eating 1200 burining 4-800

Options

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    This will sound stupid: but here it goes

Why do I eat the calories back that I worked so hard to burn?
    Because MFP already has you at a reasonable amount of calories with a deficit built in. There is no reason to increase that deficit.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Solo I'm supposed to net 1200.. my net is wast lower than 1200. How do I know how much to eat then? For the last 5 days ive logged everything I ate to eat as close to 1200 as possible

On your food diary there is a section at the bottom that says "Your Daily Goal" when you don't exercise it will stay the same. When you do it will go up. Just eat whatever number or as close to it as you can. Doing that will NET you your 1200 calories. You already have the deficit to lose weight built in without ever doing ANY exercise at all. So to keep the deficit from becoming too large you eat back the exercise calories.

So, Just Eat "Your Daily Goal". It's really that simple.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Because you are burning off energy your body needs to function, keep hormonal levels balances, metabolism burning nicely etc.
    you eat 1200 and burn off 800, you are effectively expecting your poor body to somehow run your heart, lungs, organs, on 400 calories a day. You fill your car with petrol and burn off some of that petrol driving along a road, you need to refill. Same thing with what you are doing, you are burning off the energy that keeps your body going and not replacing it. Eventually you will feel the effects, and you will find it harder and harder to find a balance with your weight.

Even a net of 1200 is the bare minumum and many here who start out on 1200, find themselves hitting issues soon in, with their weight loss either stopping, or their energy running so low they cannot workout anymore. Most of the successful people I have seen here, lost their weight with a small deficit, so that it was sustainable in the long term. They did not go on a diet to lose weight as quick as possible and be damned the consequences. They changed their lifestyles so that the weight would stay off permanently and they would remain healthy and energised.

I lose weight on 1800 calories and I was not heavy to begin with.
    The less you have to lose, the less of a deficit you need.
    Do yourself a favour, and forget this ridiculously unhealthy quick weightloss scheme and think of doing what is best for your body longterm.
    Find out your TDEE by going to scoobys workshop, and eat between that and your BMR.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I dont appreciate the negativity! MOTIVATION AND SUPPORT. I OBVISOULY DONT KNOW WHAT I AM DOING! THESITE TOLD ME TO EAT 1200 CALORIES A DAY!!!!!!!!!!!

I GAINED THIS WEIGHT FROM MY PREGNANCY! I AM INSECURE AND TRYING TO LOOSE WEIGHT. THANKS FOR NOTHING BUT MORE CRITICISM. IF ANY OF YOU CAN STOP AND READ INSTEAD OF TRYING TO BE THE "POST CLOWN" YOU WOULD SEE IT SAYS " I DONT UNDERSTAND THE RESTING CALORIE EQUATION!!" THAT WAS THE QUESTION.NOT YOUR OPINION ON THE NUMBERS I AM INSERTING INTO IT.

You should not eat below your bnr, I think you said 1520 or something.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    If you don't win you lose, you don't loose.
    You may wish to lose weight, not loose weight.
    You may be losing your hair, not loosing your hair.

I actually stared at your profile pic for a bit longer than I should have waiting for it to load...

Now I feel silly.

And OP, not a wise routine you're putting together there. Good luck with this thread and someday losing weight in a healthy manner.

