Anyone experience INSANITY related injuries?

Options
Hello,
This is my second time starting INSANITY and I am on my 3rd week day 5. I had to stop the first time because I developed tendonitis in my knee from overuse. I restarted after 4 weeks of rest and then building up strength at my doctors advice.
Monday my ankle started feeling strange (a little achy and tender on the inside near the ankle bone) and my calf pain from week 1 started again. On day 3 I decided to swap the recovery day for pure cardio and felt better. Yesterday I did pure cardio and cardio abs...felt a little calf soreness and a bit of ankle pain but once I warmed up I felt awesome and was able to get through the whole workout. Throughout the day today my ankle started feeling sore again but I laced up anyway determined to get through my workout thinking it might just be muscle soreness. I could only get through 2 rounds of the warmup and I had to stop, my ankle was throbbing. Pretty sure I have Tendonitis in my ankle now (I'll go to the doc to get an official dx).
I am wondering if other MFP-ers have dealt with any insanity related injuries. Did you stop completely? Did you rest and then continue, (and if so for how long)? Did anyone modify the routine and stretch it out over a longer period of time? What were you results like?
Sorry for all the questions, just looking for support and a plan to move forward with. I feel SO disappointed, I really love insanity and the results.

Replies

• rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    My right knee is a little sore, but I think it's just because I used poor form with my lunges yesterday. Other than that, I've been fine.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Insanity is fun but incredibly tough on the joints. Your body telling you to move on. You can listen or you can keep going till you need surgery.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I blew my ankle out.

It was my stupid self, not wearing shoes. But I am pretty positive I tore a ligament, it was nasty and my poor ankle was swollen for about two weeks. The good thing is... It turned me onto lifting!
  • tyraun_b
    tyraun_b Posts: 65
    Options
    I jus started having a little knee tenderness myself. i've never had any knee problems before. i have a tendency of doing double sessions so i believe thats my issue. prior to this i was fine though.
  • brentbarrie
    brentbarrie Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Im on Day 2 of Month 2. For the last few weeks my left knee has been sore. It feels bruised but not to the touch. Its on the inside. When I squat, its pretty painful and feels like the bone is chipped or something and its poking. Its hard to explain. Its find when I'm walking but I can feel some pressure. Its only painful when I squat down. It basically feels bruised on the inside.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I consider myself to be in great shape physically, but when I do the Insanity program as laid out, my right knee feels awful. In fact, there was a time when I was unable to bend it as easily as I could the left knee. I know that my form was good as I was working out with others whom I had to specifically watch me.

I only use Insanity workouts every once in a while because I like the cardio calorie burn from them, but I will never again do the entire program as laid out. I lost muscular strength in my upper body and messed up my right knee. I can still feel my right knee tweaking at times when I use the leg press machine (which is strange since I never feel it doing squats with 200+ pounds), but I never had knee issues prior to Insanity.
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options

I am wondering if other MFP-ers have dealt with any insanity related injuries.

TBH, I think you should pack Insanity in completely and do something else :flowerforyou:
  • __Aid__
    __Aid__ Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I managed day 3 or 4 of week 1 , went to bed and slipped into a diabetic coma

not tried it since, maybe its a little to hard core for me
  • delvin2
    delvin2 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have experienced knee and shoulder issues...tenderness mainly. I run 3X per week, so I know I'm not injured, but those pedal lunges and crazy push ups take their toll. If I'm in pain, I substitute exercises...squats for lunges, ski abs for side suicides. I try to work similar muscle groups, but sometimes just keeping my heart rate up is good enough for me. Listen to your body.
  • agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My husband has metal in both ankles and his back and all the jumping bothers him so he's not doing it.

I would suggest looking into a hybrid program. You know, Insanity 3x week & running (or anything else) 3x a week. There are lots of actual schedules that people have already created so you don't have to create one from scratch.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you could start a weight training program instead?
  • aletadiana
    aletadiana Posts: 54
    Options
    Excellent advice from all. I am definitely a proponent of listening to my body, and that's why I have stopped for at least the next few days. I may try and do insanity 3x/week and 3x/week other exercises. My boyfriend is trying to get me to do an at home wight training routine but videos help motivate me believe it or not!
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My insanity has caused me injuries on more than one occasion.

But the doctors have changed my medication, and I'm doing much better now.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice from all. I am definitely a proponent of listening to my body, and that's why I have stopped for at least the next few days. I may try and do insanity 3x/week and 3x/week other exercises. My boyfriend is trying to get me to do an at home wight training routine but videos help motivate me believe it or not!

This is not listening to your body. You won't heal on three days of plyo a week. Insanity is fun, but it was never meant to be a long term fitness solution. It's time to move on. It's going to be hard to get motivated by videos during the 6 weeks your ankle is going to be in a splint and the 8 weeks of rehab after, just sayin
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Insanity is a very injury prone workout program and the form illustrated by people in the videos (even Shaun T himself) is not ideal. Whether or not you walk away fro this program without serious injury is a matter of luck of the draw. You just had to cash out early is all and move on from Insanity entirely.
  • aletadiana
    aletadiana Posts: 54
    Options

LOL! that's a completely different issue I have entirely!
  • shane1re
    shane1re Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm in the 6th week of Insanity (first week of month two) and have just begun experiencing some tenderness in my knees and soreness/bordering on pain in my left ankle. I've been icing them as appropriate and just substituting exercises with less impact as needed. So far I haven't needed to stop, and I'm hoping I won't have to because I love the results!
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    yes gave me peroneal tendonitis if you are having pain stop try something else. It's not worth ending up injured for weeks not being able to do anything
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what Insanity is. But I know me. And I won't agree with a program named Insanity. LOL