help! addicted to sugar

Options

Replies

• anyaeri
    anyaeri Posts: 4
    Options
    My mother has this problem - what's helped her is having it out of the house.

And quit eating it cold turkey - don't phase it out., just stop (I know, easier said than done).

Here is a link that shows if you are craving something, and what some healthy alternatives may be (sorry for the small font, that's just the way it shows up)

http://media-cache-ak1.pinimg.com/originals/dc/21/fb/dc21fb4bfdb3282bb957b86514dc2301.jpg

Thank you! I heard about cravings being related to the body lacking something entirely different, I will definitely try this. & I had a feeling the overwhelming response would be to just stop, lool. I've tried, I've been eating candy in place of meals since I was very young so the cravings are pretty terrible, but I'll keep trying :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Have you ever been helpful like ever or just like you faceless obviously fake pics to hide your own problems people are here to make a change they don't need things like this from people like you. Also that site you posted is completely isn't even relevant. lol Even if she did have any of these eating disorders they way you handle yourself is just about the least helpful productive way to present it. Learn some manners and get some tact.

Actually, he is helpful all the time. People just do not want to listen to what he says as they do not like the way he says it - it does not mean that the information he provides is any less valid.

Edited to take off quotes.
  • anyaeri
    anyaeri Posts: 4
    Options
    Anyone can see you're an intelligent person by the way you write. You're aware of this addiction you have and as cliched as it sounds, that really is the first step. I strongly recommend you get some help, whether it is seeing a doctor, psychologist, or even attending a meeting in your area like the previous poster suggested. The feelings of guilt and shame associated with addiction are tremendous and they make it hard to think straight, which is why some people have what is called a "moment of clarity." However you can choose at any time to take steps towards a brighter future. I think you've probably tried stopping cold turkey before and it didn't work. That doesn't mean anything about you, it just means that idea didn't work. Accept that you'll eat sugar today, tomorrow, and the next day. But over time, if you take positive steps you can reduce it until it was just a dim memory in your past. Take care :)

Thank you so much, and your very insightful. I'm a student and still live at home with my family so they have an idea of how reckless my sugar consumption has become. Although we've worked together to change what we keep in our cabinets, to stop buying sugar completely wouldn't be fair to the other three people in the house. Yes I have tried to stop on my own a million times, and yes my parents actually wanted me to speak to someone about it a couple years ago but I totally dismissed it because I thought that would be unnecessary and ridiculous. Now it doesn't seem as ridiculous, but I want to try and defeat this on my own first. So, i'm going to definitely start with your suggestion of meeting with a doctor :)
  • Tanana66
    Tanana66 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    And quit eating it cold turkey - don't phase it out., just stop (I know, easier said than done).

This. If you want to quit sugar, just quit. The first week or so will be hell, but it will get easier, and after a while you won't even miss it. Trust me. I used to be the biggest sugar junkie ever.

True story. Sugar causes insulin production to increase in the body in order to get your blood glucose levels back to where they need to be. This causes a perpetual desire for sugar because it gives the feeling of a "crash". Quit cold turkey is the best advice I have seen. It helps your body to basically reset your blood sugar and insulin levels back to normal. And yes, it will be hard at first. Like any addiction and yes, you can call it an addiction because that is literally what it is, it has positive and negative "coming down" symptoms. In the beginning it feels like a lot more negative. Constant cravings, lethargy, ,possible headaches, light headed and more. In the long run though, it will be so much better for you. You will feel more energetic without it after a few weeks, your body will learn to function without it, allowing you to focus better on the rest of your weight loss and fitness goals.

I cut out soda cold turkey this last Easter Sunday. It was hard. I was miserable for the first week. And by the end of week three I noticed a huge increase in my energy. I was getting up an hour earlier every day than my alarm whereas before I was hitting the snooze button 2-3 times. I went from drinking 60+ oz of soda a day to none. It was a little bit of sugar and caffeine addiction I am sure but I have never felt better in my life than I do now without it. It jump started my weight loss journey too and allowed me more energy so that I could start working out which in itself gave me more energy! It becomes a very good cycle when you break your addictions.

