Why does everyone think it's WHAT they eat that matters?

Options

Replies

• KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

I agree. It seems though alot of people put their faith in this study about gmo causing cancer, so yes a much better study needs to come out until then all we can do is agree to disagree.
    ETA: While I believe Cal's in and out dictate weight loss for most (barring some medical issue) I truly believe it what you eat that maters in health. Also I believe in moderation and hitting my macros

Agreed. Thanks for sharing the article though, at least now I know at least one less than reputable study people are referring to when they link GMO and cancer.

I suck at moderation, it's sad times for me. One cookie doesn't happen, Ben and Jerry never even see the inside of my freezer.
  • d0nodon
    d0nodon Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Instead of Guinness drink a Miller Lite.

WHATDAFUQ IS WRONG WITH YOU?

lmfaoooooooooo:laugh: :laugh:
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Meet your calorie goal.

Meet your Macro targets.

Get your micronutrients.

Meet any medical needs.

Have a craft beer.

This is the most intelligent reply I've seen so far. Thank you sir!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options

WHATDAFUQ IS WRONG WITH YOU?

lmfaoooooooooo:laugh: :laugh:

Lol
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I disagree, what you eat really matters.
  • Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Meet your calorie goal.

Meet your Macro targets.

Get your micronutrients.

Meet any medical needs.

Have a craft beer.

I should have said this from the beginning. I think this site is full of people who are way too serious and literal!
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Because macros are still important. You can't just be under your calorie goal eating only cake and expect to be healthy or feel good. Not that you have to cut it out, but sometimes when people have that one slice of pizza it turns into half a pizza (that's what happens to me every time) or one beer turns into six.

Yeah, I suck at moderation. What is the point of one cookie? By cutting out the majority of sugar and processed foods I don't want them as much and that makes it easier. That's the point to me.

Me too! I'm learning moderation and doing pretty good actually, but still when I eat smaller portions of junk food I seem to just feel hungrier, or bloated, or just blah. Something tells me to just eat more of what I'm eating and I'll feel better but ultimately listening to that "voice" will make me overindulge, feel worse and gain weight or retain water or whatever. I'm better off just avoiding pizza and chips at this point.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I wasn't serious with the Miller Lite argument, it was just an example. Sheesh you people are picky! :)

dude.. i almost had to throw the miller lite at you.. lol.. ick.. i'll take guiness anyday.. oh or better yet.. black and tan. mmmmmm... ok.. i need beer tonight.. LOL

P.S> what you eat matters.. Eat healthy get healthy.. eat junky.. well get junky.. this does not mean never have another cookie the rest of your life.. it means do not have cookies for dinner.. lol
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    You can think whatever you like. But HOW MUCH and WHAT you eat are both very important in your overall health and fitness goals. Period.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Cause it matters to alot of us who have metabolic conditions

[img]]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_oGy5uZRLFnQ/SGE_APR2H-I/AAAAAAAAAGI/ES2f_uro2Vg/s320/IrishCarBomb.jpg[/img]
    is where its at whats alchohol without a little bit more alchohol? Just be careful where you order the 'irish car bomb' ;(
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options

^ This is not an option! Otherwise, I agree.

I don't even drink beer and I know only a crazy person would say this. Miller lite doesn't even come close to comparing to Guinness.

edited to say irish car bombs are THE BEST.
  • Jemma002
    Jemma002 Posts: 7
    Options
    I read so many threads on here about giving up this or that, limiting this or that, etc. It's not what you eat, it's how much you eat that matters. You just need to chose if you want calorie-dense food or more of a less-dense food.

If you have to lose a lot of weight and restrict what tastes good you're going to fail. So instead of giving up pizza why not just eat one less slice per meal? Instead of Guinness drink a Miller Lite. I really don't understand why people are so dang hard on themselves. Good luck!
    Hi! i'm new and i need support and someone who direct me!
  • lisavirani
    lisavirani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've posted my thoughts already.
    If you laugh at and put down someone's post, it's on you to prove they are wrong.