Lol!!! After reading this I went back to figure out what profile pic you were talking about.
    Thanks for one last little giggle before bedtime.
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    As previously mentioned, please take advice given here with a grain of salt.
    Except that one lady telling you to eat 1200 calories a day and workout like a mad woman, don't listen to her.
    When I first joined MyFitnessPal, I didn't get on forums or add any friends. I just took a quick glance on what MFP was telling me to do and I did that. Exactly as you did. I was eating 1200 calories a day and not eating back my exercise calories. And, I weigh a lot more than you and am taller!
    Go to scoobysworkshop.com and calculate your TDEE. (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)
    Then, minus 20% from this number.
    Example, my number was 2300, so I minus 460. Which comes to 1840.
    Now, whatever the number is that you come up with, this is the number you should eat and with this method you will not eat back your exercise calories. (However, I suggest if you are a mad woman and burn 1800 calories in exercise in one day you should really do yourself a favor and eat more.)
    Most people find that by reading the bare minimum and worrying out a lot there can be lots of ill effects. Low energy, headaches, irritability and- the most common - no weight loss. Here is where I found myself. I was eating 1200 a day, was starving and wasn't losing. I did the research, upped my calories to 1840 and have been losing consistently, every single week now.
    If you are here for the same reason the rest of us are - to lose weight, and to do it the right way - then please, do it the right way and don't try killing yourself.
    Nobody in here wants to see you hurt yourself. Even though they may come across as they don't care.
    Probably cause the don't want to see you pop up on the boards again in a month crying 'I am starving, I haven't lost anything, wtf.' (Cause theres only been 1054 girls do that.)
    Treat your body right. Eat!
  • tiggerhammon
    Options
    Wth!
    Most people find that by eating the bare minimum and working out a lot ***
    Stupid autocorrect
  • sarasmile144
    sarasmile144 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Huh?
  • sarasmile144
    sarasmile144 Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Huh?

Oh, whoops, I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention, lol.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Because you are burning off energy your body needs to function, keep hormonal levels balances, metabolism burning nicely etc.
    you eat 1200 and burn off 800, you are effectively expecting your poor body to somehow run your heart, lungs, organs, on 400 calories a day. You fill your car with petrol and burn off some of that petrol driving along a road, you need to refill. Same thing with what you are doing, you are burning off the energy that keeps your body going and not replacing it. Eventually you will feel the effects, and you will find it harder and harder to find a balance with your weight.

Even a net of 1200 is the bare minumum and many here who start out on 1200, find themselves hitting issues soon in, with their weight loss either stopping, or their energy running so low they cannot workout anymore. Most of the successful people I have seen here, lost their weight with a small deficit, so that it was sustainable in the long term. They did not go on a diet to lose weight as quick as possible and be damned the consequences. They changed their lifestyles so that the weight would stay off permanently and they would remain healthy and energised.

I lose weight on 1800 calories and I was not heavy to begin with.
    The less you have to lose, the less of a deficit you need.
    Do yourself a favour, and forget this ridiculously unhealthy quick weightloss scheme and think of doing what is best for your body longterm.
    Find out your TDEE by going to scoobys workshop, and eat between that and your BMR.

110% agree. I was about 155lb and wanted to lose weight and like you started at 1200. I did eat back my calories, so it was NET 1200. As I lost a little weight and started exercising a lot more I found my progress stalled. It was so frustrating, so I slowly upped my cals a few times.

Now I am netting 1600 on a low day, closer to 2000 on a high day (I am more relaxed about it now). I am at about 140lb now which may seem big to you somehow, but if you see my pics you will notice I have some muscle coming through now! I have little movement on the scales as I focus on weight training and building muscle - which is what really gives you shape and makes you look fitter.

I think 1200 is too low, just listen to your body though. At first it suit me, but over time I got hungry and it wasnt working for me anymore so I listened to my body. Also keep in mind it isnt simply just calories in VS out, there are also other things to consider like the makeup of the food. Macronutrients (carbs, fat, protein) are very important so dont try living off just bread. Make sure you have a healthy diet and avoid processed foods as much as possible!

