Is size 10 fat?

Options

Replies

• imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Clothing size is probably not the best way to go about this. My closet is full of clothing sizes XS to XL, Pant size 8-12. I consider myself healthy with a bit of extra fluff but not fat by any means. I am short, have broad shoulders, wide hips, and I have a lot of muscle under my bit of fluff. Before I worked out, I was a squishy size 10. Now, I'm a lot firmer because my muscles are bigger and I've trimmed some fat. I think fat is an extremely relative term. Some people would consider a size 10 gross. I think it's an acceptable size on anyone- even very fit in many cases- and greatly depends on a person's build. How do YOU feel?
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Clothes shopping is a pain no matter what size you are. It always feels like the "cute things" are in another size.

Treat yourself. Go to a high end store, find a GOOD sales person and work with them to suggest and try some things on. You'll find something you look great in and feel wonderful. It's worth it now and then to get over that "am I still fat" feeling.
  • aepdx
    aepdx Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I think it is all relative. I have never been a size 10; at my largest I was at a size 8 (170lbs) and my BF% and BMI were way too high. However I am sure there are plenty of women who are healthy and feel awesome in a size 10!

It does all depend on your body shape. If I was 170 pounds, I would be wearing a size 14, definitely not a 10. At 145 pounds I was wearing a 10. Now I am 136 and down to an 8… I bet there are tons of people that could fit into a 6 or 4 at this weight.
  • JCM1969
    JCM1969 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    For me... a size 10 was larger than I wanted to be... Now Im a 6 or 8 and I am happier with how I look.
    It is all individual.
  • nikkylyn
    nikkylyn Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Im 5fit 6 and Im a size 10. Instead of trying to figure out if that size is too big. congratulate yourself a on a job well done. 18 to 10 thats awesome.

I bet if you polled women who are size 10 you would find they vary a lot in weight and bmi and all that.

Just keep working at it you will find your ideal body weight/ size/ etc..
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Clothing size doesn't give a crap about your body fat percentage. I wear a size 12 at 18% body fat, because an "average" size female frame is about 17 inches from shoulder point to shoulder point. These are BONES. They don't move regardless of weight. I have a large size frame which is 19 inches from shoulder point to shoulder point. When I am *tiny* (for me) I still wear a size 12 suit jacket. No getting around being broad shouldered. I will NEVER be a size zero, even at an unhealthy body fat percentage.

So, a size 10 being a big size depends on YOU and YOUR FRAME.
  • mair123
    mair123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love your response- so honest and true- and very much how most women think! I have lost over 60+ lbs. over a 9 1/2 month span. According to my husband, I was perfect when I hit a size 10, but I had a certain goal in mind and continued losing. Everyone's frame and shape is different. A size 10 can go either way. Be proud of the progress you made, and be honest with yourself- are YOU happy with where you are right now? Are you at a point where you can comfortably and happily maintain this new healthier lifestyle? I don't know how old you are- but stores like Forever 21 and H&M do run small.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    A BIG CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS!

first no a size 10 is not fat. second there comes a point in every woman's life when she must stop shopping at teen stores and move on over to the grown up stores. just because it's called forever 21 doesn't mean you should shop there when you are in your 30s. the clothes at those stores are cut smaller.

ann taylor, the loft, white house black market, banana republic, j crew, talbots, kohls and even jc penny have some really great clothes.
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10&1/2"

Currently size 12 loose 10if I suck it in
    Goal is size 8/10 depending on brand

I have wide hips so I think any smaller I would have to shave my bones down to reach it.:bigsmile:
  • hkmurphy83
    hkmurphy83 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on the person. I'm 5'6" and have worn 18s my whole adult life (I'll be 30 in a week and a half). I'm on the cusp of a size 10 as well. My belly pooch has almost disappeared, I have some visible abs (if I squint :) ), and am developing a strong sexy booty and thighs. For me, a 10 is a rock star size. Other people may have differing opinions. I don't care what they think.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Depends. If someone is 35% body fat and size 10 or 20% body fat and size 10, then of course the 35% body fat person would be considered fat. Body fat % is how fat is determined.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I used to be a size 6 and was fat so in my opinion, size 10 is a large size and while not morbidly obese, yes probably overweight. But in reality it is about body fat not dress size. When I was a size 6 I was at 28-30% body fat so yes I was fat.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I wear a size 10 (sometimes an 8) and I am still, according the the BMI chart, in the OBESE catagory :)

And I wear size 10, sometimes an 8, and I'm in the healthy category with a body fat percentage in the "fitness" range.

Comparing sizes is meaningless.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I think it is all relative. I have never been a size 10; at my largest I was at a size 8 (170lbs) and my BF% and BMI were way too high. However I am sure there are plenty of women who are healthy and feel awesome in a size 10!

It does all depend on your body shape. If I was 170 pounds, I would be wearing a size 14, definitely not a 10. At 145 pounds I was wearing a 10. Now I am 136 and down to an 8… I bet there are tons of people that could fit into a 6 or 4 at this weight.

Yep! I am 145lbs now and on the verge of fitting a size 4! Size doesn't matter!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    in order to know, you need to find out one thing. what is your body fat percentage at A size 10 going to be. healthy women have between 12 and 20% body fat.

This is incorrect. The healthy range for women goes to 24% and higher (though the upper end depends on who you ask).

Ideal-Body-Fat-Percentage-Chart1.jpg
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    It would depend on how tall you are. A size 10 on someone 5' tall is a lot different than a size 10 on someone 5'8". The equivalent Junior's size, btw, should be about a size 13.

I'm 5'5" and a size 10 would put me in the overweight category, but only by a little bit.
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's ginormous.
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If you are comfortable in your own skin, then no, size 10 is not fat. I think it's average. We all forget it's about being tone or healthy, not about a number on the scale or on pants & dress size. Heck , my lower end wears a medium, my top half wears a large! I'm almost 50 years old, and I can do circles around both my kids (late 20's).
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options
    you have a beautiful, curvaceous size 10 woman and put her next to a cute little size 4 woman. curvy woman is proportionate and "carries her weight well" while the cute woman has saddlebags and a muffin top. not fat at all... I see a lot of women who are bigger than me size wise and find myself feeling jealous of how great they look!