain from overeating the wrong foods then stay away from them but it works for me.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    For me, it is what I eat.
    If I eat a massive 2-lb salad with cucumber, tomato, avocado, and tuna which only comes to 300 calories, I will feel invigorated, full, and satisfied.
    If I eat a 2.5oz bar of chocolate which comes to 300 calories, it will taste good while I'm eating it, but I'll still be hungry and I will feel unsatisfied and have heartburn.

I think the point the OP was making is that is IS possible to have a 1.85 pound salad and a PIECE of candy-and you will lose weight-and be healthy. It DOES NOT have to be an ALL or NOTHING proposition for nearly ALL people.

One could eat nothing but apples-which are typically thought of as GOOD food and if you eat only those and enough of them-FAT and UNHEALTHY.

It seems so intuitive...and simple.....and yet.....

Yes, I get this ^.

But I think it's important too for us to realize this quote from the OP is not true (IMO): "If you have to lose a lot of weight and restrict what tastes good you're going to fail..." ~ I don't at all "restrict what tastes good", even if I choose to rarely have pizza or fast food. In fact all my (healthier) meals are delicious, I don't eat one thing that doesn't taste good ;) I think some people are scared off assuming to eat healthier equals not tasting good.
  • rhogr000
    rhogr000 Posts: 126
    Options
    For me, it is what I eat.
    If I eat a massive 2-lb salad with cucumber, tomato, avocado, and tuna which only comes to 300 calories, I will feel invigorated, full, and satisfied.
    If I eat a 2.5oz bar of chocolate which comes to 300 calories, it will taste good while I'm eating it, but I'll still be hungry and I will feel unsatisfied and have heartburn.

I think the point the OP was making is that is IS possible to have a 1.85 pound salad and a PIECE of candy-and you will lose weight-and be healthy. It DOES NOT have to be an ALL or NOTHING proposition for nearly ALL people.

One could eat nothing but apples-which are typically thought of as GOOD food and if you eat only those and enough of them-FAT and UNHEALTHY.

It seems so intuitive...and simple.....and yet.....

THIS
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    That may be true for you but for other people it is what they eat, as well as how much. We're not all the same. Some of us need less salt, sugar or carbs than others do.
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    IMO, if you eat what you want, you can tend to overeat. If it's something you really love to eat, you're going to want more of it. I think instead, if you're eating something that's no bad, but not the best, you tend to eat what's there and are satisfied, if that makes sense. also, if you ate what you wanted all of the time, are you taking into consideration the point of it all, like carbs, cals, etc.? I love McDonald's, but let's be honest , regardless of what I eat there, if I ate that everyday it wouldn't be so good for me...unfortunately lol
  • my2kin04
    my2kin04 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I agree! that is why I eat what I want.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    You decide what to eat for your calories. For example, as a test, if you only ate 1,200 calories of chocolate bars each day you'd still lose weight.

We all know that though. I don't see anyone disputing that calories out vs calories in is what matters in terms of weight loss. That's what fitnesspal is based on after all. But eating loads of candy bars and little else is neither healthy nor feasible. Which is why I find the thread a bit pointless.
    I agree with the general concept of not starving and allowing yourself little treats. But certain foods contains loads of calories and hardly any energy, to a point where any sensible person would cut them out. I'll have a glass of wine once in a while and calculate it in. But I wouldn't have a bacon burger or a cheese hot dog. It would **** everything up. So while you can say not everything should be off limits, some things should be.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Instead of Guinness drink a Miller Lite.

Or drink the Guinness and find a way to make it fit your macros... seriously never sacrifice for crappy beer.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You should not just be concerned with weight loss, you should be concerned with your overall health. Being healthy should be a goal for everyone to have. When's the last time you heard someone honestly say "I really want to die young!" "I am excited to get cancer!" or "All this GMO stuff is awesome, give me more chemicals please!"

It should be ALL about WHAT you eat, not just the marcos.
    lol no

And what a thought provoking argument that was.
    rhony-luann-unimpressed.gif
    And a GIF to back up your own! Amazing rebuttal. Now show me evidence gmo cause cancer

I've posted my thoughts already.
    If you laugh at and put down someone's post, it's on you to prove they are wrong.

ETA: I never said they did cause cancer, just looking for something to back up your response of NO.
    true you didn't say that and i apologize for that. But here a good article debunking the cancer claim http://www.newscientist.com/mobile/article/dn22287-study-linking-gm-crops-and-cancer-questioned.html