Good luck :) Jess
  • cindybpitts
    cindybpitts Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    As previously mentioned, please take advice given here with a grain of salt.
    Except that one lady telling you to eat 1200 calories a day and workout like a mad woman, don't listen to her.
    When I first joined MyFitnessPal, I didn't get on forums or add any friends. I just took a quick glance on what MFP was telling me to do and I did that. Exactly as you did. I was eating 1200 calories a day and not eating back my exercise calories. And, I weigh a lot more than you and am taller!
    Go to scoobysworkshop.com and calculate your TDEE. (Total Daily Energy Expenditure)
    Then, minus 20% from this number.
    Example, my number was 2300, so I minus 460. Which comes to 1840.
    Now, whatever the number is that you come up with, this is the number you should eat and with this method you will not eat back your exercise calories. (However, I suggest if you are a mad woman and burn 1800 calories in exercise in one day you should really do yourself a favor and eat more.)
    Most people find that by reading the bare minimum and worrying out a lot there can be lots of ill effects. Low energy, headaches, irritability and- the most common - no weight loss. Here is where I found myself. I was eating 1200 a day, was starving and wasn't losing. I did the research, upped my calories to 1840 and have been losing consistently, every single week now.
    If you are here for the same reason the rest of us are - to lose weight, and to do it the right way - then please, do it the right way and don't try killing yourself.
    Nobody in here wants to see you hurt yourself. Even though they may come across as they don't care.
    Probably cause the don't want to see you pop up on the boards again in a month crying 'I am starving, I haven't lost anything, wtf.' (Cause theres only been 1054 girls do that.)
    Treat your body right. Eat!
    I did exactly as you..I did 1200 and didnt believe eating more could be true but when 500 people tell you to eat more because that is what worked for them then it had to be true! It`s true, it`s slow but it works!!
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I dont appreciate the negativity! MOTIVATION AND SUPPORT. I OBVISOULY DONT KNOW WHAT I AM DOING! THESITE TOLD ME TO EAT 1200 CALORIES A DAY!!!!!!!!!!!

I GAINED THIS WEIGHT FROM MY PREGNANCY! I AM INSECURE AND TRYING TO LOOSE WEIGHT. THANKS FOR NOTHING BUT MORE CRITICISM. IF ANY OF YOU CAN STOP AND READ INSTEAD OF TRYING TO BE THE "POST CLOWN" YOU WOULD SEE IT SAYS " I DONT UNDERSTAND THE RESTING CALORIE EQUATION!!" THAT WAS THE QUESTION.NOT YOUR OPINION ON THE NUMBERS I AM INSERTING INTO IT.

MFP TOLD YOU TO EAT 1200 CALORIES A DAY PLUS YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES. SO NOT JUST 1200 CALORIES TOTAL BUT NET!!!!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    This is not going to go well!
    How could it go wrong?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: nothing, nothing will go wrong. i predict this will be locked.
  • maddy8605
    maddy8605 Posts: 3
    Options
    http://www.debramoorhead.com/blog/index.php/how-i-lost-25-pounds-in-one-month/

/ PLEASE help. Im confused with the resting.calorie burning thing. So if my resting is 1520 and i eat 1200 and burn an additional 500 a day...how much weight should i loose a week? / I aiming for 1lb a day at least 5lbs a week. im 5'3 170 23 yr female

EDIT

IM ONLY TRYING TO LOOSE 5 LBS FOR THE FIRST WEEK AND THEN 2 AFTER(. Im trying to loose 10 lbs in 1 month), I GOT THE 1200 CALORIE INTAKE GOAL FORM THE SITE...WHAT SHOULD I BE EATING IF NOT 1200
    [/quote]
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options

how is it that you don't know what you're doing? have you ever been on a diet before? it sounds like you want to quickly loose weight which in the end is just going to hurt you because as WE ALL KNOW to loose that kind of weight that fast means you are NOT eating correctly and you are overdoing it on exercise so once you stop this cycle and go back to healthy eating habits you'll gain the weight back. WE'VE ALL DONE THIS!

what is the reason for wanting to drop 10lbs so fast/so soon? in the grand scheme of things 10lbs is not enough weight for someone to notice a significant change in you so if you're doing this because of an upcoming event/party/etc it really will not make a bit of difference.

if you are serious about loosing weight/becoming healthy then slow down. it's not a sprint it's a marathon. what exactly are you doing for exercise that you are burning 800 calories? if you seriously are burning this amount then you need to eat enough food to sustain this type of exercise (or else you'll wind up fainting or in the hospital due to fatigue). eating between 1200-1500 GOOD calories NET will give you the energy you need to keep up with your child.

so if you burn 800 calories and this site tells you to eat 1200 calories then you need to eat 1200 AFTER you factor in your 800 burned (you do not eat 1200 calories then BURN 800 and leave it at that).

