Is size 10 fat?

Options

Replies

• MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    It's the stores you're shopping at. Forever 21 and all those places aren't marketed for adults they're marketed for high school girls. Shop somewhere else you'll find a much easier time. I know for a fact that walmart has plenty of size ten's as I wear that size, or did I haven't raelly worn jeans in a while, and to make it feel even better teh ten's aren't located on the plus side of the store :)
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    It depends on your height and shape and brand of clothing. Some clothing brands run smaller than others. I have 3 different pairs of pants that fit me the same...16w, 16 and 14 and guess what? no matter what the tags say....I'm still the size I am right now. So unless you are buying exactly the same cut, brand and style of one particular jean or whatever...buy the size that fits you the best and don't worry about what the tag says. Each store/brand/cut/style is going to fit different.
  • kimjmay
    kimjmay Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have had alot of issues over the years fitting a size 10. It is a tough size because it seems to be inbetween regular sizes and plus sizes. An 8 is way too tight, a 12 is way too big......you're not junior sizes, not plus sizes.....it is beyond frustrating.
    Yes Forever 21 and H&M are hard stores to shop in if you are not a size 0.....they design their clothes for girls with no curves.
    Try Reitmans & even Sears...they don't sell just old lady clothes anymore, I was pleasantly surprised. Also, the Jessica simpson line at the Bay is designed for girls with curves, super sexy and fit really well.
    Good luck and congrats on your weight loss journey....you are rockin it!!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    context.

I am 5'11

size 10 will be a lot different for me than someone a foot shorter.

you really cant go by number size.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    It depends on your height. If you are a 6' tall gall, then size 10 is probably quite slender. If you top out at 4'11, you're probably overweight in a size 10.

As far as sizes that are left go, it's Murphy's Law, regardless of what size you wear.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    You have answered your own question: "(tons of 8s and 12s)". Obviously size 10 is a common size and is NOT "fat" if there are tons of 12s.

Sorry, I don't agree with your logic. Size 10 isn't fat because it's what a lot of people are wearing? Assuming she's in the US, that logic is a bit flawed as I would say the average American IS fat..

OP, it's a size on a tag. Do you feel fat or do you like the size that you are?

It's not just about sizing, I'm pretty sure most of us women would love to just walk into a store, grab a size, and have it fit perfectly. But sizing varies from store to store. In one store I might be a 4, another a 6, and in some a 7 or 8. It all depends. Don't let the size on a tag make you feel fat. Who cares about "vanity" sizing? If it fits, it fits, if it doesn't, it doesn't. Grab another size. Again, it's just a number on a tag.
  • meltedkeys
    meltedkeys Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    in order to know, you need to find out one thing. what is your body fat percentage at A size 10 going to be. healthy women have between 12 and 20% body fat.
  • sugarkissprincess
    sugarkissprincess Posts: 2,595 Member
    Options
    Size 10 is Awesome. You should be extremely proud and I know you are a inspiration to me! :) Keep your head up
  • WoWkat
    WoWkat Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I wear a size 10 (sometimes an 8) and I am still, according the the BMI chart, in the OBESE catagory :)

I wear an 8, sometimes a 6, and I too am considered obese.. So I don't think that clothing size is really a good indicator of being "fat"
  • jsbieniek
    jsbieniek Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I think a 10 is awesome. I started out a 16/18 (16's were tight, 18's were loose) and I am in a 12 now. I always used to say I would be so happy if I could get back to a 12. Know what? Now I want to get into a 10! I will know when I get to where I truly want to be. You will too, trust yourself. If you like what you see in the mirror, it's great! Be happy and don't second guess what has obviously been a lot of hard work! Congrats on those 10's!
  • Amyy1982
    Amyy1982 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    When I fit into size 10 (about 10years ago) I was 155lbs, healthy weight for my height (5'9). I guess it depends on your frame, height etc. I look forward to being that size again! :ohwell:

And I'm pretty sure you can shop anywhere once you fit into size 10! :happy:

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how tall you are. If someone 3' tall was wearing size 10 they might look a little large.

lol...
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    context.

I am 5'11

size 10 will be a lot different for me than someone a foot shorter.

you really cant go by number size.

Also, a size 10 will look different on people of varying body fat percentages.

A size is a size, that's all. It's not a good indicator of body appearance.
  • blakerb29
    blakerb29 Posts: 74
    Options
    Can't believe it when it is even questioned.
    Have people forgot the phrase perfect 10?!

On a more technical side. You should really go by body fat percentage as that is the best indicator.

-Blake
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Here's a size chart breakdown for you:

Extra Small - Size 00/0
    Small - Size 2/4
    Medium - Size 6/8
    Large - Size 10/12
    Extra Large - Size 14/16.

So yes, a 10 *is* a large size, but does that mean someone who wears a 10 is fat? Not necessarily. It's all relative to body composition, weight, and height. For some, a size 10 is perfect. For others, it's too large.

But more importantly, why does it matter?
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Depends on the body that is wearing it. A size 10 on someone tall looks different than it does on someone short. Also matters if you are a pear, apple, or whatever. Don't judge yourself by your pant size, just rejoice in the fantastic progress you've made.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    1. Fat mass index
    2. Fat-free mass index
    3. Waist circumference
    4. Waist-to-height ratio
    5. Percent body fat

Hell... even BMI is a better way to measure "FAT" than size... Manufacturer sizing is of no consequence.
  • cHaRlIe0411
    cHaRlIe0411 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I used to be a size 8 and I have never been overweight. It also depends on hip size. I have a friend who is the same shape as me, but she is much smaller everywhere- she's shorter, her hips are less wide, etc. She used to wear size 5 when I wore size 8, and we had about the same amount of belly fat. So, for her, wearing a size 10 WOULD be fat, but that's because her frame is so small that it would take her a lot of fat to be able to fit into size 10. On the other hand, I could have worn a size 10 without being overweight.
  • quichetrees
    quichetrees Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    H&M is usually pretty good about having a wide range of sizes that are well-stocked, in my experience. I wear a size 8 in some styles, size 10 in others, and I've always been able to find both sizes at H&M. Maybe yours just has a really bad stockroom manager, or everyone who wears your size is getting to the racks before you are.

I do think you'll have better luck finding stuff in department stores like Macy's and JC Penney's. Size 10 is pretty easy to find, even on clearance racks. Also, check out Ann Taylor. Ann Taylor has a reputation for only having dowdy middle-aged stuff, but I'm twenty-one and I shop there whenever there's a sale. Their spring and summer fashions are especially nice.
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Well as size 10 isn't large I was a 10 for a couple weeks but recently went to a 8 I started at a 12 after a 25 lbs loss here I'am. I'm 4ft 10in and no one would ever say I was a large person even at a 10. I know that those stores you mentioned are for junior sizing which I can no longer wear after my two daughters 19 months apart and well I feel odd in those stores since Im 29 and counting lol. So I go to places with misses or petite sizes for myself. They always fit better I love the gap actually never liked it as teen weird.So to answer your question if size 10 is large things must have really changed I thought a 12 to 14 was the average size of a woman these days. Of course I'm not average at 4ft 10 but regardless no worries, may be you should shop in other stores junior sizing makes everyone feel bigger there clothes are made slimmer I see.