Smokers

Diana8923
Diana8923 Posts: 147 Member
Hi! I smoke since the age of 16. It's a vicious habit you can't get rid of that easy. I know that it will be quite a hassle when I will finally quit cigarettes. Smokers will know what I'm talking about.
Can anyone share a successful story about quitting cigarettes?
And is anyone else afraid they might gain weight if they stop smoking?!

Would love to start a support group for us smokers that also deal with weight problems. :ohwell:
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• sarahtonin015
    sarahtonin015 Posts: 193
    Hi there :) I'm 21; I had started smoking casually when I was 12 (mostly with my big sister, who also smoked), but started smoking heavily by 14. In the last 5 years when I smoked, I'd smoke about a pack and a half a day - MINIMUM, a pack a day. It did help me maintain my low weight, since I'd often smoke whenever I felt hungry, instead of eating. Unfortunately, it brought on a unique heart condition in which sometimes, for no reason or trigger, my heart rate would spike and give me the same symptoms people experience during hyperventilation. My dad's a paramedic and he said there's no cure for this, but it's not dangerous unless I do a couple maneuvers to make it go away and it persists. It only happened from time to time though, so I kept smoking, lol. (I still have it, and have no way of knowing if it'll ever go away, but it occurs FAR less frequently than it used to.)

I quit for 8 months during my senior year of high school, and I definitely did gain about 5 to 10 pounds. It mostly showed in my face, which rounded out a little bit. But surprisingly, most of my family and friends said I looked healthier, as when I smoked heavily, my cheeks were really gaunt and I was dangerously thin looking at times (my grandparents would always ask me if I had an ED lol).

I wound up quitting for a second time on August 20th of last year, and I haven't smoked a single cigarette since (4 days ago marked 9 months, my new record). I'm the kind of person who can't quit gradually - I have to quit cold turkey, or else I get back into it (say, if I have a bad day, and suddenly I'd be back to smoking a pack and a half). But I also quit drinking Pepsi and Coke cold turkey on the same day (I drank about 3-5 cans of either a day). In a way, that was probably one of my smartest moves, because I found I barely craved cigarettes as much as I craved Pepsi and/or Coke :P Admittedly, in the beginning, from time to time I'd use a nicotine-free e-smoke whenever I was around friends who smoked, because I missed the HABIT more than anything.

I didn't gain weight like I did the first time I quit - if I did, anyways, I didn't notice it. Obviously, I'm not as thin as I was when I smoked, but that's to be expected. But my face didn't round out like the last time. Much of my family and most of my best friends back home smoke, so whenever I go home and visit, sometimes it's tough not to want to give in to cravings, but so far it hasn't been a problem. Especially now that I'm all gung ho about my diet and working my *kitten* off with walking and Pilates classes, so I'll be continuing that and finding a Pilates studio to go to whenever I can during the 2 (busy) months I'll be back in Ontario this summer. Hopefully that will keep me motivated and keep me from straying back into that habit.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    I quit smoking many years ago... I realized my guilt and shame about smoking were part of the mentality of an addict. I got mad at myself for always having to smoke with the ordinary ups and downs in the days and refused to be an addict. I also joined a stop smoking program and went for 6 weeks even though I'd quit before it started -- I know that kept me from starting again. Many hospitals today have free programs. I paid $300 for mine and it was worth every penny.

The first couple of days were rough, almost like having the flu, but I told myself, "Tough ****." It got easier over time. I was very serious about quitting -- I stayed away from all people who smoked and all situations (like pubs) where I could smell smoke for about 6 months. I gave myself treats like books, travel, good coffee, and body lotions that smelled great. All cravings stopped after 4 months. It's been over 20 years now, incredibly.

I enjoyed smoking, to be honest, but didn't enjoy the sore throats, coughs, expense, the bad smell on my clothes, and daily worries about disease. That's no way to live. Quitting is hard, but millions of people have done it -- the hardest part is making the decision. You can do it!
  • Diana8923
    Hi there :) I'm 21; I had started smoking casually when I was 12 (mostly with my big sister, who also smoked), but started smoking heavily by 14. In the last 5 years when I smoked, I'd smoke about a pack and a half a day - MINIMUM, a pack a day. It did help me maintain my low weight, since I'd often smoke whenever I felt hungry, instead of eating. Unfortunately, it brought on a unique heart condition in which sometimes, for no reason or trigger, my heart rate would spike and give me the same symptoms people experience during hyperventilation. My dad's a paramedic and he said there's no cure for this, but it's not dangerous unless I do a couple maneuvers to make it go away and it persists. It only happened from time to time though, so I kept smoking, lol. (I still have it, and have no way of knowing if it'll ever go away, but it occurs FAR less frequently than it used to.)