ETA: I never said they did cause cancer, just looking for something to back up your response of NO.
    true you didn't say that and i apologize for that. But here a good article debunking the cancer claim http://www.newscientist.com/mobile/article/dn22287-study-linking-gm-crops-and-cancer-questioned.html

Thanks, but what this article says is:
    -Rats fed GMO have a "raft of health problems"
    -The study was flawed and the results aren't reliable
    Basically, still no conclusions.
    Not sure where it says that the rats had a raft of problems but it did say this
    But didn't the treated rats get sicker than the untreated rats? Some did, but that's not the full story. It wasn't that rats fed GM maize or herbicide got tumours, and the control rats did not. Five of the 20 control rats – 25 per cent – got tumours and died, while 60 per cent in "some test groups" that ate GM maize died. Some other test groups, however, were healthier than the controls.

Exactly, it's to ambiguous. "Are the findings reliable? There is little to suggest they are." Looks like we have to wait for a study with a better design.
    I used to work for a researcher and have had an article published, so I look for holes in all studies that I read.
    I agree. It seems though alot of people put their faith in this study about gmo causing cancer, so yes a much better study needs to come out until then all we can do is agree to disagree.
    ETA: While I believe Cal's in and out dictate weight loss for most (barring some medical issue) I truly believe it what you eat that maters in health. Also I believe in moderation and hitting my macros

Late to respond, but I didn't originally state that GMOs cause to cancer, although I still prefer to keep them out of my body as much as possible. But there are studies on other "cancer causers" that are in these highly processed, chemically enhanced, artificial, unhealthy foods. Regardless of anything stated, personally I prefer to keep my body as healthy and as natural as I possibly can. I feel others should as well. But it is near impossible to eliminate everything bad. Interesting to see your guys' banter on this :) There is much debate about it all with valid points on both sides. But common sense would say it is better to consume a natural, organic apple or bean than it is to consume Butylated Hydroxytoluene or Monosodium Glutamate... right?
  • kimjmay
    kimjmay Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    True Story!!
  • louisekennedy94
    Options
    I totally agree with this! Although if I had my way I would eat snickers bars for every meal... which doesn't sound too healthy!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I read so many threads on here about giving up this or that, limiting this or that, etc. It's not what you eat, it's how much you eat that matters. You just need to chose if you want calorie-dense food or more of a less-dense food.

So, you agree that choosing less calorie dense food is an option. I don't get what the argument here is.
    If you have to lose a lot of weight and restrict what tastes good you're going to fail. So instead of giving up pizza why not just eat one less slice per meal? Instead of Guinness drink a Miller Lite. ]WTF I really don't understand why people are so dang hard on themselves. Good luck!

I agree with your calorie in vs calorie out premise. But, there is more to feeling satisfied with what you eat than just getting the right amount of calories. Our stomachs don't actually measure the amount of calories we eat, it simply doesn't matter to our stomach. But, our stomachs do measure the volume of food we eat and it is amazingly accurate at doing so. So for many of us we simply have to eat foods that are heavier and have more volume but, far less calories than what we were eating. There is no law that these foods can't taste good, they can, but we certainly can't just eat less and expect our stomach to just automatically go along with that. Plus, if you just eat junk all day it's not really going to do you a lot of good health wise for very long.

And maybe they should just go ahead and change the name of this site to My Weigh Loss Pal so people stop thinking that this site has anything to do with fitness.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I don't even drink beer and I know only a crazy person would say this. Miller lite doesn't even come close to comparing to Guinness.

edited to say irish car bombs are THE BEST.

Isn't an Irish car bomb made with... nevermind.. lol
  • onedayatatime410
    onedayatatime410 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

Agreed. Miller Lite tastes like @ss, I'll take the extra calories, thank you.

lol
  • Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think we need a MFP craft beer meetup. Hatred of Miller Lite, bringing MFP together since 2013.
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    As reported on CNN:

Twinkies. Nutty bars. Powdered donuts.

For 10 weeks, Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate one of these sugary cakelets every three hours, instead of meals. To add variety in his steady stream of Hostess and Little Debbie snacks, Haub munched on Doritos chips, sugary cereals and Oreos, too.

His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food.

The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months.

For a class project, Haub limited himself to less than 1,800 calories a day. A man of Haub's pre-dieting size usually consumes about 2,600 calories daily. So he followed a basic principle of weight loss: He consumed significantly fewer calories than he burned.

His body mass index went from 28.8, considered overweight, to 24.9, which is normal. He now weighs 174 pounds.

But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.

Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent.