Movin' On Up...and the Most Honest Photo I have ever posted

Options

Replies

• Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Get those primal movement patterns being worked, and you'll with some luck be a lot more mobile in your future. Lifting will make you strong, embrace it.

"primal movement patterns"? That sounds like something I would be doing under the covers with my hubbie; and I know that he would be up for that kind of exercise. :laugh:

As for lifting weights, this is still something new for me. I am trying to be careful and use good form. I have a few exercise DVD's that were recommended by my surgeon for his patients who are preparing for knee replacement surgeries, but have limited mobility in the time prior to and immediately after the surgery. Once the 2 surgeries are done, I am told that I can expect to be doing a lot of leg work on things like a stationary bike and some kind of big ball. That should be interesting.

I live in a senior community that has fitness classes in the swimming pool. I hope to be taking part in that group as well, when I am released to do so by my doctor. I don't want to stop losing weight, just because I have my surgeries out of the way. Once I get to Onederland, I am going to set a new goal weight. I know that swimming and biking will be a part of my new life in the future.

While you are going to be reaching up for 250 pounds, I will be looking in the other direction for 170, 160 or even lower. Good luck on your journey to a bigger, stronger body. :smile:
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    primal movement patters are the basic movements a human can do. push, pull, twist, bend, squat, lunge, gait. Any rehab template should involve something along the lines of trying to make these work again. As when they stop working, thats when a lot of problems in normal everyday living start to break down too. Being unable to squat leads to knee problems, not doing pull exercises leads to hunchback and scap winging. No core exercises leads to posterior pelvic tilt. And so one. As you look back, i'm sure you can prob trace some cause and effect for yourself.

the big ball thing i'm assuming is a bosu ball. Very common for rehab to have instability training as a core tool for strengthening messed up body parts. so expect a lot of that sort of thing in your future.
  • Trimi
    Trimi Posts: 57
    Options
    Great job and keep it up.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Keep going!! And you ROCK!!!
  • godsgrl33
    godsgrl33 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you are an inspiration to me. I am a nurse aide, and I see people "of a certain age" give up on life every day. I love it when my patients are motivated to get better, and go home. So many seem to want to give up, and get worse. Congratulations on your awesome weight loss.
  • GJRicketts
    GJRicketts Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bat Gran - You're awesome! Keep up the brilliant work. MUCH respect :bigsmile:
  • ndegwa
    ndegwa Posts: 169
    Options
    I echo what most have said and keep at it, you've done really well.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you are an inspiration to me. I am a nurse aide, and I see people "of a certain age" give up on life every day. I love it when my patients are motivated to get better, and go home. So many seem to want to give up, and get worse. Congratulations on your awesome weight loss.
    I have to agree with this. And it's prob my biggest fear of aging is being old and unable to care for myself. Terrified of it actually.

For that reason MUCH respect for this guy. Ted talk from a 93 year old bodybuilder
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGgoCm1hofM

And this guy is my future. Would love my future grandkids to see me doing something like this, lol.
    http://youtu.be/AdDTKo2oyqg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Wonderful attitude I have to say.

Another 'tool' you could think about using are resistance bands - they are very flexible as to what you can do with them and very small and portable.

:flowerforyou: to you.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

Another 'tool' you could think about using are resistance bands - they are very flexible as to what you can do with them and very small and portable.

I agree with Sara, resistance bands might be a fantastic tool for you. And you can flick your husband with them when he gets out of line. :bigsmile:
  • moby_chick
    moby_chick Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have great respect for you in your efforts to keep toned and fit. I'm 59 and would like to think I could adopt an attitude like yours. Thank you for your post, which inspired me and made me laugh too... I think I'm a 'wheeled warrior' as well. :laugh: Keep us posted with your efforts and your photographs.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Nice work lady! Keep up the awesomeness!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

I agree with Sara, resistance bands might be a fantastic tool for you. And you can flick your husband with them when he gets out of line. :bigsmile:

:laugh:

I agree with all of this.

Thanks for sharing. You're doing fantastic!
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Adjustable resistance bands would be a great option for you, so you don't have to keep buying dumbbells every time you want to challenge yourself further. Wal-Mart carries them, and they're not expensive. You can stick them in a bag and take them anywhere with you.