Before making any drastic changes with your diet though, be sure to check with a doctor or dietician. If you by chance happen to be diabetic without knowing it, any advice followed by someone who is not a doctor or dietician could spin you into something bad. But if your doctor says it is ok to quit cold turkey, go for it! I was pre-diabetic and had to really focus on what that was going to do to my future and the future of my family in order to quit.

^^^^^
    This! I was addicted and I kicked it. Every now and then it comes back but I fight it with protein and more protein and I avoid sugary carbs including fruit until I am in control again. It is the only way for me to avoid the cravings. It is not too hard, the peace of mind and a huge relief once you sugar levels go back to normal are great.
    You can do it! Don't worry about the calories until you are sugar free. Keeping busy does help too.
    Good luck!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

By fearmongering?

Fear mongering (or scaremongering or scare tactics) is the use of fear to influence the opinions and actions of others towards some specific end. The feared object or subject is sometimes exaggerated, and the pattern of fear mongering is usually one of repetition, in order to continuously reinforce the intended effects of this tactic, sometimes in the form of a vicious circle.
    tumblr_lrq5kmwVOp1qfff9p.gif

There is no specific end other than sharing knowledge
    There is no fear of the subject, so that isn't exaggerated.
    No repetition, an article was posted and left at that.

How is explaining how something works and validating someone's experience threaten or frighten you so that you need to insult and lash out so viciously?
    Someone else having a (posible) addiction to sugar doesn't impact you.
    The fact that there is a chemical process that causes addiction doesn't impact you.
    The fact that things are addictive doesn't impact you.
    If something is observed in mice it doesn't impact you.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I believe i'm seriously addicted, and that if not for this addiction I wouldn't be as overweight as I am. Any suggestions on how I can start phasing out the amount of candy & sugar I eat? Maybe some healthy alternatives that can satisfy my cravings :sick:

Maybe the first step should be, stop trying to blame "sugar addiction" if there is even such a thing and take responsibility for your weight issues

Once again you should really stay of these conversations because you really DON'T know what you're talking about......get a grip! :explode:

Says the person who posts animal studies as "proof" of something's existence in humans

I posted proof but you refused to believe it.....that's your problem not mine and I agree why do you come into these conversations? It's surely not to help with your OPINION......as I said before, it is just that, your opinion. All you want to do is try to shame someone, when in fact it is you and people like you that can't get their heads out of the sand that should be ashamed....You offer no evidence that sugar isn't addictive just your attitude, which sucks by the way.....get a life and stay out of something that you obviously know very LITTLE about.

Lol and I asked if all animal studies are directly applicable to humans every single instance. You presented a possibility of sugar addiction in rats and mice, which if you want to consider proof, well your idea of proof and mine are totally different. I guess there is no need for drug testing on humans, if it works on rats/mice, just send it right into production

Some people try to help. Some people just like to cause problems... And spend a lot of their time doing so.
    I've found that when people have a problem with how other people are living their life, it is a reflection on them more than the person they are trying to put down.

Yes, telling someone to take responsibility for their issues is def putting someone down, my bad
    Have you ever been helpful like ever or just like you faceless obviously fake pics to hide your own problems people are here to make a change they don't need things like this from people like you. Also that site you posted is completely isn't even relevant. lol Even if she did have any of these eating disorders they way you handle yourself is just about the least helpful productive way to present it. Learn some manners and get some tact.

Yup, it's all photoshop. Also I posted a link to the updated changes to the DSM, since it does deal with gambling addiction, drug abuse, alcoholism etc, the closest thing to "sugar addiction" was eating disorder in the DSM as it was nowhere else to be found. But you're right not relevant at all. What do your personal attacks say about you? hmmm
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I believe i'm seriously addicted, and that if not for this addiction I wouldn't be as overweight as I am. Any suggestions on how I can start phasing out the amount of candy & sugar I eat? Maybe some healthy alternatives that can satisfy my cravings :sick:

Maybe the first step should be, stop trying to blame "sugar addiction" if there is even such a thing and take responsibility for your weight issues

Once again you should really stay of these conversations because you really DON'T know what you're talking about......get a grip! :explode:

Says the person who posts animal studies as "proof" of something's existence in humans

I posted proof but you refused to believe it.....that's your problem not mine and I agree why do you come into these conversations? It's surely not to help with your OPINION......as I said before, it is just that, your opinion. All you want to do is try to shame someone, when in fact it is you and people like you that can't get their heads out of the sand that should be ashamed....You offer no evidence that sugar isn't addictive just your attitude, which sucks by the way.....get a life and stay out of something that you obviously know very LITTLE about.

