Is size 10 fat?

Options

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    this is a ridiculous message board...

It is also ridiculously good for wasting time.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    size 10 is great and congrats on your loss! I am also a size 9/10 and have trouble finding pants that fit. A lot of women wear that size so it is difficult to find them...

btw, I had to buy a belt and am now on my way to a 7/8......:wink:
  • marcon125
    marcon125 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    OP, as you can see from all the responses, and you even stated it yourself, size is just a number. Marilyn Monroe, the quintessential sexy woman, was a size 10 - 12 during her career. If you are healthy, at a decent body fat percentage, the size simply doesn't matter.

But to answer the question personally, no, it is not. In fact back about 10 - 15 years ago when I ran marathons, I was a size 10.

Congratulations on you weight loss!
  • clairabellle
    clairabellle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Sizes in America are confusing for me :ohwell:

Size 0 : NZ size 6
    Size 2: NZ size 8
    Size 4: NZ size 10
    Size 6: NZ size 12
    Size 8: NZ size 14
    Size 10: NZ size 16.

I think you get the picture, very confusing. But to answer your question. If your happy then don't worry, if your questioning then re-evaluate .
    Cheers
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    OP, as you can see from all the responses, and you even stated it yourself, size is just a number. Marilyn Monroe, the quintessential sexy woman, was a size 10 - 12 during her career. If you are healthy, at a decent body fat percentage, the size simply doesn't matter.

But to answer the question personally, no, it is not. In fact back about 10 - 15 years ago when I ran marathons, I was a size 10.

Congratulations on you weight loss!

If you went back in time and grabbed Marilyn's size 10-12 pants, they would fit today's size 6-8 woman I do believe. Vanity sizing baby.
  • mycupyourcake
    mycupyourcake Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    A size is not fat--any size. Fat is a body composition issue, not a size. I am a size 10 and have a body fat % of 25.6, so I still have some fat to lose. But you could be a size 16 and have a body fat % of 20% or less.
    THIS!

Yes!
  • alison590
    alison590 Posts: 61
    Options
    re: people talking about Marilyn Monroe

According to measurements from Marilyn Monroe's dressmaker:
    Height: 5 feet, 5½ inches
    Weight: 118-140 pounds
    Bust: 35-37 inches
    Waist: 22-23 inches
    Hips: 35-36 inches
    Bra size: 36D

In other words, whatever her size, her figure was an unusually dramatic hour-glass, which makes it kind of strange for women to compare themselves to her anyway. When a collector displayed a bunch of her most famous costumes in London recently, "they had to get a special mold made for the corset and swimwear dummies in the exhibition because Monroe was such an extreme hourglass shape that no off-the-peg dummies existed in those measurements."

So, what size was she? Well, like most women, she wasn't one size everywhere. When British journalist Sara Buys had a chance to try on some of Marilyn's clothes earlier this year, she reported:

After all these years, mystery and conspiracy theories still surround her death, but when it comes to her physical attributes, I can put a few facts straight. Contrary to received wisdom, she was not a voluptuous size 16 – quite the opposite. While she was undeniably voluptuous – in possession of an ample bosom and a bottom that would look at home gyrating in a J-Lo video – for most of the early part of her career, she was a size 8 and even in her plumper stages, was no more than a 10. I can tell you this from experience because a few weeks ago, I tried to try on her clothes.
  • BreeFeelinFree
    Options
    Um I'm size 11 and very slender!
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I'm a size 10 and still consider myself overweight ( not fat though) because i'm 5' 1. For me a healthy size would be a six maybe even a four. it's all relative to your height and how much muscle you have.
  • lnxjenn
    lnxjenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    10 is definitely not fat! I miss that size! I was that size twice in my life, and I was accused of being too skinny by people who knew me! 10 is just a popular size in those shops, not a "fat" or unavailable size. Remember that not all size 10s are created equal either! what you wear in one brand a 10 might be a 12 in another brand, because it won't fit you right.

It really really doesnt' matter what the number says, 10 is DEFINITELY not fat. Please don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3, 150 pounds and wear a 10 -- I have a 28 inch waist. I don't consider myself "fat". I don't care what others think.
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I just dicovered I'm a size 8. That was the highlight of my adult life, by far, but despite that fact, I also know that I am still another fifteen or so pounds from my goal and my body fat percentage is still 29.9, so I know there is room for improvement for my personal frame and figure, but whether or not I have more to lose, I may never be able to fit in anything smaller than an 8. It's all body type composition that decides if you're still above your mark, below it, or right on it. :)
  • CristyMusicLovr
    CristyMusicLovr Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    No no no! I'm a 14 and I wish I was a 10 :ohwell: And it also depends on the height... if you are tall and a size ten well you must look skinny!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. I've seen people in a size 6 that have muffin top and squishy arms, I guess it depends what your definition of fat is? Just simply looking "large" or having rolls and being soft? That can happen at any size.....
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    You'll find a lot of times that you'll see 0-4 on racks and then 16+ on racks, because the ones that sell out the quickest are the midrange.

I'm a size 4 and I still have fat on my stomach. So for me PERSONALLY, yes, size 10 would be fat. Because even at a size 4 I have fat. Just wear what fits comfortably. Ignore the label.
  • sdpeklo
    sdpeklo Posts: 82
    Options
    this is a ridiculous message board...

It is also ridiculously good for wasting time.
    :laugh: ROFL....
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I was chunky at size 8, I think I'd be fat at size 10... But I'm 5'5" and when I gain fat it goes to my stomach rather than nicely distributing itself. My mom's 5'8" and rocks the hell out of a size 10. Clothing sizes are so arbitrary and variable. Just look at yourself in the mirror and decide if you like what you see.
  • agirltoremember98
    Options
    I wouldn't base it off of the size of your clothes, it's really all about body composition. Someone could wear a bigger size, such as a 12 for example and still look really slim. So, no a size 10 isn't fat.
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    For me, size 10 is something I didn't think I'd ever get back to, especially after being obese for a number of years. After getting diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes last year, I did enough to drop from 16 down to 10, and I have never been happier. Now, the thing to remember is size 10 in one company can differ from size 10 in another company, so try them on first. I remember when I used to be a 14...that was the hardest size to find! Nowadays, I actually have an easy time finding size 10. (I think my stomach's getting small enough to become a possible 8.)

Just remember this. It's better being in a comfortable size 10 than a tight size 10. It all depends on how you look at it.
  • sdpeklo
    sdpeklo Posts: 82
    Options
    I am a 12 and though I do have a goal of getting to a 10, I realize that I am just a stockpile of hotness as is. :) Just enjoy who you are.
    Love your reply and ticker....funny stuff!!!