Does Splenda make you fat?

Options
2»

Replies

• Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I use a minimum of 6 packets daily... Hasn't hurt my loss so far =)
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have started using Truvia, but do still get my artificial stuff in my Diet Pepsi's and Pepsi Max's
  • smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I read all your posts and love each one of you for helping me. I laughed at the sarcastic ones, and some are so true, that I laughed knowing they cannot really be true (Oprah endorsements = FAQ). I read articles online and seems there is controversy. Until I get to my ideal weight, with your input, I have decided to continue to use Splenda. Then, I will re-address whether it is the best choice for me. I agree that eating sugar is going to be worse for me in the long run. Thanks for all your input, you are the BEST!:heart:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I currently use Truvia. I don't use it often, but I find it a preferable substitute whenever I do use sugar (like when I have a nice cup of tea :) ).
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    hope not b/c I always put three in my iced coffee and two in my iced tea...I love the stuff!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I have a theory to answer your question in the title.

My theory is:

No.
  • annebubbles
    annebubbles Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I replied "no" when i'd lost 58 pounds & now I've lost about 90 pounds. I use splenda everyday all the time. I am obviously living proof that it does NOT cause weight gain or hinder weight loss. I put that stuff on everything. It's some WONDERFUL stuff.
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Former Splenda Addict!!! Actually ... artificial sweetner addict haha cuz i chew sugar free gum like a madman. it made me bloated cuz i got carried away with it lol... now i use it in moderation and its all good. The gum still bloats me tho :/
  • Mmmmona
    Mmmmona Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    No but it has been linked to skin cancer, diabetes and some other pretty awful diseases.
  • smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Still concerned about artificial sweeteners. But thanks to everybody's contribution to help me think this through. I decided to keep using a zero-calorie sweetener until I reach my ideal weight goal.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Splenda and other artificial sweeteners allow me to enjoy foods I like, while giving more calories everyday to use on nutritious food instead of wasted eating something with empty calories. Sure I could just not eat those type foods that need sweetening, but that's not happening.

Sucrose's solubility in cold liquids also makes it a PITA to use in that situation.
  • jaggerhawks
    jaggerhawks Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I've used splenda plenty of times. I am fat.
  • Blitz_40
    Blitz_40 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Not that I know of, but it does give me mind-blowing headaches, as does Nutrasweet & Truvia. I would love to be able to use a sugar substitute occasionally!! :ohwell:
  • Lemmynade
    Lemmynade Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of theories, but only two make sense to me:

1. The body is expecting sugar and, when it doesn't get it, may make people crave it.
    2, People overestimate the amount of leeway their diet drink has bought them, and eat more calories than they saved.

This is what I've heard as well. Try stevia, it's natural. You can buy flavored stevia on amazon and add it to plain, low-fat yogurt, teas, water, coffee, etc. Might be worth a try!

I mix 2 packets of stevia and a tablespoon of cocoa powder into my plain Greek yogurt and let it set over night for an indulgent breakfast loaded with protein!
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Splenda has no calories. As far as I know, if something doesn't have calories, it can't add to your caloric intake if you consume it.

Unless you like to put butter in your Splenda...

i hear if you sprinkle splenda on top of cake it actually eliminates calories from the cake. kind of like drinking a diet coke along with your burger and fries...it lowers the calories of the entire meal.

its true i read it on livestrong

I saw on Dr Oz that Splenda is actually like a calorie sponge - if you put it on a food, it absorbs the calories, which then evaporate into the air.

TV doctors endorsed by Oprah are always right.

Is this like how you get negative calories if you eat standing over the garbage disposal?