Tough Mudder Training

Options
I'm doing TM Toronto in September and I'm curious as to where to start with training. I know I need to up my distance with running, right now I comfortably run 10K on a paved trail although I am just now starting to run out on a mud trail on Saturdays. I was also advised by a personal trainer friend to work on push-ups, dips, etc. I have issues with push-ups because of an existing back problem but I was planning on working on pull-ups and dips and hoping that would do the trick. Any suggestions?

Replies

• JulieDom1979
    JulieDom1979 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My husband just completed tough mudder back in April. Upper body strength is a big thing so definitely work on upper body exercises. Pull-ups would probably be a good alternative. Good for you for taking on the challenge of TM! That's one that scares the frak out of me. I'll stick to being a mud ninja and warrior.

Good Luck!
  • DantheMan2517
    DantheMan2517 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how one would train for that also. Distance running, yeah I guess, but you run, stop, crawl or climb something, get up start running again. So I would agree with upper body strength training. Keep running, definitely, but incorporate arms and back exercises also. Good luck, you'll have a blast!

Dan
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Lots of running and lots of upper body strength work.
  • san0322
    san0322 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If you go on the TM website, they show you what you should be able to do and also show you an example of a training plan.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I'm doing TM Toronto in September and I'm curious as to where to start with training. I know I need to up my distance with running, right now I comfortably run 10K on a paved trail although I am just now starting to run out on a mud trail on Saturdays. I was also advised by a personal trainer friend to work on push-ups, dips, etc. I have issues with push-ups because of an existing back problem but I was planning on working on pull-ups and dips and hoping that would do the trick. Any suggestions?

Try incline push-ups using a counter, stairs, bench, etc. You can also start with wall push-ups (which is what I did) and work your way to smaller angles (counter, stairs, getting lower and lower until you can do full push-ups on the floor.

Also, pick up some weights, put them down, repeat. Look into the many strength training routines. I think once you start lifting (assuming you haven't already), you'll fall in love with it. Building strength allows the body to function so much better.
  • janeensan
    janeensan Posts: 66 Member
    Options

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!
    I'm doing a Spartan Race next January and am training for it. Right now I'm quite obsessed with training for obstacle racing!

Let me point you in the right direction with a link: http://www.racedaydomination.com/training-plan/

In a nutshell, this is a complete 6 month plan to get you more than ready for your race. It covers everything from nutrition to individual exercises to the complete workout plan for each week.

I am NOT affiliated with this in any way---I've just started working this program and I believe it's going to help me with my training for my race. I'm a 50 y/o female who, up until 5 months ago, was living entirely sedentary and eating crap crap crap.

I'd love to keep talking with you about this so I'm going to send a friend request to you ---I gotta get ready for work.
    Have a great day---and YAY YOU for going Mudder!
  • janeensan
    janeensan Posts: 66 Member
    Options

You can also start with wall push-ups (which is what I did) and work your way to smaller angles (counter, stairs, getting lower and lower until you can do full push-ups on the floor.

lol...yep, 'zactly what I did. I started at the kitchen counter, so I called them CPU's (counter push ups). Now I can do 10 full push ups on the floor. Not a big deal for some folks, I know, but I'm proud of myself for those ten.

It really does work to start where you're able to and then improve from there. Don't despise the small beginnings! Every race starts with a single step.
  • GBOGH_5
    GBOGH_5 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Pull ups and push ups are very helpful for getting those arms ready. Monkey bars and such also help!
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    I wonder where I would find monkey bars for someone who is 6'0" LOL
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm doing mine in October. Currently training 3 days a week with a similar app to C25k and then doing 30 day shred after - seems to help with the ache s and pains (strange I know).

Then 3 days a week i go to the gym where i do both cardio and strength training plus I have one session with a Pt where she goes through the same training on the Tough Mudder website.

Once my exams are over will start doing more of the Tough Mudder training exercises at home and also bought a chin up bar.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    If you go on the TM website, they show you what you should be able to do and also show you an example of a training plan.

This. Ive got TM Tahoe in July!
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    I'm actually headed to the gym just now, my plan for today is a 30 minute warm-up run then pull-ups, dips, and whatever else I can think of then a cool-down 30 minute run.

I just ordered NROLFW. I borrowed it from the library a while ago and loved the work-outs, although I was still hesitant to venture into the weight area, so now is a good time to buy it and actually take something away from that.
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    I'm doing mine in October. Currently training 3 days a week with a similar app to C25k and then doing 30 day shred after - seems to help with the ache s and pains (strange I know).

Then 3 days a week i go to the gym where i do both cardio and strength training plus I have one session with a Pt where she goes through the same training on the Tough Mudder website.

Once my exams are over will start doing more of the Tough Mudder training exercises at home and also bought a chin up bar.

I work out 5-6 days a week regularly, I just need to add more lifting in there. I'm also training for a 25K bike race in June and I have a 10K race in August plus a bunch of other races. Apparently 7 races this year was just not enough for me LOL.
  • SamDanielleB
    Options
    BUMP! I've got my eye on a Spartan Sprint in March.
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    As for the mud training, slippyness and hills (and frankly, this is probably going to help with everest too), this mud trail I found near me is hardcore. I ran it yesterday and was running through ankle deep mud and up hills that were so caked in mud that it was hard to keep upright. Next time I'm up at the cottage I may tackle running up the hill entering Horseshoe Valley (it's HUGEEEEE, I biked it last weekend).
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    get that endurance training in. while yes, you do run, stop, crawl, climb, slide, etc etc, the course is 12-14 miles long. no way around that.

your preparation will be depending on your race. my first TM was in new jersey, so it was very nice and flat. my second one was in nevada, on a hilly ranch at 3,500 feet elevation. it was hot, dry, and hard to breathe.

hit the trails, and get used to them running on rocky or sandy trails isn't like a long flat path. you can't always get the nice long strides you'd like.

get a good team together. no one needs to be a superstar. you run the whole thing together, helping each other across walls.

train like you will race. don't wear new shoes for the race. experiment with nutrition and hydration while training. are you planning on running with a camelbak? train with one. i like to run with as little as possible. compression shorts, drifit running shorts, and shoes. i don't wear socks or a shirt.

gloves. an often debated topic. some people would rather have them and not need them. i feel that they could get soggy and dirty, and be uncomfortable. yes there are a few obstacles where they can come in handy, but there are plenty of obstacles where they can become a hinderance. i made it across the walls and monkey bars without them. i saw plenty of people wearing them that couldn't.
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    http://toughmudder.com/training-prep/

see website they tell you how to train!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Have you done any of their boot camps? They wicked and they'll get you ready...they will seriously increase your stamina, endurance and your speed. There are three levels: beginner, intermediate and the Tough Mudder. Start with the Mudderling, then move up to the Maybe Mudder, then go to the Tough Mudder. You should be doing the Tough Mudder by the time of the race.

http://toughmudder.com/tough-mudder-boot-camp-training/

Oh, and you should get a training program just for running to increase your distance for the running part.

You can do Hal Higdon (good and free training online): http://www.halhigdon.com/training/

I also recommend Road Racing for Serious Runners by Peter Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas; you can get it on Amazon for about $15

http://books.google.com/books/about/Road_racing_for_serious_runners.html?id=MFMCf_JVJeQC

One last note: try to train on multiple surfaces....try to get on some mountainous, wooded trails to train, not just roads
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    HypersonicFit, No I haven't done any of their bootcamps and I'm not sure they are offered near me. The Toronto TM is actually held at Mount St. Louis Moonstone which is over 2 hours away from where I live and I don't drive. I am training every saturday on a nasty mud trail outside of town, it's only a 2.9km loop so I'm doing all loops of the trail (there is 3 levels, each varying distances plus another set of loops across the street that are even wetter that I will tackle soon). They're SUPER hilly, middle of the woods kind of deal. I'm currently looking for a more challenging/longer loop in the area. I'm upping my mileage as well, right now sitting at 10K, I plan to move up to 15K by July, earlier if I'm feeling good.

Capt_Apollo, GREAT advice! I don't think I'll be running in a team. My fiance was supposed to register with me but he broke his wrist last weekend and we are unsure if he should do TM even though it's so far away, because he will have only been out of a cast for a month or so. My fiance has a couple co-workers that may be interested, but not sure if that will come to pass. I'm okay doing it myself, but I agree, it's really different to have a team in a situation like this.

As for running, I'm upping my mileage soon and I'm starting on real nasty trails, I love hitting the mud and I think that is what is keeping me going. I'm excited to destroy this goal and be a tough mudder and I'm just getting started on training for it. Today was a "gauge how weak you are" day and lets just say that I'm not strong. I can do 6 dips, 3 sets with the assist at 78kg :/ and forget pull-ups -- I'll keep at it and hopefully we can bring that assist to 0kg! I tried push-ups using a lifting bench and only made it to 6 and I can't even get down all the way.

I've bought NROLFW and will be tackling that starting next week.

For the race, I probably won't be taking a camelbak with me, but I am used to training/racing with nuun so I'll probably hydrate leading up to the start and utilize all hydration stations (something I don't normally do in a race). Should I be looking at extra protein? Right now I have Premium Protein pre-mixed shakes (160 cal, 30g protein), I am experimenting atm with having one of those for breakfast and I have to say that today I wasn't hungry until noon, normally I'm hungry earlier on.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    trust me, get a team togther. doing this by yourself is so lonesome. and it's all about helping each other out!!