almonds, peanut butter, cheese, eggs (the entire egg), chicken, fish, veggies, beans, hummus, potatoes all this is good for you.
  • bobbinseed
    bobbinseed Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    / PLEASE help. Im confused with the resting.calorie burning thing. So if my resting is 1520 and i eat 1200 and burn an additional 500 a day...how much weight should i loose a week? / I aiming for 1lb a day at least 5lbs a week. im 5'3 170 23 yr female

EDIT

IM ONLY TRYING TO LOOSE 5 LBS FOR THE FIRST WEEK AND THEN 2 AFTER(. Im trying to loose 10 lbs in 1 month), I GOT THE 1200 CALORIE INTAKE GOAL FORM THE SITE...WHAT SHOULD I BE EATING IF NOT 1200

I eat a multi grain cereal w/ 1%milk for breakfast on most days, then I will have my snack and possibly lunch. I then come type all the stuff into the app to gauge where I am for the day so far and also put in my exercise I have done to get an idea of what I still need to eat or maybe cut back on. AFTER the exercise you need to have eaten 1200 calories. Sorry for other sarcastic replies and please don't let that become a reason to not use the site bc it really is a great tool :)
  • MarizMommie
    MarizMommie Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Eat a little less, move a little more. If your BMR is 1520, you should at least be eating that since it is the amount your body uses on a daily basis without adding in exercise. If you would post your age, height and weight, that would be helpful in giving you advice. Also, you might lose 5 pounds the first week but it will be mostly water and not fat.

23 FEMALE 5'3 170
    i NEED CLARITY ON HOW MANY CALORIES i NEED TO EAT AND BURN TO LOOSE AT LEAST 1LB A WEEK,OR A LITTLE MORE FOR THE FIRST WEEK.
    (sorry caps)
  • MarizMommie
    Options

EDIT

Thank you i appreciate your response!
    :wink:

I eat a multi grain cereal w/ 1%milk for breakfast on most days, then I will have my snack and possibly lunch. I then come type all the stuff into the app to gauge where I am for the day so far and also put in my exercise I have done to get an idea of what I still need to eat or maybe cut back on. AFTER the exercise you need to have eaten 1200 calories. Sorry for other sarcastic replies and please don't let that become a reason to not use the site bc it really is a great tool :)
  • MarizMommie
    Options

how is it that you don't know what you're doing? have you ever been on a diet before? it sounds like you want to quickly loose weight which in the end is just going to hurt you because as WE ALL KNOW to loose that kind of weight that fast means you are NOT eating correctly and you are overdoing it on exercise so once you stop this cycle and go back to healthy eating habits you'll gain the weight back. WE'VE ALL DONE THIS!

what is the reason for wanting to drop 10lbs so fast/so soon? in the grand scheme of things 10lbs is not enough weight for someone to notice a significant change in you so if you're doing this because of an upcoming event/party/etc it really will not make a bit of difference.

if you are serious about loosing weight/becoming healthy then slow down. it's not a sprint it's a marathon. what exactly are you doing for exercise that you are burning 800 calories? if you seriously are burning this amount then you need to eat enough food to sustain this type of exercise (or else you'll wind up fainting or in the hospital due to fatigue). eating between 1200-1500 GOOD calories NET will give you the energy you need to keep up with your child.

so if you burn 800 calories and this site tells you to eat 1200 calories then you need to eat 1200 AFTER you factor in your 800 burned (you do not eat 1200 calories then BURN 800 and leave it at that).

almonds, peanut butter, cheese, eggs (the entire egg), chicken, fish, veggies, beans, hummus, potatoes all this is good for you.

I am a SAHM, I take my daughter to the park and either jog or speed walk for 30 minutes around the track. I do billy blanks hip hop /samba,I do zumba also. I do belly dancing, Some fitness blender. I also freestyle dance(hip hop) for about 30 minutes each day during cleaning.

I am tying to loose weight fast because =I want to look my best and not feel so insecure in general.I live in fl, and everyday is cut offs and crop tops..for everybody except me!