I quit for 8 months during my senior year of high school, and I definitely did gain about 5 to 10 pounds. It mostly showed in my face, which rounded out a little bit. But surprisingly, most of my family and friends said I looked healthier, as when I smoked heavily, my cheeks were really gaunt and I was dangerously thin looking at times (my grandparents would always ask me if I had an ED lol).

I wound up quitting for a second time on August 20th of last year, and I haven't smoked a single cigarette since (4 days ago marked 9 months, my new record). I'm the kind of person who can't quit gradually - I have to quit cold turkey, or else I get back into it (say, if I have a bad day, and suddenly I'd be back to smoking a pack and a half). But I also quit drinking Pepsi and Coke cold turkey on the same day (I drank about 3-5 cans of either a day). In a way, that was probably one of my smartest moves, because I found I barely craved cigarettes as much as I craved Pepsi and/or Coke :P Admittedly, in the beginning, from time to time I'd use a nicotine-free e-smoke whenever I was around friends who smoked, because I missed the HABIT more than anything.

I didn't gain weight like I did the first time I quit - if I did, anyways, I didn't notice it. Obviously, I'm not as thin as I was when I smoked, but that's to be expected. But my face didn't round out like the last time. Much of my family and most of my best friends back home smoke, so whenever I go home and visit, sometimes it's tough not to want to give in to cravings, but so far it hasn't been a problem. Especially now that I'm all gung ho about my diet and working my *kitten* off with walking and Pilates classes, so I'll be continuing that and finding a Pilates studio to go to whenever I can during the 2 (busy) months I'll be back in Ontario this summer. Hopefully that will keep me motivated and keep me from straying back into that habit.

Thank you for sharing this! Yeah, I know how your social environment can be a big problem. My boyfriend smokes, 80% of my friends do. I hope I will achieve what you did. And I know that it was not easy. So way to go and wish me luck. :D
  • sarahtonin015
    sarahtonin015 Posts: 193
    Thank you for sharing this! Yeah, I know how your social environment can be a big problem. My boyfriend smokes, 80% of my friends do. I hope I will achieve what you did. And I know that it was not easy. So way to go and wish me luck. :D

Absolutely - you can do it, we believe in you! I understand that it'll be tough though, and if it takes a few tries, that's okay; I can't imagine trying to quit smoking if my partner smoked, geez... But the fact that you seem to want to is already a huge step in the right direction. Just know that, on average, it takes around 7 tries for a smoker to successfully quit for good :) Sometimes, that thought made me feel a bit better if I fell off the wagon (I mentioned that I quit before this time for 8 months, but I didn't mention that - in between that - I'd sporadically "quit" anywhere from several hours to a week or two before I'd lose my cool and go back to it.

OH, one other HUGE piece of advice that ties into my last point: don't make a big public announcement about it when you quit, or tell a ton of people at first. I always made the mistake of making a Facebook status about it, and then suddenly my WHOLE friends list would know. Then, when I'd cave and start smoking again, you have all that added guilt of a bunch of your friends shaking their heads and saying, "Nooooo, you were doing so good!" etc. When I quit in August, I only told a few people and waited until I'd quit for about a month before I announced it on FB, because I was proud of it :) Just a thought!
  • Diana8923
    I quit smoking many years ago... I realized my guilt and shame about smoking were part of the mentality of an addict. I got mad at myself for always having to smoke with the ordinary ups and downs in the days and refused to be an addict. I also joined a stop smoking program and went for 6 weeks even though I'd quit before it started -- I know that kept me from starting again. Many hospitals today have free programs. I paid $300 for mine and it was worth every penny.

The first couple of days were rough, almost like having the flu, but I told myself, "Tough ****." It got easier over time. I was very serious about quitting -- I stayed away from all people who smoked and all situations (like pubs) where I could smell smoke for about 6 months. I gave myself treats like books, travel, good coffee, and body lotions that smelled great. All cravings stopped after 4 months. It's been over 20 years now, incredibly.

