Still think 'eating organic' isn't worth it?

Options

Replies

• triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    The article has nothing to do with organic food.

Organic farming is too inefficient to feed the population.

:drinker: THIS!!!!

For the people eating organic, what are your long term goals to prevent famine?
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    are you going to pay for my groceries? i buy organic when i can, but sometimes it just too expensive.

what a crazy thing to say, we are all in the same boat trying to afford the best we can for our families. You should hit up Monsanto to pay for your groceries since they are working so hard to poison teh population in order to make money!

Seriously though: look in to a CSA, For $650 dollars, I get 6-8 months worth of veggies.... I just finished the organic veggies I put up last fall.

That's a great idea, if I can't afford it...I'll sue somebody until I can!!!

it makes more sense to hold the entity causing the problem accountable than to ask some random person sharing info on a chat board to support you.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Genuine question: wouldn't the organic crops be "contaminated" with pesticides as well, because it is in all the water, air and soil already?
    true but you'd probably be eating less of it..

for me the takeaway from this is not necessarily to buy all organic products, but to work towards a situation where i can grow my own stuff as much as possible.

as others have noted, organic farming for the masses is unsustainable unless we're talking about killing off a lot of the population ahead of time so there are less mouths to feed in that fashion.

also part of me is only with the "local grown movement" (and it's really big here in the bay area) when the ingredients are tasty. i've had far too many local grown and raised crap recently that tastes bland and flavorless.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Couple of things worth thinking about:

First without actually reading the ruling (I just read the article) it's unclear what Monsanto was found guilty of. It appears they were found guilty of lousy labeling; insufficient warnings and instruction about use of a toxic product, so the guy used it incorrectly and successfully sued.

Does make one wonder why a farmer is applying pesticides without protection, labeling or not, but OK. I'm sorry he has suffered.

Second, with regard to the product itself, it looks lousy, but the whole thing about "setting acceptable limits to zero" also happens when the data isn't available to ascertain what the long term effects might be, so the limits are set at zero to "err" on the conservative side. Looks like this stuff is pretty nasty at any rate, but then again, it is a POISON.

Third, the whole argument about whether or not to buy organic food can only take place in a post-agrarian civilization where produce is now mass produced, mass transported, and mass distributed. THAT only happens because of Monsanto (and its ilk) who have worked with what is collectively called "Big Agra" to kill pests and promote all kinds of crazy growth; the end result of which is the ability to commoditize food and deliver by means of a very efficient logistics chain. Without that chain we'd be back to local growers growing only what the climate and soil in their areas will produce, and with the "forces of nature" - and then people would be complaining about why the government isn't stepping in to feed them when drought strikes (as it has for the past 6 years in Texas) or insects run amok, and crops fail.

All that said - I buy, grow and eat organic whenever possible; I am not a fan of poisons in my food chain (no matter whether they're coming from the chemical industry or from "naturally occurring" poison) and I try to buy local. I think lots of folks have become extremely spoiled by the abundance of food in some places in the world and wouldn't have a clue what to do if the whole supply chain went away - myself included. This is not a defense of Monsanto, bad labeling, or pesticides; it's just a statement that it's a pretty complex situation that folks seem to want to boil down to "good guys" and "bad guys" and it ain't that simple.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I respect the right of others to eat organic, but it isn't for me.

i don't understand how anyone could say that eating stuff grown from the earth in the way it's been done for thousands of years "isn't for them" in comparison to supporting mega-corps like Monsanto using genetically modified organisms, pesticides, and invasive gene therapy. 1 hour of research into the disgusting business practices of Monsanto should scare anyone.

the only reason organic is more expensive is because corps like Monsanto have a stranglehold on big farm.

we shouldn't be calling naturally grown food 'organic'. It's 'normal'. Everything else should get stuck with a name.

Even the label 'organic' has been co-opted by big business thanks to the US gov't. I know many small farmers in my area that have always been organic... but can't afford the massive fees it can take to now 'prove' you're organic. Those fees and other obstacles were put in place by lobbyists working for Monsanto and other mega-corps.

