Is size 10 fat?

Options

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    UK 10 is ....very skinny. lol
    US 10...if you are tall you can carry it off very nicely but if you are petite...I would say it's a bit chubby.
  • laurenmanderson1
    laurenmanderson1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    For those who are a size 8 or smaller, a 10 is fat.
    For those who are bigger than a 10, no it isn't.

Those responses are stupid and not helpful, b/c really, there is no right or wrong answer

If you are happy where you are, then go be happy. If you aren't, then keep working. It's really that simple.

^^This!
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    For me (short), a size 10 means I am still obese according to BMI and fat according to the mirror. On a much taller friend, 10 corresponded with a healthy weight.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    For most people, a size 10 is perfectly healthy. At that size, you shouldn't have an increased risk for weight-related chronic disease.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    No. A size 10 is NOT fat. Clothing sizes have nothing to do with you being 'fat' or anything! There is no law that says a particular size must measure a certain number of inches. Example, at one time I was a small t-shirt size in Old Navy, and an XL at another store. It completely depends how they cut their clothes, and is completely dependent on stores.

Depending where you're from, you could be facing a shortage of sizes for 1) There are many people your size because it is an average size, so they buy up the clothing. 2) The store doesnt order a lot of that particular size and so it gets scooped up quickly.

No matter what - DO NOT LET THE SIZE DICTATE HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT YOURSELF! You've clearly transformed your body if you used to be a size 18. Be proud of yourself.

Well said!

I do not think that a size 10 is fat but the 0's might consider it hugeee..... I think what's really important is how YOU feel about that size. You know last time I was a size 11 I went to the store so proud I didn't have to shop in a plus size store to burst my bubble by the sales girl who told me : Well you're not as big as a whale so I think it should fit... Thanks girl! Really!
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I first thought "no" reading this in a British context, but seeing as it is American...
    So a lot of models are a 0, or at the very least a 2. A size 0 is not "ideal" to me, but I would say a 2 or a 4 is. Ultimately, from an aesthetic POV. I've been a 4 and am now more a 6, and I know there are quite a few kilos between those... So yeah, I consider a 10 to be quite big. Whether you would call it "fat" is down to personal opinion. But I don't consider it attractive, and I don't think a person at that size can be "hot".
    I am speaking as a 5"9 who's not naturally petite and can't just slip into a small size, in case you were wondering.
  • marygoodnight007
    Options
    No. But it's a frusterating size to be at because it's one of the most common sizes in America. I frequently shop second hand and hate it when I'm a size 10. I'd rather be the 12 or the 8 for the reasons you are suggesting. There is never anything in my size left!

Also it's all about purpotions. Even when I'm a dress size 6 I'm still in size 10 pants most of the times because I have wide hips. I love my hips though so it's okay.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    For me, yes, a size 10 would still mean I have a lot of fat on me. I am currently about a 5-7 depending on the brand and I still have a LOT of fat on me with no where NEAR a flat stomach.
  • DrCaspianDoll
    DrCaspianDoll Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You have answered your own question: "(tons of 8s and 12s)". Obviously size 10 is a common size and is NOT "fat" if there are tons of 12s.

Strong logic is strong. Have you checked obesity rates lately?

I agree. Personally for me above 4 is when I have too much fat on my body, because and when my 4's get snug that is when I get more stringent with my fitness routine. You are obviously on a right track to getting the fat down but being average does not mean fit.
  • higgi7
    higgi7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Size 10 is absolutely not fat! The average US woman is size 14... The stores you mentioned may just carry more "jr" sizes that go 5,7,9,11 and are geared towards teens and young 20's. The misses sizes go 6,8,10,12,14, etc. Maybe just shopping in the wrong stores (unless of course, you're a youngster). Anyway, a size 10 is perfect in my eyes!
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I am not trying to start controversy here, but this mindset is what is wrong with our society. Size 0 is admired and leaves those of us women with an *kitten* and hips and who have given birth to think a size 10 isnt good enough? That's a shame. Considering dropping from an 18 to a 10 is huge accomplishment!! Ultimately if you want to be less than a 10 then go for it, just don't put that mindset that it's fat..it's healthy and the norm for the average woman in the US.

:flowerforyou:

More of us women should think like this. I' ve pretty much never been happy with my body all my life, whether I was 120lbs or 270lbs... Its the society that shapes us to think whats fat or not... I really do encourage a positive body image whatever your size is, what's important again is how YOU feel.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I first thought "no" reading this in a British context, but seeing as it is American...
    So a lot of models are a 0, or at the very least a 2. A size 0 is not "ideal" to me, but I would say a 2 or a 4 is. Ultimately, from an aesthetic POV. I've been a 4 and am now more a 6, and I know there are quite a few kilos between those... So yeah, I consider a 10 to be quite big. Whether you would call it "fat" is down to personal opinion. But I don't consider it attractive, and I don't think a person at that size can be "hot".
    I am speaking as a 5"9 who's not naturally petite and can't just slip into a small size, in case you were wondering.

Apparently I'm not attractive. Good to know.
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have not read all the replies... I apologize if this has been covered.
    The number on the clothing tag is not a good indicator of thin or fat. The numbers mean different things on different sized people. I am 6' tall, if I were a size 10, I would be thin (high school thin). However, my 5' 1" daughter-in-law would be overweight in a 10.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Clothing sizes vary so much, even in identical styles. Especially at the discount places you are shopping due to the way the clothes are produced, they cut in runs of 100+ or more, making the item at the top of the cut much smaller and the items at the bottom much larger.

What I'm saying is a size can't be fat (or thin) at these places. I own a super cute hoody I picked up at Ross Dress For Less. I wear a 4 or a 6 usually, 135 and 5'7" with a 27 inch waist. I found this hoody in the plus size section, marked as a 2XL. It fits me perfectly.

If you want consistency in the sizes of your clothes you are going to have to shop at boutiques or high end retail stores. That doesn't mean that the clothes will be any better quality, but at least the sizes will be consistent and the act of shopping and trying on clothes is much easier.
  • dianeb613
    dianeb613 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    LOL you can't be serious. Hell no!
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My goal is to be in a size 12 at the end of my weight loss journey, if I manage to get into a 10, you'll all hear me singing with joy from the mountain tops....so, no, I don't think 10 is fat.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    As badly as I wanted to troll this thread, I can't.

Be happy with who you are and find your size. A size 10 is going to be bigger if you're shorter and smaller if you're taller. Don't ask strangers what size you should be.

*kicks rocks*
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI: designer companies have decided to "vanity size" their clothing to get more people to buy them. Who would buy a size 10 when that SAME size with a size 9 or 7 slapped on it would get more people to buy it? I also went and had my hips measured and according to the stupid size chart, I should be wearing a 14-16. TOTAL BS.

How does this even matter? Well, I think the size of clothing is irrelevant. Sure, I enjoy being back in my size 10s at 5'10", but I'm happy to be back in them because I'm 48 and haven't worn this size regularly since I was 18, so there's a feeling of accomplishment and 'screw you' fashion industry, I feel good to be back in this "size".

So, wear em proudly not because they're a size 10, but because they are WAY SMALLER than the size you wore when you started working hard. THAT is the lesson to be learned here.
  • Lovemydounts
    Lovemydounts Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Lol I too thought the same I always been an x-large size shirt and 18 jeans ,now I a size 12 & still want to get in to a size 7 lol I guess we're never happy
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    okay this whole thread is just bugging the crap out of me. you want to know why no one can answer this question? because whats too big for someone might be right on for someone else. it doesn't matter about height or any of that **** because we're all built different. for example i want to get down to 110lbs and i can garuntee you will never catch me wearing a size one, hell i'd be lucky if i ever get into a four because of my HIPS. so you're short, okay big deal, you could also be hippy, and as long as you're comfortable with how you look that's what matters, and if you arent' what matters is getting comfortable with who you are and making the changes to get healthy, not sexy or skinny, HEALTHY. all these people are tellng you what they think, but if you look in the mirror and YOU think you look good that's what matters. screw everyone else because they don't know you, they don't know your body and at teh end of the day it's your love for yourself that matters.