Lol and I asked if all animal studies are directly applicable to humans every single instance. You presented a possibility of sugar addiction in rats and mice, which if you want to consider proof, well your idea of proof and mine are totally different. I guess there is no need for drug testing on humans, if it works on rats/mice, just send it right into production

Some people try to help. Some people just like to cause problems... And spend a lot of their time doing so.
    I've found that when people have a problem with how other people are living their life, it is a reflection on them more than the person they are trying to put down.

Yes, telling someone to take responsibility for their issues is def putting someone down, my bad

Yup, it's all photoshop. Also I posted a link to the updated changes to the DSM, since it does deal with gambling addiction, drug abuse, alcoholism etc, the closest thing to "sugar addiction" was eating disorder in the DSM as it was nowhere else to be found. But you're right not relevant at all. What do your personal attacks say about you? hmmm

This will be the last time I waste my time on your opinions based on pure ignorance. As I have stated before, there have been studies done on HUMANS via brain scans......brain scans don't lie. Did you forget to read that or are you just arguing again for the sake of arguing? I believe the latter. Once again, NOTHING you or anyone else can say will ever make me believe you know what you're talking about. I live this addiction, do you? Obviously not or you would cease to argue over it........now go play, I believe I hear your mommy calling you little man.

These are the 4 links you provided as "proof"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/sugar-addiction_b_819113.html

lol hyman

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/
    This review summarizes evidence of sugar dependence in an animal model.
    What this review demonstrates is that rats with intermittent access to food and a sugar solution can show both a constellation of behaviors and parallel brain changes that are characteristic of rats that voluntarily self-administer addictive drugs.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/132530.php
    A Princeton University scientist presented new evidence demonstrating that sugar can be an addictive substance, wielding its power over the brains of lab animals in a manner similar to many drugs of abuse.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/researcher-sugar-addictive-cocaine-obesity-diabetes-cancer-heart-disease-article-1.1054419

lolstig
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Just to point out, you're taking different people's responses and putting them together like they came from the same person. It makes much less sense that way, and your argument loses some of its validity.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    Anyone can see you're an intelligent person by the way you write. You're aware of this addiction you have and as cliched as it sounds, that really is the first step. I strongly recommend you get some help, whether it is seeing a doctor, psychologist, or even attending a meeting in your area like the previous poster suggested. The feelings of guilt and shame associated with addiction are tremendous and they make it hard to think straight, which is why some people have what is called a "moment of clarity." However you can choose at any time to take steps towards a brighter future. I think you've probably tried stopping cold turkey before and it didn't work. That doesn't mean anything about you, it just means that idea didn't work. Accept that you'll eat sugar today, tomorrow, and the next day. But over time, if you take positive steps you can reduce it until it was just a dim memory in your past. Take care :)

Thank you so much, and your very insightful. I'm a student and still live at home with my family so they have an idea of how reckless my sugar consumption has become. Although we've worked together to change what we keep in our cabinets, to stop buying sugar completely wouldn't be fair to the other three people in the house. Yes I have tried to stop on my own a million times, and yes my parents actually wanted me to speak to someone about it a couple years ago but I totally dismissed it because I thought that would be unnecessary and ridiculous. Now it doesn't seem as ridiculous, but I want to try and defeat this on my own first. So, i'm going to definitely start with your suggestion of meeting with a doctor :)

Regardless of some of the opinions given on this subject, sugar addiction is real and has been proven as such and it should be treated like any other addiction. Seek the help of someone that understand addiction and is able to treat it. Good luck.
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    I am also addicted to sugar, which happens to be my crack. :laugh:

I've found that I just don't it on a regular basis. I'll have an ice cream sandwich or something else occasionally but I totally can't trust myself with candy. :noway:
  • Shr3dded
    Shr3dded Posts: 232
    Options
    iLcMU5e.jpg

Addicted to Sugar = Lack of Will-Power and dedication.
  • Verohh
    Verohh Posts: 24
    Options

That's an incredibly offensive and ignorant stance to take.

I work in substance abuse, so I've spent a ridiculous amount of time reading and researching addiction. Some people are more prone to addiction than others. Sugar is as addictive, if not more than cocaine. http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/researcher-sugar-addictive-cocaine-obesity-diabetes-cancer-heart-disease-article-1.1054419

OK, IF I only could manage to quote something AND write something as well, i'll be on my way LOL

JUST wanted to say that after years of self-abuse with food/candy/ice cream etc. to stuff down emotional pain I've often found myself comparing sugar to a drug and considered myself addicted to food because 1) I felt I couldn't live without it, 2) couldn't resist the temptation, 3) found out I couldn't do things in moderation so quit sugar cold-turkey, and 4) went through withdrawal-like symptoms, so 5) went back on it, because 6) had not learned to deal with my emotional pain, which 7) continued this vicious cycle of self-abuse with food - especially high carb foods (sugar). The problem is that people don't NEED drugs to live, but people need food to live... I hadn't learned to make better food choices.

So, yes I believe there is such a thing as sugar addiction, and yes I also believe that we do tell ourselves that we can't live without it as a means to avoid doing the more difficult work of choosing another method of dealing with our problems... at least, that was the case with me.

What works for me is eating apples when I crave sugary stuff, or creamy Greek yogurt when I think I want ice cream, or a square of very dark chocolate when I want something chocolaty... what works the best though is to decide once and for all that I don't want that stuff controlling me anymore... easier said than done, I know!
  • Txglitter
    Txglitter Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Wow, way too much for my ADD to wade through here, but I also can live on sugar!! add me if you would like, maybe we can help each other.
  • gojiraneko
    gojiraneko Posts: 1
    Options
    i found when i started eating a variety of 5 or 6 kinds of fruits every day my craving for bad sugars went away.

a big plateful of different berries and gala apples, kiwi, fresh pineapple etc made me look with confusion why i ever settled for the garbage i ate before
  • lovingangel4uau
    lovingangel4uau Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Knowledge helps please watch this and I think you will thing differently about sugar.
    Sugar the bitter truth:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Knowledge helps please watch this and I think you will thing differently about sugar.
    Sugar the bitter truth:
    he has been disproven and he is mad
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Sugar the bitter truth:

And if you'd like to see why that video is basically alarmism:

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
  • belatedly
    belatedly Posts: 11
    Options
    I used to be very addicted to sugar as well!
    I used to eat BAGS of gummies and sometimes my cravings would be so intense that I would eat chunks of brown sugar, or 5 spoonfuls of white sugar PLAIN. I had this constant fear of getting really early diabetes.

I took some steps to slowly cut out the food that was causing me problems.
    First I stopped drinking all soda,
    When I got used to that I stopped drinking any sweetened beverages at all,
    Later I cut out white flour which meant no more donuts or pastries or cakes.
    Then I decided to stop eating any candy besides chocolate, which meant no more gummies.
    Now recently I have stopped eating anything with white or brown sugar in it (even a small amount, like in many breads).

It was a slow process but I feel like I have successfully weaned myself and no longer have these cravings. I tend to eat a lot of fruit now :)
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Sugar the bitter truth:

And if you'd like to see why that video is basically alarmism:

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
    That was sheer educated article based off other studies 3 years ago.

There have been recent studies that shows that Alan was right. LOL
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options

Regardless of some of the opinions given on this subject, sugar addiction is real and has been proven as such and it should be treated like any other addiction. Seek the help of someone that understand addiction and is able to treat it. Good luck.
    post your proof or stfu

I already have and I just reported you