THIS. Thank you! I couldn't have said it better.

this times a million!

So, you all think anyone should be able to label their produce as organic, with no checks to see if it's true? Yeah, the honor system is always best in the food industry. :huh:
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Worth it to me. Can I afford it 100% of the time? no. So I belong to a CSA, grow some herbs/veggies, shop at farmer's markets and then buy the rest at the grocery store. Having the Dirty Dozen list helps to prioritize on which items I'll fork out the extra cash for organic.

To me, feeding myself and my family the highest quality food possible is a top priority. So is supporting local farms and farmers and keeping toxic chemicals out of the soil and water supply. I can't think of anything more important. Trade off, we don't have cable or new cars and I buy most of our clothes from thrift stores. I'm OK with that.
  • aquilabean
    aquilabean Posts: 5
    Options
    I find it interesting that so many folks are trusting the government agency (the same one they say is subject to the whims of megacorps like Monsanto) to label and regulate our "organic" food?

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELPRDC5068682

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2009-07-03/news/36836942_1_organic-label-organic-products-usda-organic

I don't like the idea of pesticides/chemicals in my food or GMO being the norm. But I also sure as hell don't trust the USDA to take on this task! And no...I'm not a wingnut...or maybe I am. :)
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Why do people act like organic farmers don't use pesticides? They absolutely do.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why do people act like organic farmers don't use pesticides? They absolutely do.

The obvious answer seems the type of pesticides.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Here's a, partial, list of substances allowed by the USDA to be used on food and still be labeled "Organic", which includes pesticides:

(a) As algicide, disinfectants, and sanitizer, including irrigation system cleaning systems.

(1) Alcohols.

(i) Ethanol.

(ii) Isopropanol.

(2) Chlorine materials—For pre-harvest use, residual chlorine levels in the water in direct crop contact or as water from cleaning irrigation systems applied to soil must not exceed the maximum residual disinfectant limit under the Safe Drinking Water Act, except that chlorine products may be used in edible sprout production according to EPA label directions.

(i) Calcium hypochlorite.

(ii) Chlorine dioxide.

(iii) Sodium hypochlorite.

(3) Copper sulfate—for use as an algicide in aquatic rice systems, is limited to one application per field during any 24-month period. Application rates are limited to those which do not increase baseline soil test values for copper over a timeframe agreed upon by the producer and accredited certifying agent.

(4) Hydrogen peroxide.

(5) Ozone gas—for use as an irrigation system cleaner only.

(6) Peracetic acid—for use in disinfecting equipment, seed, and asexually propagated planting material.

(7) Soap-based algicide/demossers.

(8) Sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate (CAS #-15630-89-4)—Federal law restricts the use of this substance in food crop production to approved food uses identified on the product label.

(b) As herbicides, weed barriers, as applicable.

(1) Herbicides, soap-based—for use in farmstead maintenance (roadways, ditches, right of ways, building perimeters) and ornamental crops.

(2) Mulches.

(i) Newspaper or other recycled paper, without glossy or colored inks.

(ii) Plastic mulch and covers (petroleum-based other than polyvinyl chloride (PVC)).

(c) As compost feedstocks—Newspapers or other recycled paper, without glossy or colored inks.

(d) As animal repellents—Soaps, ammonium—for use as a large animal repellant only, no contact with soil or edible portion of crop.

(e) As insecticides (including acaricides or mite control).

(1) Ammonium carbonate—for use as bait in insect traps only, no direct contact with crop or soil.

(2) Aqueous potassium silicate (CAS #-1312-76-1)—the silica, used in the manufacture of potassium silicate, must be sourced from naturally occurring sand.

(3) Boric acid—structural pest control, no direct contact with organic food or crops.

(4) Copper sulfate—for use as tadpole shrimp control in aquatic rice production, is limited to one application per field during any 24-month period. Application rates are limited to levels which do not increase baseline soil test values for copper over a timeframe agreed upon by the producer and accredited certifying agent.

(5) Elemental sulfur.

(6) Lime sulfur—including calcium polysulfide.

(7) Oils, horticultural—narrow range oils as dormant, suffocating, and summer oils.

(8) Soaps, insecticidal.

(9) Sticky traps/barriers.

(10) Sucrose octanoate esters (CAS #s—42922-74-7; 58064-47-4)—in accordance with approved labeling.

(f) As insect management. Pheromones.

(g) As rodenticides. Vitamin D3 .

(h) As slug or snail bait. Ferric phosphate (CAS # 10045-86-0).

(i) As plant disease control.

(1) Aqueous potassium silicate (CAS #-1312-76-1)—the silica, used in the manufacture of potassium silicate, must be sourced from naturally occurring sand.

(2) Coppers, fixed—copper hydroxide, copper oxide, copper oxychloride, includes products exempted from EPA tolerance, Provided, That, copper-based materials must be used in a manner that minimizes accumulation in the soil and shall not be used as herbicides.

(3) Copper sulfate—Substance must be used in a manner that minimizes accumulation of copper in the soil.

(4) Hydrated lime.

(5) Hydrogen peroxide.

(6) Lime sulfur.

(7) Oils, horticultural, narrow range oils as dormant, suffocating, and summer oils.

(8) Peracetic acid—for use to control fire blight bacteria.

(9) Potassium bicarbonate.

(10) Elemental sulfur.

(11) Streptomycin, for fire blight control in apples and pears only until October 21, 2014.

(12) Tetracycline, for fire blight control in apples and pears only until October 21, 2014.

(j) As plant or soil amendments.

(1) Aquatic plant extracts (other than hydrolyzed)—Extraction process is limited to the use of potassium hydroxide or sodium hydroxide; solvent amount used is limited to that amount necessary for extraction.

(2) Elemental sulfur.

(3) Humic acids—naturally occurring deposits, water and alkali extracts only.

(4) Lignin sulfonate—chelating agent, dust suppressant.

(5) Magnesium sulfate—allowed with a documented soil deficiency.

(6) Micronutrients—not to be used as a defoliant, herbicide, or desiccant. Those made from nitrates or chlorides are not allowed. Soil deficiency must be documented by testing.

(i) Soluble boron products.

(ii) Sulfates, carbonates, oxides, or silicates of zinc, copper, iron, manganese, molybdenum, selenium, and cobalt.

(7) Liquid fish products—can be pH adjusted with sulfuric, citric or phosphoric acid. The amount of acid used shall not exceed the minimum needed to lower the pH to 3.5.

(8) Vitamins, B1 , C, and E.

(9) Sulfurous acid (CAS # 7782-99-2) for on-farm generation of substance utilizing 99% purity elemental sulfur per paragraph (j)(2) of this section.

(k) As plant growth regulators. Ethylene gas—for regulation of pineapple flowering.

(l) As floating agents in postharvest handling.

(1) Lignin sulfonate.

(2) Sodium silicate—for tree fruit and fiber processing.

(m) As synthetic inert ingredients as classified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), for use with nonsynthetic substances or synthetic substances listed in this section and used as an active pesticide ingredient in accordance with any limitations on the use of such substances.

(1) EPA List 4—Inerts of Minimal Concern.

(2) EPA List 3—Inerts of unknown toxicity—for use only in passive pheromone dispensers.

(n) Seed preparations. Hydrogen chloride (CAS # 7647-01-0)—for delinting cotton seed for planting.

(o) As production aids. Microcrystalline cheesewax (CAS #'s 64742-42-3, 8009-03-08, and 8002-74-2)-for use in log grown mushroom production. Must be made without either ethylene-propylene co-polymer or synthetic colors.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=08ed863d93110c01cb0728f8070a052f&rgn=div8&view=text&node=7:3.1.1.9.32.7.354.2&idno=7
  • magerum
    Options
    § 205.603 Synthetic substances allowed for use in organic livestock production.
    In accordance with restrictions specified in this section the following synthetic substances may be used in organic livestock production:

(a) As disinfectants, sanitizer, and medical treatments as applicable.

(1) Alcohols.

