Im stuck at 180 lbs forever.

Options

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and 160lbs. I eat 2000 calories a day to lose weight.

You need to stick with something for 6 weeks before you can complain about it not working.

This
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Just keep trying , even if its another month...play around with it until you find something that works for you :)
    You'll get it, it just takes time:)
    And takes a lot of trail and error ...what works for one, doesn't work for all sometimes . I know it's frustrating ..believe me I've had plenty of days where I was just frustrated and felt like crap...
    Maybe try to figure out your bmr , tdee, and adjust your calories from there ?
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You need to give it more time and eat healthy. You will almost always gain weight when you change your exercise routine. Your muscles are shocked and will retain water to protect themselves, but it's not real weight it's temporary. You need to stick with it.

If you are really exercising that much, and eating healthy, you will lose fat for sure. So you must not be telling us something or you'd be losing weight. You may gain muscle, which may cancel out the loss on the scale, but you will see a difference in inches for sure if you are really exercising that much and eating well. Btw- walking won't cut it. You need to jog if you want real results, especially if you want quick ones.

You will never lose weight if you don't care about being healthy. Period.

Instead of pouting and talking about how many times you have failed in the past which is why you don't wanna do it now, try gritting your teeth, digging your heels in, and start taking real action. Get rid of that defeatist attitude. (I tried 15 times to quit smoking before I finally did it. Edison tried thousands of combinations before he invented the lightbulb). If you already think you can't do it, then you can't. Have some faith, give it a real shot, and realize that good things take time. It takes a few months to start getting constant, noticeable results, and it's Never easy.
  • BevBasil
    BevBasil Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I would increase the protein and healthy fats and back down on the carbs.
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Eat real food, not boxed meals. Eat more veggies.
  • marielyd
    marielyd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I can identify with your situation. I had my daughter almost four months ago and I hoped to be at least down some of the almost 30 pounds that I gained. I am breastfeeding so I thought that would help. I workout at least three times a week up to five or six days a week. I have logged calories and increased the intensity of my workouts and the scale has not moved. I still cannot fit into anything. UGH!!! Before I became pregnant I could eat whatever and workout and there would be no problem now my pre-pregnancy weight of 158 seems so far away. I would like to weigh 145, my husband is trying to help me and I am praying a lot about it. Hopefully soon I will not see 180 on the scale anymore. I refuse to stay at 180 something has to give because I am not giving up!!!

I love your attitude, don't give up and the scale will be the one giving up.
  • amybadyal
    amybadyal Posts: 1
    Options
    No less than 1200 calories a day...and if you're healthy, the 17 day diet will get your body in fat burning mode. First 17 days only 17mins of exercise each day. Check it out.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I weigh 176lbs and have done for months and months despite logging my food and upping my exercise hugely since getting a puppy. I really empathise with you. Incidentally I have recently been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid and have now started thyroxine- it might be worth having a blood test if you actually are logging foods honestly (do you guess or do you weigh everything?), exercising and still not losing weight. I feel your frustration and hope you receive some useful tips on here from others xxx
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    So it's only been a week? Is that right?
  • marynificent
    marynificent Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck at the same weight forever. i lift six days a week, 30 minutes (minimum) of high intensity cardio, run four days a week (including one long tempo run) and walk three miles a day. I finally cracked down on the calories and lower them to 1200, with at least 160 grams of protein a day. everything else is veggies and whatever fat comes from consuming that volume of protein. Seems to be working, nine days in and I am dropping body fat, but no weight yet. some people can't lose weight by exercising. cut out the carbs and lower the overall calories. p.s. if i "ate back my exercise calories" i would be eating 2000 calories a day. which is ridiculous because having known myself my entire life and spending endless days and hours logging, weighing, and measuring foods to add up the macros and caloric values, i know for a fact that I gain once I go above 1800, even if i am training for a freaking marathon. sucks but you have to work within your genetic limitations.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Some stuff that I think is likely contributing to your "stuckness" --

Not logging your food with any sort of consistency.
    Not eating well.
    Too much sodium (due to your consumption of processed foods).
    Impatience.

Whatever you decide to do, do it and stick with it for six weeks before you decide it's not working and move on to something else. Your body needs a bit of time to adjust to whatever you've thrown at it, and if you are quickly jumping from one change to another with your calories, exercise, eating, etc. it's going to be really difficult for you to get an accurate picture of what works and what doesn't.

Your protein goal looks awfully low. I realise that's probably the MFP default, but you should aim for something a bit more substantial. Calculate your protein goal according to your lean body mass and change the MFP setting for that.