I enjoyed smoking, to be honest, but didn't enjoy the sore throats, coughs, expense, the bad smell on my clothes, and daily worries about disease. That's no way to live. Quitting is hard, but millions of people have done it -- the hardest part is making the decision. You can do it!

Thank you so much for the support! You are an inspiration for me. The good news is that if someone would have asked me 1 year ago if I wanted to quit smoking I would've definitely said no. But lately it's another story. I think I'm ready to give it a try, even if it'll be tough. And people like you and Sarah are what I need to keep me motivated.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    I've never smoked, but my parents have both smoked for decades. My dad quit in March and is still going strong, and I'm so proud of him. He's made a real commitment to getting healthy since my mom divorced him; he dropped a hundred pounds in about 18 months, and has his type II diabetes more or less under control; he takes medication, but doesn't have to inject insulin or check his blood sugar daily. He's in better health now than he ever has been as long as I've known him. And he realized a few months ago that everything he's doing is all for naught if he keeps smoking. It took him 30 years to have that epiphany, but I'm glad he did.

The point of my story is that the motivation to quit has to come from within you. I'm sure you understand that, but that's the theme you're going to see come up in everyone else's story. You can't quit until you decide to quit. And, for whatever the words of a stranger on the Internet are worth, I believe you can make that decision. You can do it.

You may gain weight. But don't focus on the scale. Focus on being healthy.
  • melb_alex
    melb_alex Posts: 1,154 Member
    Smoking is the WORST thing you can do to your body but I don't judge I wish you sincere luck in your quitting journey :)

Alex
  • Diana8923

Absolutely - you can do it, we believe in you! I understand that it'll be tough though, and if it takes a few tries, that's okay; I can't imagine trying to quit smoking if my partner smoked, geez... But the fact that you seem to want to is already a huge step in the right direction. Just know that, on average, it takes around 7 tries for a smoker to successfully quit for good :) Sometimes, that thought made me feel a bit better if I fell off the wagon (I mentioned that I quit before this time for 8 months, but I didn't mention that - in between that - I'd sporadically "quit" anywhere from several hours to a week or two before I'd lose my cool and go back to it.

OH, one other HUGE piece of advice that ties into my last point: don't make a big public announcement about it when you quit, or tell a ton of people at first. I always made the mistake of making a Facebook status about it, and then suddenly my WHOLE friends list would know. Then, when I'd cave and start smoking again, you have all that added guilt of a bunch of your friends shaking their heads and saying, "Nooooo, you were doing so good!" etc. When I quit in August, I only told a few people and waited until I'd quit for about a month before I announced it on FB, because I was proud of it :) Just a thought!

I'll definitely keep that in mind. And if I manage to quit smoking with all my smoker friend around I will definitely have one more reason to be proud of myself I think. My boyfriend once said that if I could quit smoking, he would as well. So there's one more reason to do it.
  • blakerb29
    blakerb29 Posts: 74
    Ive been smoking for 8 years now I think or close enough which at 24 is a third of my life already.
    I haven't quit and until recently I haven't even wanted to on any level.
    It is the desire for elite fitness and to be around in the best condition possible for as long as possible for my family that are my reasons.
    Fortunately I come from a athletic family so I still have above average lung capacity and
    cardio but I must still quit & I know I will do it in the next year or two.

-Blake
  • Diana8923
    I've never smoked, but my parents have both smoked for decades. My dad quit in March and is still going strong, and I'm so proud of him. He's made a real commitment to getting healthy since my mom divorced him; he dropped a hundred pounds in about 18 months, and has his type II diabetes more or less under control; he takes medication, but doesn't have to inject insulin or check his blood sugar daily. He's in better health now than he ever has been as long as I've known him. And he realized a few months ago that everything he's doing is all for naught if he keeps smoking. It took him 30 years to have that epiphany, but I'm glad he did.

The point of my story is that the motivation to quit has to come from within you. I'm sure you understand that, but that's the theme you're going to see come up in everyone else's story. You can't quit until you decide to quit. And, for whatever the words of a stranger on the Internet are worth, I believe you can make that decision. You can do it.

You may gain weight. But don't focus on the scale. Focus on being healthy.