(i) Ethanol-disinfectant and sanitizer only, prohibited as a feed additive.

(ii) Isopropanol-disinfectant only.

(2) Aspirin-approved for health care use to reduce inflammation.

(3) Atropine (CAS #-51-55-8)—federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the lawful written or oral order of a licensed veterinarian, in full compliance with the AMDUCA and 21 CFR part 530 of the Food and Drug Administration regulations. Also, for use under 7 CFR part 205, the NOP requires:

(i) Use by or on the lawful written order of a licensed veterinarian; and

(ii) A meat withdrawal period of at least 56 days after administering to livestock intended for slaughter; and a milk discard period of at least 12 days after administering to dairy animals.

(4) Biologics—Vaccines.

(5) Butorphanol (CAS #-42408-82-2)—federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the lawful written or oral order of a licensed veterinarian, in full compliance with the AMDUCA and 21 CFR part 530 of the Food and Drug Administration regulations. Also, for use under 7 CFR part 205, the NOP requires:

(i) Use by or on the lawful written order of a licensed veterinarian; and

(ii) A meat withdrawal period of at least 42 days after administering to livestock intended for slaughter; and a milk discard period of at least 8 days after administering to dairy animals.

(6) Chlorhexidine—Allowed for surgical procedures conducted by a veterinarian. Allowed for use as a teat dip when alternative germicidal agents and/or physical barriers have lost their effectiveness.

(7) Chlorine materials—disinfecting and sanitizing facilities and equipment. Residual chlorine levels in the water shall not exceed the maximum residual disinfectant limit under the Safe Drinking Water Act.

(i) Calcium hypochlorite.

(ii) Chlorine dioxide.

(iii) Sodium hypochlorite.

(8) Electrolytes—without antibiotics.

(9) Flunixin (CAS #-38677-85-9)—in accordance with approved labeling; except that for use under 7 CFR part 205, the NOP requires a withdrawal period of at least two-times that required by the FDA.

(10) Furosemide (CAS #-54-31-9)—in accordance with approved labeling; except that for use under 7 CFR part 205, the NOP requires a withdrawal period of at least two-times that required that required by the FDA.

(11) Glucose.

(12) Glycerine—Allowed as a livestock teat dip, must be produced through the hydrolysis of fats or oils.

(13) Hydrogen peroxide.

(14) Iodine.

(15) Magnesium hydroxide (CAS #-1309-42-8)—federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the lawful written or oral order of a licensed veterinarian, in full compliance with the AMDUCA and 21 CFR part 530 of the Food and Drug Administration regulations. Also, for use under 7 CFR part 205, the NOP requires use by or on the lawful written order of a licensed veterinarian.

(16) Magnesium sulfate.

(17) Oxytocin—use in postparturition therapeutic applications.

(18) Parasiticides—Prohibited in slaughter stock, allowed in emergency treatment for dairy and breeder stock when organic system plan-approved preventive management does not prevent infestation. Milk or milk products from a treated animal cannot be labeled as provided for in subpart D of this part for 90 days following treatment. In breeder stock, treatment cannot occur during the last third of gestation if the progeny will be sold as organic and must not be used during the lactation period for breeding stock.

(i) Fenbendazole (CAS # 43210-67-9)—only for use by or on the lawful written order of a licensed veterinarian.

(ii) Ivermectin (CAS # 70288-86-7).

(iii) Moxidectin (CAS # 113507-06-5)—for control of internal parasites only.

(19) Peroxyacetic/peracetic acid (CAS #-79-21-0)—for sanitizing facility and processing equipment.

(20) Phosphoric acid—allowed as an equipment cleaner, Provided , That, no direct contact with organically managed livestock or land occurs.

(21) Poloxalene (CAS #-9003-11-6)—for use under 7 CFR part 205, the NOP requires that poloxalene only be used for the emergency treatment of bloat.

(22) Tolazoline (CAS #-59-98-3)—federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the lawful written or oral order of a licensed veterinarian, in full compliance with the AMDUCA and 21 CFR part 530 of the Food and Drug Administration regulations. Also, for use under 7 CFR part 205, the NOP requires:

(i) Use by or on the lawful written order of a licensed veterinarian;

(ii) Use only to reverse the effects of sedation and analgesia caused by Xylazine; and

(iii) A meat withdrawal period of at least 8 days after administering to livestock intended for slaughter; and a milk discard period of at least 4 days after administering to dairy animals.

(23) Xylazine (CAS #-7361-61-7)—federal law restricts this drug to use by or on the lawful written or oral order of a licensed veterinarian, in full compliance with the AMDUCA and 21 CFR part 530 of the Food and Drug Administration regulations. Also, for use under 7 CFR part 205, the NOP requires:

(i) Use by or on the lawful written order of a licensed veterinarian;

(ii) The existence of an emergency; and

(iii) A meat withdrawal period of at least 8 days after administering to livestock intended for slaughter; and a milk discard period of at least 4 days after administering to dairy animals.

(b) As topical treatment, external parasiticide or local anesthetic as applicable.

(1) Copper sulfate.

(2) Formic acid (CAS # 64-18-6)—for use as a pesticide solely within honeybee hives.

(3) Iodine.

(4) Lidocaine—as a local anesthetic. Use requires a withdrawal period of 90 days after administering to livestock intended for slaughter and 7 days after administering to dairy animals.

(5) Lime, hydrated—as an external pest control, not permitted to cauterize physical alterations or deodorize animal wastes.

(6) Mineral oil—for topical use and as a lubricant.

(7) Procaine—as a local anesthetic, use requires a withdrawal period of 90 days after administering to livestock intended for slaughter and 7 days after administering to dairy animals.

(8) Sucrose octanoate esters (CAS #s-42922-74-7; 58064-47-4)—in accordance with approved labeling.

(c) As feed supplements—None.

(d) As feed additives.

(1) DL-Methionine, DL-Methionine-hydroxy analog, and DL-Methionine-hydroxy analog calcium (CAS #'s 59-51-8, 583-91-5, 4857-44-7, and 922-50-9)—for use only in organic poultry production at the following maximum levels of synthetic methionine per ton of feed: Laying and broiler chickens—2 pounds; turkeys and all other poultry—3 pounds.

(2) Trace minerals, used for enrichment or fortification when FDA approved.

(3) Vitamins, used for enrichment or fortification when FDA approved.

(e) As synthetic inert ingredients as classified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), for use with nonsynthetic substances or synthetic substances listed in this section and used as an active pesticide ingredient in accordance with any limitations on the use of such substances.

(1) EPA List 4—Inerts of Minimal Concern.

(2) [Reserved]

(f) Excipients, only for use in the manufacture of drugs used to treat organic livestock when the excipient is: Identified by the FDA as Generally Recognized As Safe; Approved by the FDA as a food additive; or Included in the FDA review and approval of a New Animal Drug Application or New Drug Application.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    So the take-home message here is to wear a respirator and safety suit when cleaning out industrial pesticide tanks.

Got it.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    are you going to pay for my groceries? i buy organic when i can, but sometimes it just too expensive.

Check your local farmer's markets, also, see what you can grow at home. Sometimes just a few little things help in the big picture. The one good thing is that organic foods are starting to really come down in price. A lot of times fruits and veggies are less than 50 cents more per kg/lb

Be careful in assuming that the produce at the local farmers market is better than the grocery store. I know that many of the vendors at ours are getting their products from the very same farms in the US and Mexico that the big box stores do. When buying from the farmers market, make sure to ask where their farm is and if it is possible for you to drive by and see it. If they can't answer - walk away and find someone who can.

This is extremely sad, and just down right wrong. The farmer's markets in my area are made up of a bunch of local farmers in the area, and every one I have asked who I have bought produce from have stated they don't use chemicals and pesticides but can't afford to be certified organic. For me I would take that over the grocery store crap any day. When you don't have the choice the grocery store has to do lol

The reason a lot of people argue that organic local grown produce has more nutrients is because it does. Fruits and veggies start losing their nutrients once they are picked, so when they are coming from other countries, there is a lot of transportation time before they get to your store, and a lot of them are sprayed with things to either ripen them or change the color so they are more appealing. I know at the farmer's markets here, things are picked the day before or that day before the market. It will have more nutrients because they are just being picked.