For example, this set gives you a weight range anywhere from 2 to 40 pounds. The $35 seems pricey, but in the long run is actually a lot cheaper than buying the same weight in dumbbells:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-Mountain-Products-Resistance-Band-Set-6-Bands-Included/23528921#ProductDetail

They have other sets of course, but this will give you an idea to get started (should you feel so inclined). :smile:

I strive for progress, not perfection. And you, madam, are most certainly making great progress. You will achieve your goals, and you're an inspiration to lots of people already (including myself). That's awesome. :flowerforyou:
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    To answer your questions and general comments, 3lbs is prob still not heavy enough. If you're hitting failure at 6 reps then sure you're on pace and on the right track in your workout. But I have a hunch for the bigger compounds you could easily be doing more.

Sorry, if I made it sound like I was seeking advice on how to improve my exercise routine, but I'm okay for now. If I have questions about my exercise regime, I take them to my doctor or my physical therapist.

Perhaps you didn't read the part about me being 68 years old and confined pretty much to a wheelchair. I probably should also mention that I have arthritis in both my shoulders and hands; so, the mere fact that I am lifting any weight over my head is a small miracle at the moment.

As for bigger compounds...I believe that you are talking about push ups and such. My doctor would kill me, if he even saw me doing any exercise that involved my knees. I am considered to be at extreme risk for green stick fractures in both legs at this time. Your advice seems geared more for someone who is much younger and mobile than myself, but thanks for the suggestions.
    exercise like bi curls and tri extensions are pretty much **** near useless. small puny muscle groups that give far lower calorie burn and work less muscle groups. But people do them in the mistaken belief that somehow it will help with losing arm fat or toning problem areas. Well it won't, and it's basically a waste of time when you could instead put your time towards larger compound movements and get far larger benefit..

I may be an optomist, but I believe that any exercise of my upper body will be helpful in my efforts to lose weight and tone up my old body. As for my 'puny muscle groups', I would be glad to see them freed from those heavy layers of fat. With or without sagging skin, I don't need to carry that fat around in my upper arms.

Like I said...I have no delusions about having the body of a young, health person, even if I lose 100 pounds. However, I will do the best I can with my current limitations. In the near future, I will be working even more closely with physical therapists who will determine my post-op, exercise regime. When I get to Onederland, I will be scheduled for double knee replacement surgeries. My therapists will determine what exercise is appropriate for my age and medical issues at that time.

Well, that's the plan.

By the way, I went to your wall. It says that you are a 35 year old male. It also says that you have no MFP friends and have lost ZERO pounds lost according to your ticker. Are you just here to give your advice and opinion on the subject of exercise without being a part of MFP? I don't believe that you are a trainer or professional coach, because your comments sound so negative...almost to the point of discouraging folks who are less than full on athletes. You might want to soften your approach to other MFP folks. You will find them more willing to listen to your advice.

OP- best response EVER!!!
    You seem to have a great attitude and plan. Congrats on how far you have already come!!!!!
  • detroitcupcake
    detroitcupcake Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    sweetie you are doing amazing! and just so you know,my workmom(co-worker)is 63 and started to work out last year with a trainer.her arms were larger then yours .she has had multiple foot,back and neck surgeries! for the first 10 months they got toned on top(she used 2lbs weights that entire time)but she thought the hanging flappy parts would remain since after all the skin is 63 years old and not so elastic as one would like. but now a year later her arms are beautiful! she is my real life role model.everytime i felt like quitting or that i was doomed to feel like a weakling or near invalid due to health issues(severe asthma,hypertension,migraine,torn ligament in knee and dislocating kneecap)she just showed me that i can do anything i put my mind to .and thats true for us all.refuse to take ownership of the negative way of past thinking and just get up and kick *kitten*.now just 4 months into my weightloss journey,i am 34lbs down,off my hypertension and water pills.leg and knee feeling 1000% stronger as the new muscles take the burden :-) no migraines since i cut the salt outa my diet.
    :drinker:
    be proud! and remember.you are a thrive-er,not just a survivor
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Moving up is moving up!

I applaud you for making the move! Great Job!
  • J3nnyV
    J3nnyV Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this inspiration! Great job! Go Granny Go!
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! I love your attitude! I love the fact that you are setting realistic goals and going for them. Way to go!!!!
  • hdyanneh
    hdyanneh Posts: 39
    Options
    I just want to cheer you on YOU ROCK!!! You must be the most awesome granny ever!!!.