over 40, slow metabolism...and the list goes on

Options
Just looking for support friends that aren't in it to be the next top model and understand being over 40 going on 50 and wanting to get healthier. It's tough when the metabolism is slowing down and the normal aches and pains of age aren't helping the cause.

Replies

• tkkd
    tkkd Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi there,

Slowing down sometimes I think mine have come to a screeching halt. I am 44 and just looking to be healthy again, so I will happily share this journey with you. No next top model here.
  • carol49ohio
    carol49ohio Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started about 2 weeks ago and Omg ~ I will be 50 next week and how the time gets by so I am on the same page as you ~ :flowerforyou:
  • WoodNymph64
    WoodNymph64 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you......age, and I quit smoking a couple of years ago and pack on a bunch.....plus I work 2 jobs so am stressed out all of the time......stress eater.......
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    44 Here. Feel free to add me!
  • jzebracki
    jzebracki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Just turned 52 and I can relate! It is amazing how our bodies change - first over 40, and now over 50 for me! Definitely more challenging! Feel free to add me if you would like! Good luck and never give up!
  • Sajecha
    Sajecha Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi there You are not alone! Im 42 quit smoking 2.5 yrs ago,and Id swear my metabolism has started going backwards! Never had a problem losing weight til I turned 40. Keep going we will get there eventually!
  • freshasadaisy72
    freshasadaisy72 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    41 and yes, the aches and pains of aging make it a challenge to get out and "DO" something. 70 pounds need to come off this bod and that still won't make me any beauty pageant contestant. Good luck. add me if you like.:happy:
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I'm 46, been at this going on 18 months, dealt with the slow metabolism too, not to mention pre-menopausal symptoms, but with patience (which I tend to have very little of) and reworking my nutrition and workout plan, the weight is slowly came off. Also lift weights, helps get your metabolism roaring. Oh and did I mention arthritis in both knees?
  • overs5
    overs5 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    same here..metabolism out the window! 55 and starting to feel it..need to increase my none existent exersise routine..but i always have an excuse..work..weather etc ..need someone to kick me up the bum!..and get me motivated :ohwell:
  • myrealname
    myrealname Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I turned 47 last month and I totally relate. Please, feel free to add me.
  • hap2010
    hap2010 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    44 here, post menopausal (surgical). I have dealt with weight gain from HRT. Now I am off of them and getting into the best shape of my life, looking forward to being a healthy hot looking 40 something:happy: Any one interested in being friends, I log everyday and I try to be very supportive.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Just looking for support friends that aren't in it to be the next top model and understand being over 40 going on 50 and wanting to get healthier. It's tough when the metabolism is slowing down and the normal aches and pains of age aren't helping the cause.

Hi I'm 54 :smile: It's certainly a lot harder than it used to be when we were younger. But it's do-able!!! Feel free to friend me!!!
  • Katt370
    Katt370 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm 43 and (post-surgical) menopausal, also dealing with the HRT. I just started exercising regularly again a week and a half ago and I'm pretty excited about getting my health back under my control. :)

I'm a fairly positive and compassionate person. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • pfrid
    pfrid Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I'm 44 and am having a hard time accepting that my body doesn't respond the same way as it used to. I lost 69 lbs on WW, then got off track for a while, and gained 35 of it back. So now I'm trying this instead. Having good success, as long as I'm true to what I track. I find, though, that I am easily tempted off track, and once I let myself go for the day, it's all bad.....
    So....trying again (and again, if necessary) to get back where I want to be. No super model here. Just looking for a nice healthy weight. I got down to 123 and my husband said it was too much....that I looked a little bony. So my new goal is 130 - 135 for me to be happy.
    Feel free to add me. I'm new to really using this site, and would love the support and encouragement.
  • lilunsure
    lilunsure Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and totally know where you are coming from. I'm always looking for friends to provide mutual support and motivation. Anyone feel free to add me.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and have been on a mission to ensure that my metabolism doesn't slow! it's not because we are getting older than our metabolisms are slowing, just that we are losing muscle. Muscle burns fat! So my primary fitness goal in my 40s is to add muscle so that I can eat 2000 cals per day and not gain!

Feel free to FR me! :)
  • NirvaniTeasley
    NirvaniTeasley Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and sooooo understand the slow metabolism. I have been at this for over a month now with aches and pains that would stop a healthy man in his tracks, but my fortitude is what has kept me on track. I am determined to spend my latter years in the best possible health. My greatest nemesis is fibromyalgia, I am fighting it with everything I have. For me this journey is not about weight loss, it is about transforming my life from the inside out.

Anyone can add me. I am very supportive and a very committed and regular MFPer.

Love&Light,
    Nirvani
  • jimithegreek
    Options
    Recently hit the big 40! Actually joined leading up to my 40th to get in shape. Feel free to add me.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I will be 62 in a few months. You are still young. I never looked better when I was in my 40's. Get going. In your 60's it is much harder as we lose muscle mass every year/ I have been here over 500 days. Go for it!
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options

Eat less and exercise more. t is a long process.