Do you strength train at all? Strength training will do amazing things for your body, and is highly recommended for anyone looking to lose fat and tighten up their curves.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck in the 180s for almost 4 months. I did a double-take when I saw the thread title. lol

This morning my weigh in was 180.2 and I joked that "the 180s are hanging on by the skin of their teeth". But, no biggie cuz I'm still getting smaller and I'm feeling awesome. However, i did break the stall recently by increasing my calories and lowering my carbs (I have serious metabolic issues so must eat very low carb for awhile) even more.

I'm no big fan of cardio. I think strength training is better. However, building muscle and expecting a lower number on the scale doesn't always occur consistently. But more muscle will burn more fat over the long run.

I'm in no hurry with my weight loss. My health problems were resolved by changing what I eat and the weight loss is just a nice bonus. I suspect it will be another year before my body settles where it wants to be. There's no deadline because I am not going to resume my previous lifestyle.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    if the 1200 calories isn't working for you, up it to 1500 and make sure to eat most of your exercise calories back. I went 4 months without a loss and then went to 1500 calories a day and always eat my exercise calories back. In the first week I lost 2 pounds and I am also menstruating right now and lost half a pound today......
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Im 5'9 female 25 years old. I want to weigh 140 lbs. I've been doing cardio 1 hour a day of walking for over a week. I 've been eating

small healthy meals every 3 hours. I started here at

180 lbs then i got down to 170 lbs and then my weight started going back up and now im back up to 175 lbs. I once worked out for

30 days everyday and actually gained weight. Im so irritated how the fat just will not come off. I feel like im really trying hard but once

again theres no results. I think my body is always going to be at 180 lbs now no matter what i do. at this point i just want a quick way

to lose weight im starting to not care anymore about being healthy. i just want to lose weight. i just want to get down to 140 lbs. But

im starting to see that my body is unable to lose fat. Just felt like venting.

Steady state cardio sucks and "walking" is barely considered exercise unless you're elderly or have had to spend a few months in a wheelchair because of a severe injury. Do HIIT! That's High Intensity Interval training and it will take much less time to do but will yield better results. At least mix HIIT in once in a while and if you're going to do that hour of low intensity cardio at least do it on the Stairmill which will at least begin to be a bit more difficult after 25-30 minutes. Mix it up!

Also, check out this video about "The Biggest Fat Loss Mistake, Preserving Muscle, Dangers of Too Much Cardio, & More" it features Layne Norton, Ph.D. who is a Natural competitive bodybuilder/powerlifter.

http://youtu.be/FcM8HablpZk
  • Venegirl1
    Venegirl1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was on the same boat, got down to 173 lbs, and then slowly started to gain over the past year - granted I ate what I wanted. Now for the first time in a couple of years I have seen the scale move in the right direction, only because I tried intermittent fasting. At first I thought "what a terrible idea", but it's the only thing that has worked for me. Look into it and see if it helps. :) Good luck!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    1. HR monitor to know how many calories you're burning walking, don't rely on MFP for the calorie estimates. They can be way off.

2. Food scale to know exactly how many calories you're consuming, never guesstimate.

3. Log all of these things religiously.

4. If after a month, you haven't lost/are gaining weight, people will be better able to pinpoint where you might be going wrong.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    E2MWL and strength training work well

Ditto! Eat 2 Much and Worry More!

=P jk
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm 24, 5'9 and in Wichita too lol. I started around 210, but I'm down to about 155 now, looking to get to 135-140ish. I recently upped my calories to 1900 (my TDEE- 20% from scoobysworkshop.com). My scale broke, so IDK how much I'm losing, but I can tell a difference in how I look since I started eating a little more and lifting heavier weights. When I first started losing I was eating 1,300-1,500 and doing at least an hour of cardio a day (usually an elliptical), but I've had the most success eating 1600-1900, lifting heavy regularly, and running 15-25 minutes a few times a week. You just have to be consistent and stick to it for at least 3-4 weeks. I'm not losing really fast, but I'm not struggling to eat under my calorie goal and I don't have to spend hours a week doing cardio (which I hate). Don't get discouraged, just pick a plan and stick to it for at least a month. Then if that's not working, you can make little adjustments.

Feel free to add me :smile:
  • lydt5880
    lydt5880 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    From fat2fit radio website based on the info on your original post you should be eating more along these lines:-

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1765
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2023
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2280
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2537
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2795

i've upped my calories and strength training(very important) inline with the calculations on this site after months of plateaus and gaining and i initially gained a couple pounds more but now i'm consistently losing an average of 1%my body weight each week which is a pretty healthy loss as in less like likely to be losing muscle and more likely to be losing fat.

Good luck