Any 911 dispatchers out there?

Options
kate7582
kate7582 Posts: 14 Member
Hiya,
We just got new desks that raise up so we are able to stand up now! Whoot whoot. Time to get this chunky paramedic butt in shape. I have been doing push ups against the raised desk and dips when it is lower.
Started with before pictures on Sunday and am down 5 whole lbs! Can't wait to see what my pics look like in 3 more weeks.

Replies

• anichole85
    anichole85 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm also a 911 dispatcher, and I must say I am SO JEALOUS of the desks! We want one SO BAD! :) Congrats on the 5 pound loss!
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Ive always wanted to try this as a career!
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Way to find a creative way to get some physical activity in during the work day!
  • bquillen
    bquillen Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am a 911 dispatcher and we have a few of the desk that raise up but we do not really use them that often.....we usually just try to do squats and other things where we can quickly get back to our consoles if needed......:smile: keep up the awesome job....
  • LizardQueen4PointOh
    LizardQueen4PointOh Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    911 dispatcher here! We've talked for years about getting the desks that raise to standing position. Maybe we'll get them in our new comm center (when it happens!). Lucky you! :smile:

BTW, based on your tickers you've got some awesome losses going on!
  • Siouxz39
    Siouxz39 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey there...I'm new here and a 911 dispatcher so you all know what kind of issues we can have with eating right. Would like to connect with some of you for support and ideas. I am in Virginia. Would love to hear from some of you!!
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'm not a 911 dispatcher at all, but the work you guys do is beyond amazing- and I commend each and every one of you for your work!!! :D
  • Swethington00
    Swethington00 Posts: 124
    Options
    Right here!!! Trying to change lifestyle while working 3rds is nearly impossible... But slow n steady wins the race right???
  • Shelleben82
    Shelleben82 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I've been dispatching for 2 years now. And when i started i was weighing at 130lbs. I went up to 165lbs in a lil over a year after working here. I didnt even realize it happened until it was too late. Take out food, quick snacks and donuts will take a toll on your body before you know it. It sucks so bad to be stuck at a desk for an entire shift and be hungry. I had to seriously get serious and plan my snacks accordingly and work on losing the weight. There is absolutely no reason for us to allow a job so AWESOME like ours to be a culprit in our weight gain due to the restrictions. I am now down to 141lbs and still working on the last 10ish. Its been a long and tired road because of the shift work, but if you try and stick to it, it is possible. This web site has been amazing, i slack a lot and dont take the time to log, but as long as i am (&you) are honest with what you put in your body and allow your body to put our (exercise) it is possible to fight the bulge :bigsmile: what we do is amazing!!!! so happy to see this thread!
  • GrillDaddy
    GrillDaddy Posts: 16
    Options
    17 year Vet. 12 hr shifts. Gained 65 lbs. Tried almost everything but only one at a time. I'd excercise but didnt watch diet or visa versa. Now I do both. Low carb, watch calories, P90X, C25k, and intermittent fasting. I cheat every week but down 40 lbs.

I recommend motivating the other dispatchers. We had a Biggest Loser contest. Everyone bought in $20 bucks. Winner take all. Set a goal like a dept wide mud run or 5k.

The comm center food is the worst culprit. Do salad buffets or low carb desserts.
  • 20kb13
    20kb13 Posts: 161
    Options
    Police dispatcher here... although I am EMD certified, I get to pass most of those calls off to the county!

We have some hand weights where I work which helps a little bit, I use the bathroom on the upstairs floor to get some extra activity in (and with as much water as I drink, I manage to go up there about 5 times a night if we aren't super busy).

I was considering buying a few of those pedal exercisers to get some more movement in while sitting at the desk, has anyone else tried those?
  • scjl132
    scjl132 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm not but I have a sister who has dispatched for decades! After she was dx with diabetes she discontinued most of the 3rd shift (which she preferred) and was able to go to days or a day/evening combination. This schedule allowed her to walk and plan the meals to balance her blood sugar and along with a lot of determination to manage diabetes with diet and exercise has lead to a loss of 40 lbs.
    Thanks dispatchers for your important work. You are truly unsung heroes. If I would ever have an emergency, I'd want someone like my sister on the other end of the line!
  • wanttoloseweight4
    Options
    im a paramedic!
  • Shelleben82
    Shelleben82 Posts: 483 Member
    Options

I was considering buying a few of those pedal exercisers to get some more movement in while sitting at the desk, has anyone else tried those?

BEST idea ever!!!! thanks :)
  • deemar54
    deemar54 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    NE Ohio right here!! We have the desks that raise to standing level right here, but after a co worker was messing with them and raised it too high (head level) causing it to break and about $2000 worth of computer monitors to crash to the floor, we are no longer allowed to raise them any higher than comfort level. I can agree 100% with the poor eating choices though. I will say with a MAJOR change in diet, from fast food/takeout/or having the guys bring it in, to salads, brown rice, veggies, and proteins brought from home and a gym membership later, I feel AWESOME! To all my brothers and sisters behind the headset, feel free to send friend requests! It's great to have other dispatchers going thru the same thing.
  • meredithgainey
    meredithgainey Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am an EMT in SC. I gained alot of weight since going to work on the truck with not eating right and grabbing something quick and etc. Also do alot of emotional eating. Bad call= junk food. Trying to get out of it!
  • steph1004
    steph1004 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My center has the foot pedals. They don't work well with the height of the chairs. Mini stair steppers work much better. They, also, bought us a bosu ball and hand weights. When it's slow at night(rare), people hula hoop and have push-up contests and such.
  • pjsdj
    pjsdj Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Any dispatchers interested in buddying up?
  • ashleykawalek
    ashleykawalek Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hello hello!! I am a 911 dispatcher also and it's so hard to find time to exercise but I do my best and I har lost 5 pounds in almost a month with a way better diet!! I am always looking for ways to work out at work!! I jut recently started using free weights this week!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!