Is size 10 fat?

Options

Replies

• christied829
    Options
    It's really all relative. I'm currently wearing size 8 and my BMI is 27, which puts me in the Overweight category. Size 4 is perfect for me, but that's just me.

You really should be very proud of your accomplishment!
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    depends....for someone who is 5'8 probably not, for someone who is 5' i would say yes.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    The average size in the united states for a women right now is a size 14.

Well, that's the problem. We are so used to all the people being fat that we accept it as a norm.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    *also i find the forever 21 fits a little small, h+m feels more like my "true" size
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    It depends on how tall you are, I would think... I'm a size 12, I am 5'2" and on the cusp of overweight and obese... if I lost enough weight to fit into a size 10, I would still be overweight.
  • janisskoczylas
    janisskoczylas Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am not trying to start controversy here, but this mindset is what is wrong with our society. Size 0 is admired and leaves those of us women with an *kitten* and hips and who have given birth to think a size 10 isnt good enough? That's a shame. Considering dropping from an 18 to a 10 is huge accomplishment!! Ultimately if you want to be less than a 10 then go for it, just don't put that mindset that it's fat..it's healthy and the norm for the average woman in the US.

I have an *kitten*, hips, i've given birth to two kids ( no c-section) and I used to be a size 2-4 at 5'6" ( working towards that size again). Your argument is invalid.

I don't see where the argument is invalid. Human bodies are not cookie cutter. We aren't all shaped the same, made the same, etc. Good for you for have given birth to 2 kids and being a 2-4 (but I guess you aren't now? Couldn't follow your post really). That's not for everyone. When I got pregnant, my feet grew. My hands grew. My hips grew. My breasts grew. None of it has changed. I've lost weight, but my feet? still bigger. My hips? Still wider. I'm okay with it. So what if I'll never be a size 2 again. Maybe I'll be a size 6 and be healthy, and that's okay. We all have different goals, different sizes (however arbitrary those are) in mind for our "ideals." But consider yourself lucky if your body bounced back after pregnancy. You are the exception. Not the rule.
  • StephanieE3456
    StephanieE3456 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I wear a size 10 (sometimes an 8) and I am still, according the the BMI chart, in the OBESE catagory :)

Me too...for my height 5'3", I'm still overweight.
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you are talking about an English or US size 10 but either way you are deluded if you think that size 10 is fat!!! I have a feeling that maybe your mind hasn't caught up with your fantastic weight loss so you still think of yourself as overweight. Well, you are most certainly not. Just accept that you are now slim and enjoy it! I would much rather be a size 10 and find no clothes in the shops than be a size 16-18 and have a choice!!!
  • tdotgirl
    tdotgirl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I will be 49 yrs old in August. My goal is to wear a size 10-12. Right now I am wearing a size 14 and I have lost 28 lbs and look great but I want to look fabulous. There is no right or wrong size it's how you feel in your skin. Best of luck to you
  • halffull_pgh
    Options
    I am a 12 and though I do have a goal of getting to a 10, I realize that I am just a stockpile of hotness as is. :) Just enjoy who you are.
  • janisskoczylas
    janisskoczylas Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I wear a size 10 (sometimes an 8) and I am still, according the the BMI chart, in the OBESE catagory :)

Me too...for my height 5'3", I'm still overweight.

BMI is a flawed formula. Look at yourself in the mirror. People *know* when they are overweight. Can you run a mile? Are you healthy? I remember when we did body fat percentages in my health class, some of the skinniest girls in there had the highest percentages of fat. They were out of shape, couldn't run, couldn't do a push up. Skinny does not mean healthy. It doesn't mean fit. How do you feel? How do you look? Are you healthy? Be honest with yourself.

And I know that body fat percentages and bmi aren't exactly the same, but still.
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You will never be able to walk into any store and grab a size 10 and know that it fits. All stores size differently so a 10 in one store is different than a 10 in another store.

Exactly
  • SueFromRI
    SueFromRI Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I believe, the average American Woman is size 12.
    I went from a loose size 18 to a comfortably snug size 10. Categorically, I am overweight for another 9 pounds. Due to the width of my ribs and thigh bones I will probably never fit into a size 8 and I am fine with that.
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    A size 10 is awesome! Not fat at all.

Forever 21 has tiny clothes, and their sizes run way small. I don't even bother going in there. If go to stores geared more towards adults (not teens) like Macys, or TJ Maxx, you'll find a better fit. 10 and 12 are pretty popular sizes, so they will be the first ones to sell out.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    A size is not fat--any size. Fat is a body composition issue, not a size. I am a size 10 and have a body fat % of 25.6, so I still have some fat to lose. But you could be a size 16 and have a body fat % of 20% or less.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Depends on your height... If you are 5'10, I would say no... If you are 4'6 I'd say probably... It is all relative. For me, a size 32 is relatively slim but for a shorter man it may would be fat. It is all relative.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    A size is not fat--any size. Fat is a body composition issue, not a size. I am a size 10 and have a body fat % of 25.6, so I still have some fat to lose. But you could be a size 16 and have a body fat % of 20% or less.
    THIS!
  • Slimdownmb
    Slimdownmb Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    this is a ridiculous message board...
  • dpollet2
    dpollet2 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I want to be able to walk into any store and know that I can grab anything in that size and it will fit me

Yeeeaah, that's never going to happen. Sizes are not standardized. My daughter (size 3) can't even go to a store and buy things without trying it on first. She just bought 2 of the same pair of pants in different colors. One was a size 1 and one was a 5! If you held them up they were exactly the same size.

Size 10 is not fat. I know some people who are size 10, and they are not healthy or fit while others are in great shape.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I noticed the same about size 10s too - so hard to find! Coming from a size 28 myself, I never thought a size 10 was fat, but I had wondered the same thing because I am not as lean as I thought I would be at a size 10, which has always been my goal. I still have plenty of fat to lose, even at a large 10/small 12, but I will say this: you are obviously much MUCH better off as a size 10 than an 18 because you've lost inches, so congratulate yourself :)

Maybe your body composition is the same as mine, where you still feel squishy. If this is the case, try some strength training :)