The other thing I have heard is the soil. Conventional farming mass produces and over turns the soil so much and replants the same plants over and over that it is losing a lot of the vitamins and minerals in the soil, which would mean a more deficient plant.

I don't know this to be fact, but from researching this is what I have found because this question does come up a lot and people say there isn't a difference, but when you think about it, it sounds about right.
  • magerum
    Options
    So the take-home message here is to wear a respirator and safety suit when cleaning out industrial pesticide tanks.

Got it.

tumblr_m8npaphGA61r6x684o1_500.gif
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    every one I have asked who I have bought produce from have stated they don't use chemicals and pesticides but can't afford to be certified organic.

This is a total lie. Either they lied to you or you lied to us. I assume it's the latter, since no one goes to all the vendors at a farmer's market asking "are you using chemicals" and gets told "no but I can't afford to go organic" by "all of them."

Organic doesn't mean "chemical free." Organic farms use pesticides and fertilizers and hosts of other chemicals.
  • magerum
    Options
    every one I have asked who I have bought produce from have stated they don't use chemicals and pesticides but can't afford to be certified organic.

This is a total lie. Either they lied to you or you lied to us. I assume it's the latter, since no one goes to all the vendors at a farmer's market asking "are you using chemicals" and gets told "no but I can't afford to go organic" by "all of them."

Organic doesn't mean "chemical free." Organic farms use pesticides and fertilizers and hosts of other chemicals.

Very true as I posted above.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Genuine question: wouldn't the organic crops be "contaminated" with pesticides as well, because it is in all the water, air and soil already?
    Another question: Why do we continue to need antibotics or painkillers, because aren't they all in the water and soil already (pharmaceutical contamination)?

I think the previous posters have it right -- do the best you can, make the best choices you can. Criticism of industrial farming doesn't mean criticism of those who buy the food. Our reliance on factory farming for cheap food doesn't mean that we shouldn't pressure the companies to make the food safer/less negative environmental impact - our reliance doesn't mean we have to be/are supportive of the industry's practices. Consumers are not complicit in the bad practices - as consumers they are the victims and industrial farms should be doing better. It is doubtful that industrial farming is the only industry that has had no advances at all (via technology or new discoveries or better science) that would help them make a safer/healthier product (yet advances to increase production/weed killing/increase in size have all been made - even when those advances use dubious chemicals).
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    This is so sad. It makes me upset to think of how Monsanto and other companies like this are simply being allowed to RAPE our world virtually unchecked...I buy almost 100% organic and while it is pricey there are ways to save here and there. Many organic companies have coupons and my local natural market has great specials and gives you $25 to spend for every $500 you have spent. At Whole Foods you can buy store brands that are cheaper, even my local market has thier own brand for supplements and stuff. I also do without lots of other stuff like the latest tablet/cell phone and I'll drive my car into the ground before I buy a new one. I totally understand that sometimes eating all organic isn't attainable but do the best you can and you'll be surprised where you can find the extra money for groceries with a shift in priorities.
  • chadgard
    chadgard Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Buy organic from local farmers or grow your own. I grow my own now instead of buying organic, and it's just that much more beneficial to me and my family because I KNOW how it was grown and what was used for fertilizer (my own compost), and I KNOW for sure no pesticides were used, not even the tobacco spray that is sometimes used on organic crops.

For what it's worth, nicotine is just as toxic to bees and other polinators as neonicitinoid pesticides like clothianadin. Using tobacco tea sprays is also prohibited illegal in many places. Also, tobacco (at least the nicotine sulfate "tobacco dust") is on the prohibited materials list for organic farmers.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELPRDC5068682

So, if someone is using a tobacco spray, their crops may not be organic, and their use of the tobacco spray may be illegal.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Yes, and you've just nailed the real problem with the marketing term "organic".