Venting

Options

Replies

• FettsLady
    FettsLady Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Success is not final, and failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts.

THIS is so true. Very well stated.
  • PhoenixGT13
    PhoenixGT13 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. Several years ago I lost 73 lbs all on my own. Then I had a fall that threw everything out of whack. I wound up only 20-ish pounds under my high weight from before. Here I am trying again -- probably the 20th time since my fall in 2010 -- tracking calories, waters, exercise, pushing myself when I don't feel like it - and I am not making progress hardly at all. My doctor has ordered Qsymia (weight loss pill) for me and it will get here next week. I am taking garcinia cambogia which is supposed to be so great -- half the time I forget to take it -- I don't always know when it's a half hour before my meal. Anyway trust me -- I GET YOU. Let's encourage each other! You have done well already -- 14 lbs ain't nothin! :)
  • Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    What do you want? I think we both know the answer to that question....

Anything worth going after in life is hard work. Plan an simple. When I first started going to the gym. I felt stupid...why is the fat girl in the gym. But you know I looked around and there are some nice bodies there, there are some not so nice bodies there. Then one day I saw the 350 to 400 pound man there. I said --- Okay time to go hard or go home. I mean really if he can do it. So can I.

I was only doing 30 min. on the treadmill. Nothing more. The weighs scared me. I felt stupid doing it. But now I am can do a 4.0 speed intervals for up to an hour. I can do the ellipitical for 45 min. The weights still scare me. But I am working on that.

I say hello or smile at people who pass me. They are HUMAN and if they think they are better than me. Well they have issues.

I am NOT there to impress anyone. Well I am..to impress ME! I do feel empowered and proud when I finish a work out. When my hair is wet from sweat. When I feel the burn in my legs the next day.

If I even listened to everything that has been said to me. I would be in a hole right now.

You can do this. But you have to believe that you can do this. Girl this is a total mind game.
  • amandajones1978
    Options
    It doesnt get easier, you just get stronger. Stay with it, because it will pay off.

I just started running in November, I couldnt even run a full mile and I had constant problems with my hips and IT bands. But I stuck with it and kept pushing myself.

Last week I ran 6 miles and in October I will be running my first half-marathon.

Tips:
    1. Get a GOOD pair of running shoes! They are worth the extra money. Go to a running store and they will analyze your gait and suggest the best shoes for you. As a runner, your feet are your greatest asset.
    2. Get a run buddy, prefereably someone at your same pace. It makes the run go easier IMO if you have someone to talk to and motivate each other.
    3. Do not increase your distance or speed more than 10% each week, this is where new runners injure themselves and cause a setback in their workout.
    4. Stretch and foam roll. I cannot stress this enough. I do dynamic stretches before my run (squats, lunges. etc.) just to warm up the muscles and do the static stretching and foam rolling after, for at least 20 minutes.

Good luck! You got this!
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I went to two zumba classes this week and I haven't been in months. The teacher was super intense and even though I ate before class to give me energy, I felt pooped out 20 minutes into it but there was no way I was going to quit because I needed that 400 calorie burn! It's all about your attitude.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I tried that. I'd walk/jog with people in better shape then me, and I felt like I was dying. Then, I worked out with a friend who has been losing weight longer than me, but wasn't a runner, and we'd do things like jog for two lamp posts, walk for 3. Then the next time we tried to jog for 5 lamp posts and walk for 7. And we were slow; people walking would pass us.

Then, I went for a run by myself, and I tried to go even slower (barely a jog really). And I jogged for 12 minutes straight. And I didn't hate it. And I think that was the biggest accomplishment for me. So I can work on speed later, but for now, I just want to be able to "run" and not hate it. SLOW DOWN, and don't try and keep up with the others. It can do wonders.
  • InstantKarma24
    InstantKarma24 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    First time a good friend of mine played basketball with me we warmed up with some light one-on-one (sub 50% speed), and he had to stop after a couple of points. He started feeling faint and nauseous. On his way home, he had to step off the bus and throw up. That was a little more than a year and a half ago.

Now? The guys a beast. Balls for a couple hours and then goes and lifts heavy weights. We talk about that first instance all the time, not because it's embarrassing for him, but because it's something he can point to and say "that's how far I've come!"

Your inability to do something is nothing more than a point in time in the past you can look back at with pleasure in the future...
  • krisjohnson121
    krisjohnson121 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have lost and gained weight more than I want to admit. I go to the gym, get in shape and then give up and gain more weight than I started with. Its hard! I have to stay that the first time I started to go to the gym is was hard! And it stayed that way for a while but eventually I started to enjoy it. Every time I go back I get into it just a little bit quicker.

One word of advice - find an exercise routine that you really like. When I first started to work out I really liked Step, but for some reason I no longer enjoy it. This time I am doing the C25K program and Zumba - and I am really liking both. Try a couple different workout options - maybe walking/running is not for you. Have you tried a spinning class? Its a great workout and if you find a good instructor they are good at keeping you motivated.