Thank you! Your dad is a true hero.
    So many kind, supportive words from you all! I am very touched. Bless you!
  • Diana8923
    Ive been smoking for 8 years now I think or close enough which at 24 is a third of my life already.
    I haven't quit and until recently I haven't even wanted to on any level.
    It is the desire for elite fitness and to be around in the best condition possible for as long as possible for my family that are my reasons.
    Fortunately I come from a athletic family so I still have above average lung capacity and
    cardio but I must still quit & I know I will do it in the next year or two.

-Blake

I think we deserve to quit smoking, in order to be healthy and free. I hope to quit this summer and turn my life around. I wish you all the best! :flowerforyou:
  • elishazf
    elishazf Posts: 332 Member
    I just recently quit tobacco. I'm 20. I had smoke since I was 16 and chewed tobacco since I was 15. I went to go stay at a friends house who finds all tobacco disgusting and didn't bring any cigs or dip with me and just stopped after that. The first week sucked but after that it started getting easier and easier. I've been tobacco free for over a month
  • Diana8923
    Smoking is the WORST thing you can do to your body but I don't judge I wish you sincere luck in your quitting journey :)

Alex

It really is the worst. I hope that soon I will share a success story. ;)
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    I still smoke. The longest I went was 8 months. I do plan to quit this year - but I also figured that my anxiety is a contributing factor to my weight gain AND my smoking.

I have my weight loss under control now, it has been almost a full year. I am currently working on my anxiety - so I am hoping to drop the smokes in a few months from now.

I always feel so conflicted when I eat clean, work out hard...then light up a smoke. It just doesn't belong! :D
  • Diana8923
    I just recently quit tobacco. I'm 20. I had smoke since I was 16 and chewed tobacco since I was 15. I went to go stay at a friends house who finds all tobacco disgusting and didn't bring any cigs or dip with me and just stopped after that. The first week sucked but after that it started getting easier and easier. I've been tobacco free for over a month

Congrats! Keep it up!
  • elishazf
    elishazf Posts: 332 Member

Congrats! Keep it up!

Thanks! And I never had an issue with weight gain. I actually still didn't eat when I would normally dip or smoke, but I gradually got my appetite back
  • Diana8923
    I still smoke. The longest I went was 8 months. I do plan to quit this year - but I also figured that my anxiety is a contributing factor to my weight gain AND my smoking.

I have my weight loss under control now, it has been almost a full year. I am currently working on my anxiety - so I am hoping to drop the smokes in a few months from now.

I always feel so conflicted when I eat clean, work out hard...then light up a smoke. It just doesn't belong! :D

I also struggle sometimes with anxiety. I think somehow smoking and anxiety are linked together. I wish you all the best. We shall be smoke- and anxiety free at this time next year. :)
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    I have tried many times to quit smoking........I just had my last cig about an hour ago .......I keep telling myself I want to quit and I need to quit.... working out and smoking is NO good ... we can do this ..add me if you would like ...Megan
  • Diana8923
    I have tried many times to quit smoking........I just had my last cig about an hour ago .......I keep telling myself I want to quit and I need to quit.... working out and smoking is NO good ... we can do this ..add me if you would like ...Megan

Yeah we can! Added you! Hugs!
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    I started smoking at age 11. I smoked for 39 years! I thought about and attempted to quit many times over the years.

I gained my weight just before I actually stopped smoking. I had been feeling less than well for a long time. It got to where I could barely breathe or move anymore. That is when I started gaining. Finally, I thought I was just waiting to die. I really felt that I had emphysema. So, a trip to the doctor followed. To my surprise, and his, I did not have emphysema and he actually said my lungs looked wonderful. He couldn't even believe I had smoked, let alone for almost 40 years. I asked for help to quit that day. He prescribed me Chantix. I used it as directed and was smoke free within the next week. I never smoked another one and never had a withdrawl or craving. I thought I found a miracle cure. That was 5 years ago.

I did not start thinking of losing that weight until 02/24/12. But, when I decided it was time, there was no stopping me. I am 11 pounds from my goal weight, down from a 20/22 to a 4/6 and have gained an entire, wonderful life that gives me such joy now.

Do whatever you can to take control and experience all life has to offer. It's wonderful to be among the living. I look fit and healthy, I feel fit and healthy and now I feel like I have so much more life to live. Giving up the smokes was the first step. Do it! Good luck! I hope you get everything in life that you hope for! <3 By the way, I' just turned 56 years old and nobody believes it.