Is size 10 fat?

Options
I ask not to start controversy, but because my whole adult life I have never been smaller then a size 18 and now, after nearly a year and a half of hard work I have found myself on the cusp of size 10. Initially I was happy and thought it was a great size, but when I go clothes shopping (again perhaps because I'm not used to how non-plus size stores work) I fee like I'm still obese and that a 10 is in fact a large size.

But sometimes I cant tell if its just cuz its a popular size and I have a hard time finding 10s - between literally having to scrape every shelf for a 10 (tons of 8s and 12s), to understanding how the whole straight numerical size works (ex: 32, 30, 31, etc), or is it just the stores Im visiting (H&M, Forever 21, etc.)?[admittedly I may be going to the wrong stores, but I'm trying not to buy into the whole vanity sizing and I want to be as close to a natural/ actual size 10 as possible - i.e. I want to be able to walk into any store and know that I can grab anything in that size and it will fit me]

Any advice would be great! Thanks!!!!

Replies

• weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You have answered your own question: "(tons of 8s and 12s)". Obviously size 10 is a common size and is NOT "fat" if there are tons of 12s.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    No, Size 10 is awesome!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    HELL NO!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    For those who are a size 8 or smaller, a 10 is fat.
    For those who are bigger than a 10, no it isn't.

Those responses are stupid and not helpful, b/c really, there is no right or wrong answer

If you are happy where you are, then go be happy. If you aren't, then keep working. It's really that simple.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I ask not to start controversy, but because my whole adult life I have never been smaller then a size 18 and now, after nearly a year and a half of hard work I have found myself on the cusp of size 10. Initially I was happy and thought it was a great size, but when I go clothes shopping (again perhaps because I'm not used to how non-plus size stores work) I fee like I'm still obese and that a 10 is in fact a large size.

But sometimes I cant tell if its just cuz its a popular size and I have a hard time finding 10s - between literally having to scrape every shelf for a 10 (tons of 8s and 12s), to understanding how the whole straight numerical size works (ex: 32, 30, 31, etc), or is it just the stores Im visiting (H&M, Forever 21, etc.)?[admittedly I may be going to the wrong stores, but I'm trying not to buy into the whole vanity sizing and I want to be as close to a natural/ actual size 10 as possible - i.e. I want to be able to walk into any store and know that I can grab anything in that size and it will fit me]

Your shopping at 'teen' stores, which have different sizing than other stores. Try Target, JC Penny, Old Navy, Kohls etc. And yes, size 10 can be a healthy size, and is also very popular :)
  • sharon_moyer
    sharon_moyer Posts: 177
    Options
    My goal size is a size 10 so if I reach that and someone thinks I'm fat then they better go take a good look at themselves. LOL
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You have answered your own question: "(tons of 8s and 12s)". Obviously size 10 is a common size and is NOT "fat" if there are tons of 12s.

Strong logic is strong. Have you checked obesity rates lately?
  • gpizzy
    gpizzy Posts: 171
    Options
    No. A size 10 is NOT fat. Clothing sizes have nothing to do with you being 'fat' or anything! There is no law that says a particular size must measure a certain number of inches. Example, at one time I was a small t-shirt size in Old Navy, and an XL at another store. It completely depends how they cut their clothes, and is completely dependent on stores.

Depending where you're from, you could be facing a shortage of sizes for 1) There are many people your size because it is an average size, so they buy up the clothing. 2) The store doesnt order a lot of that particular size and so it gets scooped up quickly.

No matter what - DO NOT LET THE SIZE DICTATE HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT YOURSELF! You've clearly transformed your body if you used to be a size 18. Be proud of yourself.
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options

Those responses are stupid and not helpful, b/c really, there is no right or wrong answer

If you are happy where you are, then go be happy. If you aren't, then keep working. It's really that simple.

:flowerforyou:
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on perspective. There is no definition of "fat." Personally, I don't think size 10 is large at all. I'm a size 8 (sometimes 6) and people have told me that I'm too thin!! It's because I have a large frame so even if I lose a ton of weight, I'll always wear a larger clothing size. However, if I had a very small frame and was naturally a size 2, and was wearing size 10s, then yes, that would probably mean I was overweight.

Don't let some stupid number define you. You've gone from a size 18 to a size 10 and that's incredible. If you want to lose more weight because you're not comfortable with your body that's fine, but don't base it off of what size you where. Be healthy and love yourself.
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You will never be able to walk into any store and grab a size 10 and know that it fits. All stores size differently so a 10 in one store is different than a 10 in another store.
    Obviously 10 is a very normal size if you have to scrape the shelves looking for them. Fat is different in each person's perception. If you think 10 is fat, that is your own belief. Not everyone will feel the same about being a 10. You should be proud to be a 10. It is a perfect size.
  • stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I wear a size 10 (sometimes an 8) and I am still, according the the BMI chart, in the OBESE catagory :)
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    You didn't say how tall you are, but you would have to be pretty short for a size 10 to be "fat." I have never been smaller than a 16 before now (I'm currently 12-14) and 10 is what I'm targeting. If I get there and feel like I have more to lose, I'll continue but for now that seems like a realistic goal and one that would look good for me.

Are you happy with the way you look when you find clothes in that size? If you find things you like, you can always order the size 10 from an on line store. Most stores have them now and sometimes the prices are a little cheaper.
  • _Krys10_
    _Krys10_ Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

Your shopping at 'teen' stores, which have different sizing than other stores. Try Target, JC Penny, Old Navy, Kohls etc. And yes, size 10 can be a healthy size, and is also very popular :)

This
    I wear a 7/8 in teen stores but a 2/4 in adult stores
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how tall you are. If someone 3' tall was wearing size 10 they might look a little large.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I think it is all relative. I have never been a size 10; at my largest I was at a size 8 (170lbs) and my BF% and BMI were way too high. However I am sure there are plenty of women who are healthy and feel awesome in a size 10!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    It's probably a popular size. You will never be able to walk into a store, grab that size, and call it a day, not unless the women's wear industry has a coup and undergoes serious reform. Keep in mind how your own body is feeling and how you match up against medical measures like body fat %, not your dress size. Sure, there are much tinier sizes, but how tall are you? What's your bone structure? If I was at normal weight, I would be terribly tiny, and tiny people need jeans too. D: A size 10 compared to a size 18 is a huge difference! Just think about that. (:
  • anneid
    anneid Posts: 8
    Options
    Well, the new plus size now starts at size 12, so you are just under that. I have been pertty much a size 14 for most of my adult life, except after the birth of my daughter and then I think I was up to a size 18 at one point for awhile. I am finally in a size 12 and so excited, but feel much the way you do and that this is still a plus size. It use to be that size 16 and up was considered plus. Who comes up with these ideas of what is plus size and what is 'fat'? I do think that size 10 is an average size, so that is probably why you have a hard time finding that size as everyone is that size. Congrats to you for getting down to a size 10. Best of luck!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

True dat!!!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    No matter what size you are, you're never going to be able to just walk in to any store and have all size 10 (or 6 or 18) just fit you no matter what. All brands size differently and every piece of clothing is cut differently.

Maybe talk to a counselor to make sure you're not dealing with some body image issues... and then decide if you feel strong and healthy and happy, and go from there. The number on the tag in your pants does not matter.