So, whose fault is it?

Options

Replies

• DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    You are responsible for your own actions... whether that is to get behind the wheel drunk or to get into the passenger seat of a car with a drunk driver behind the wheel. PERIOD!

Haha well said!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Get mad at both of them.

Yes.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I've called people to pick me up and I've gone to pick others.

Hell I drove from Atlanta Georgia to some beach in North Carolina (6 hr drive one way) that one was rough.

I've been stabbed, ran over, and then wrongly arrested for stopping someone from leaving my house drunk.

I've gotten behind the wheel thinking I was fine just to realize I was trashed, pulled over threw the keys under the truck and went to sleep.

I've had a cousin who was hit by a drunk driver and the guy didn't even know he did it. His father turned him in two days later.

Drinking and driving doesn't mix, The woman in the scenario did nothing wrong, it's the two guys you can't control someone else's actions just your own.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    I've called people to pick me up and I've gone to pick others.

Hell I drove from Atlanta Georgia to some beach in North Carolina (6 hr drive one way) that one was rough.

I've been stabbed, ran over, and then wrongly arrested for stopping someone from leaving my house drunk.

I've gotten behind the wheel thinking I was fine just to realize I was trashed, pulled over threw the keys under the truck and went to sleep.

I've had a cousin who was hit by a drunk driver and the guy didn't even know he did it. His father turned him in two days later.

Drinking and driving doesn't mix, The woman in the scenario did nothing wrong, it's the two guys you can't control someone else's actions just your own.

I appreciate people like you. Just so you know.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    Bumping again now that some of you are home from work. I am shameless.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It's a good time to get people to think about this on the holiday weekend.
  • PrincessPoopiePants
    Options
    Debbies fault for sure.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Both at fault and I don't know if you have said, but I sure as hell hope they didn't hurt anyone else.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If I were Deb I'd blame Gary because he's my husband and should know better. He obviously has some sense, since he married me. But I'd give the other dude a good smack upside the head as well.
  • Chickyjd
    Chickyjd Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    They were both drunk and they both got into the car, equally responsible for their own actions! They had the offer of a ride at any time, and they both chose not to make the call.
  • shastacrystal
    shastacrystal Posts: 262
    Options
    Both of their fault:( So sad:(
  • lalaland82
    lalaland82 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Both equally to blame!! Worst of all sober I bet both of them would have said they would never have done that.
    When I was a barmaid we used to take the car keys off of a couple of regulars who we knew would drink drive before we would serve them (not always pretty at closing) but you can't do it for every customer esp if you don't know if they will be driving.
  • DalekBrittany
    Options
    No, I didn't mention but they did not hurt anyone else! Thank goodness too.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I agree about the bar thing. Funny enough the bar was called Felonies. They did not cut them off and I have a huge issue with that, but that's a whooole different story!

My BF has a pretty serious problem with alcohol, but he can be nearly passing out drunk and unless you KNOW him, you would never know. He acts stone cold sober, except I know him well enough to see subtle changes.

The bartender may not have even realized how drunk they were or that they were driving. But if he did, the bar is legally culpable if this was in the US. Even if he didn't know, the bar can be fined and sued by the families.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Sad Deb let them take a car, to go drinking
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Geez this is so sad. I am always the DD with my friends as I actually do not drink. It seems that there are more drunk related accidents in my area. It's very disturbing.:cry:
  • rml_16
    Options
    No, I didn't mention but they did not hurt anyone else! Thank goodness too.

That's a blessing.

On March 1, a high school classmate of mine and his wife and their three children got hit by a drunk driver (though this isn't official yet, the family has said the guy was drunk). My friend and his wife both died. This was at 5 in the afternoon on a weekday.

The guy who hit them had two previous DUI convictions from the same stretch of road and the month after he killed them, he got charged in our hometown (different state, but close to where they all lived) with a THIRD DUI, driving on a suspended license and cocaine possession from an arrest the November prior.

Don't ask me how or why, but they allowed this creep to walk out of the hospital and they can't find him now.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Each one is legally responsible for his own actions. They are also responsible for the consequences of their actions. The driver is is responsible for the death of the passenger in a DUI crash. That's the law in California. It doens't matter that the passenger was equally polluted and CHOSE to get into the passenger seat.

We had a local family whose son was killed in a DUI crash where the young man's long time friend was the driver. The family of the decedent pleaded with the court on behalf of the DRIVER for leniency, recognizing that their son was equally drunk and chose to get into the car knowing the driver had been drinking too much. The law is the law. You drink and drive and someone dies, you pay the price. But this family also recognized that their deceased son made a choice also.

Now who is more morally wrong in all of this, and who is the victim? There is no victim, other than the families of the two men, one who is dead and the other who is incarcerated and suffering from what I assume is a traumatic brain injury. Both men knew how drunk they were (I'd be curious to know what their BACs were), both men blew off the offer of a ride home, both men got into a car knowing the driver was too drunk to drive safely/legally. Who knows, they may have drawn straws as to who would drive and Gary drew the short straw and became the passenger who died. It could have easily gone the other direction. If you insist on seeing Gary as the "victim" in this, at least recognize he played a role in his own victimization. It's not like he was a small child in the car who had no choice but to do what the adult said and get into the car as a passenger of a drunk driver. It's not like he was the driver of a second vehicle the drunk driver plowed into and killed. He was an active participant in his victimization.

All that being said. My sympathy goes out to everyone involved, along with a reminder as we approach this holiday weekend that this could be YOU. Don't drink and drive.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Well...both are equally at fault. They are both adults and both made their own decisions.
  • MizAngie
    MizAngie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have lost 2 cousins (one from each parent-both named Laura) Laura (mom side) was out drinking, passed out at a friends house, woke up and drove home. VERY hung over...still impaired. Flipped her car and broke her neck.
    Laura (dad side) and her boyfriend were driving home late from work when a drunk driver ran a red light, T Boned their car, killing my cousin. Her boyfriend was in a coma for a couple of weeks.
    This was 20+ years ago.

This past July my cousin and his girlfriend were driving along the ditch on a quad (they were pulling a small trailer with lawn chairs, blankets and coolers) Young guy in powerful truck (on a straight road) went off the road and hit them. Killed the girlfriend, my cousin unable to walk. The RCMP tried to charge my cousin with being impaired. He hadn't had 1 ounce of anything. BUT he was pulling a trailer with coolers in it. (they broke on impact so the smell of alcohol was noticable) They had to drop the charges but they weren't happy about it and caused alot of grief for my cousin who was already so full of grief.