Also remember - working out is not meant to be easy! Every workout should be a challenge - if its not then you are not really working out. When I go to the gym and I go to the fitness classes everyone is busting their butt the very fit and the not as fit. Good Luck!
  • gallingers06
    gallingers06 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think everybody has been there, and will continue to be. It's hard work. If you're doing it right, it always will be. Once it starts paying off though, the momentum and motivation build up. You can draw off of that to get you through those days when you just want to quit. You've got this.

When all else fails, watch a Rocky movie.

"Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now if you know what you're worth then go out and get what you're worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain't you! You're better than that!" - Rocky Balboa

This ^!! Very well stated. I think this is my "I think I am going to quit" pep talk!!
  • krisjohnson121
    krisjohnson121 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hey I saw your comment about the weights... I used to feel the same way. What gym do you go to? Most gyms have a weight training group exercise class (I go to LA Fitness they call it Body Works) I really like it. They show you the exercises with free weights so that you can learn proper form and you do not need to step one foot into the weight area of the gym.

Good Luck!
  • xynyth
    xynyth Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I just keep telling myself that if I give up I'll NEVER get there. Nothing worth doing is easy and no one is going to wave a magic wand over me and make me fit overnight, but if I just. keep. going. I WILL get there. And you will too :)
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I started C25K at 230lbs because I kept seeing other bigger girls doing it. It took about two weeks before I was able to stop feeling embarrassed, stupid and bouncy while jogging for one minute in my house alone. Six weeks later and I am able to jog 20 minutes straight, something I never thought I would be able to do. It is emotional and scary! This whole healthy lifestyle is intimidating but it is worth it, even when the progress is slow or stops, even when everyone else seems to be losing more, burning more calories and eating way better then you. This is a personal lifestyle change and all of our experiences will be different however we all have one thing in common and that is to lose weight and get healthy with the support of others who are going through the same struggles and triumphs as we are. Keep at it!!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I think it was Greg LeMond that once said, "It never gets easier, you just go faster." So true. Keep it up and what you are doing now will soon be easy, but you'll push harder to go faster so it always remains hard. That said, it is true that you probably need to slow down for now and build some fitness. Focus on staying with it and take a long term view. You have the rest of your life to work on speed. Like so may others I started running with c25k and found it to be an effective way to build up to continuous running. I then repeated the early weeks doing jog/sprints instead of walk/runs to build speed. I much prefer cycling to running, but the doing both on alternate days is great. It took a while but I can now say I really love running - especially trail running!
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    honestly, I don't know anyone who HASN'T at one time felt like this....You just push through it...or you don't change. Right now..I feel like crap...I don't want to do anything. But I also know that if I go to the gym, or run, that will help me feel a little less crappy. It improves my mood and my outlook on life.

So, do or don't do...there is no try...and it is only up to you.

tumblr_lgjofpMrup1qfgt74o1_500.jpg
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone for all of your responses, and I totally understand when you say, find something that you like to do, however, I know I'm not going to EVER like jogging, but I WANT to be able to do it.. I don't want to do it or find something else because it's something that I CANNOT do.. (Sorry about all the ",'s" ) I will fosho try out the C25K app.. If anyone else has some good tips please share, I'm always looking for more motivating MFP friends.. And I definatly couldn't keep up with the group even if I wanted to (which I don't want to fool anyone, I did want to). It's a work thing so it's not people that I would normally associate with, but again I want to be able to do it thats kinda what I'm gettin at.. **sigh** Thanks for all the good advice love you all!

In six months if you keep at it I will almost guarantee you will be on this forum telling everyone how great jogging is. You will get there just pace yourself and don't overdo at first.
  • Bbuser51
    Bbuser51 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    We've all felt like this at some point. Don't compare yourself with others and maybe go out on your own to practice your walk/run. But remember when it does get easy it's time to kick it up a notch!
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    You haven't been at it for long, but don't be discouraged. Don't compare how you feel on the inside to how others look on the outside. Don't exercise with "fit" people if it discourages you.

When I first started running, I was 234 lbs. I couldn't last a minute without feeling like I was dying. Then I remember how excited I was when I ran 2 minutes IN A ROW. Now, it boggles my mind that I was even able to run at all with all that weight on me.

Keep on keepin' on. You'll get there. You may not notice it at first, but one day soon enough, you'll look back and think, Hey, now I'm __________ (fill in the blank).
  • avrobin03
    avrobin03 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone for all the comments and tips.. I was seriously having a pity party I'm definatly going to keep going.. I don't think I will ever like running, but I don't want that to stop me from acheiving those little mile stones.. I went again today and did tremendously better than I did the other day.. So I'm already feeling better.. I love that I can do a post and get so much great feedback, it's so much easier to type out my frustration than to talk to someone about it, because 10 min later I feel like an idiot.. So thanks again MFP'ers :-)
  • christinemac17
    christinemac17 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    ^^^ YES!!
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I can relate to getting discouraged during a run. Its just soooooo booooorrrrrrrring to me. I know that there are many who like it, and good for them...but not for me! The only time that I am entertained when running is if my little one is riding his trike around the walking trails and we make a game out of it. We did that for 40 minutes today actually, it was great!
    Anyway, some people are runners and some aren't. I'm sure you'll either adjust if you really want to run, or you'll find your niche elsewhere. Good luck! :flowerforyou: