Is size 10 fat?

Options

Replies

• KtotheD78
    KtotheD78 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It's the stores. Those are teen sizes.. which are TEENY.
    For me, an adult size 10 is uncomfortable-heavy because of where I gain my weight (stomach). On another person, it looks normal or on a tall person it would be thin.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Depends on your height and frame and whether it's a top or pants. I have wide hips and narrow shoulders. If I'm not breastfeeding, a size 10 fits me in the shoulders and bust; if I'm breastfeeding, I need it bigger if it buttons down the front. But I have to go with a larger size pants, because my hips have always been wide and 3 babies only made them wider. LOL!

Honestly, Americans worry too much about sizes. I am American, but I have been to Europe. There people dress not for the number but for how it looks on their figure. I've seen a lot of people poured into a pair of pants that was too small and too low cut, with the muffin top flopped over them. A larger size of pants would have looked much more flattering. It's better to wear what looks good on you and forget what size it is.

I think I'm down to a size 12. For me, that's a bit big, but I wasn't in it a month ago, so I'm happy for the moment, and looking forward to getting down to a 10!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Sizes aren't fat. People are fat.
  • neretete
    neretete Posts: 30
    Options
    I certainly hope not, since I just spent a ton of money buying all kinds of size 10 pants! I am right where I want to be minus some toning. I would hate to have wasted all that money because I replenished my wardrobe while I am still fat!!!

Seriously, as long as you are at a healthy weight and are staying active your perfect size is where you feel happiest and most comfortable with yourself. Don't let the size of others or the numbers on a tag make you feel less beautiful than you already are!!!
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I can be a size 10 as well a 7, 8, 9, 11, and sometimes 12 lol. So, it really depends on the piece of clothing. I will go to one store and get a few different sizes and different pieces of clothing. I will end up buying a size 8, 10, and 11. So, it really depends on the clothing. I think it also depends on your height and body frame. If you have an hourglass shape like I do then your fat is more proportioned, I'd say. BMI is so dumb. I'm overweight according to it, but I know that I'm healthy, and I look good.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    For those who are a size 8 or smaller, a 10 is fat.
    For those who are bigger than a 10, no it isn't.

Those responses are stupid and not helpful, b/c really, there is no right or wrong answer

If you are happy where you are, then go be happy. If you aren't, then keep working. It's really that simple.

This.

I'm around 8-6 and 10 with some jeans and I think it's fat, to me personally. With that said, I've also been a 0 and would like to be that size again.
  • hablondi
    hablondi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    There is not a straight one size fits all answer to that question. I think it depends on your height and body composition. For me, yes, a size 10 is fat. It is what I am in right now and I have 32% body fat which is right on the cusp of being considered unhealthy for my age and height. But for someone with larger bones and larger muscles a size and lower body fat, a size 10 might be there "skinny" size.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    By the way, have you ever been out of the US? I've traveled extensively and can guarantee you that our country is very fat compared to most of the rest of the world.

The US definitely takes the prize in terms of developed countries, but I'm guessing your travels haven't included Kuwait. Or Micronesia. or Samoa. They're all fatter.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Who knows, I'm a size 12 and my BMI says I'm Obese
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Depends how tall you are.

If you are 5'0", yes, it's fat. If you are 5'6", it's perfect.

My wife is a size 6-8 at 5'0". If she were a size 10 she'd look too big.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Depends. My friend who is teeny tiny (short and very compact frame) would look large as a 10; she looks grand and quite healthy in a 4/6. I'll hit a 10 in another 15 pounds or so, which will have my weight at a 23/24 BMI. I'm 8 inches taller with a broader frame.
  • Jennjo322
    Jennjo322 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am not trying to start controversy here, but this mindset is what is wrong with our society. Size 0 is admired and leaves those of us women with an *kitten* and hips and who have given birth to think a size 10 isnt good enough? That's a shame. Considering dropping from an 18 to a 10 is huge accomplishment!! Ultimately if you want to be less than a 10 then go for it, just don't put that mindset that it's fat..it's healthy and the norm for the average woman in the US.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Sizes are dumb, to begin with.

And it all depends on the person. On my short azz, size 10 would be big and I would definitely be in either the overweight or obese BMI category. When I was a size 10 I was 160-ish pounds at 5'4" and definitely felt "fat." However, on a nice tall person or someone who carries their weight in a better way than I do, it's a great size.

Bottom line is that it's all subjective anyways.
  • janisskoczylas
    janisskoczylas Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Depends how tall you are.

If you are 5'0", yes, it's fat. If you are 5'6", it's perfect.

My wife is a size 6-8 at 5'0". If she were a size 10 she'd look too big.

I hope your wife doesn't know that. FTR, when I was in a size 10 pants at certain stores, I was in a 6 or an 8 in other stores. And weightwise, when I lost 5 lbs, I was in a 4 or six in jeans. I'm 5'1. So I hope your wife doesn't put on 5-10 lbs because then you would think she's too big.
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    So I hope your wife doesn't put on 5-10 lbs because then you would think she's too big.

Yes I would, and she knows I would. We're both very honest about our physical ideals. We both concentrate hard on looking good.
  • janisskoczylas
    Options
    I am not trying to start controversy here, but this mindset is what is wrong with our society. Size 0 is admired and leaves those of us women with an *kitten* and hips and who have given birth to think a size 10 isnt good enough? That's a shame. Considering dropping from an 18 to a 10 is huge accomplishment!! Ultimately if you want to be less than a 10 then go for it, just don't put that mindset that it's fat..it's healthy and the norm for the average woman in the US.

Exactly. It's not about the size in your pants. I've given birth to two little boys and I don't think my hips will ever be smaller than a size 4 or 6. My breasts are too large for small shirts. It doesn't matter how much weight I lose, I'm still not going to be a size 0 or extra small. But I can still feel great, look great, and be healthy. Isn't that the point of all this????
  • goalss4nika
    goalss4nika Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    For those who are a size 8 or smaller, a 10 is fat.
    For those who are bigger than a 10, no it isn't.

Those responses are stupid and not helpful, b/c really, there is no right or wrong answer

If you are happy where you are, then go be happy. If you aren't, then keep working. It's really that simple.

:flowerforyou:

:flowerforyou:
  • janisskoczylas
    Options
    So I hope your wife doesn't put on 5-10 lbs because then you would think she's too big.

Yes I would, and she knows I would. We're both very honest about our physical ideals. We both concentrate hard on looking good.

Wowza. I can only shake my head and laugh at this. Good luck with that.
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    You're 31....and shopping in "juniors" stores...try some good ol reliable stores instead of the trendy ones.....and no, 10 is not fat.....it all depends on proportion....
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    U.S size 10 is i think a UK size 14.... whilst not skinny in the UK, you are below average size.