tattoo and dad

Options
bearkisses
bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
Okay. So I am FULL AWARE of how dumb this sounds, as I am 27...but I was wondering if anyone had any opinions or ideas on how to buffer myself and my dad's feelings the most.

My dad hates tattoos. I have 6 of them. He knows of 3.

One is quite large, on my leg, and is a mermaid...and you can see her boobs. So. I know he will hate it regardless of what I do, but I was wondering if I should just show up in a dress to my jack and jill on Saturday and then he'll be like "wtf" and angry quietly. Or, If I should tell him beforehand that I have a rather large mermaid tattood on my leg...

I just hate it when he is upset, and I know that he will internalize it and make it all about him. And he doesn't get practicallly angry, he will be super duper angry.

Anyone hate tattoos and have kids that have them...any way to make this as easy on the both of us as possible.

Signed,

You never get to grow up and make your own choices w/o parents being lame

Replies

• catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I would tell him prior.
  • bearkisses
    Options
    I would tell him prior.

I did this before and it still sucked. I may do it.

And thank you so much for not saying "well, you're an adult"...i kind of know that!!! But I don't want an explosion ya know. I like peace.
  • Lessthanpenguins
    Lessthanpenguins Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My Mom freaked when I told her about mine but we were going on a family vacation and it was either tell her or let her find out on vacation. Now she just makes underhanded comments about it all the time. I would definitely recomend saying something before hand.
  • bearkisses
    Options
    My Mom freaked when I told her about mine but we were going on a family vacation and it was either tell her or let her find out on vacation. Now she just makes underhanded comments about it all the time. I would definitely recomend saying something before hand.

I think I am so worried cause it is not like it is flowers. it is a bare breasted woman! I told him previously about a huge flower piece of my back. I also have a cupcake on my ankle that he has never seen...but I am not even worried. I think it is actual artwork I am worried about him having a heart attack about.
  • Lessthanpenguins
    Options
    That I can understand as well. That is just something that you are going to have to face one way or another. Luckily for me, my art is just knotwork done on my leg. I would still go with telling him before hand. I have to imagine that unless the piece is of substantial size, the topless mermaid shouldn't be too noticiable as hanging out without closer inspection. I could be wrong without seeing it though.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Your a grown adult.
    They will either accept you for what you do with your body or they wont.
    Just becuz they are your 'rents, doesn't give them owner ship of you.
  • billmac
    billmac Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'll say this much. I'm looking at investing in tattoo removal. It will be the greatest growth industry the world has seen since...tattoos.
  • Lessthanpenguins
    Options
    I'll say this much. I'm looking at investing in tattoo removal. It will be the greatest growth industry the world has seen since...tattoos.

While it is true that this is a growing market, I would rather keep mine even if I get to a point where I don't like it cause of what it reminds me of from my youth. Granted I am not that old and I have only had mine for about 7 years, I wouldn't change my choice one bit from then to now.
  • bearkisses
    Options
    so, this is the tattoo...like i said, it is moreso that it is mermaid that I am worried about him overreacting. I guess I just need to bite the bullet though

358555h.jpg

35jh7wk.jpg
  • bearkisses
    Options
    That I can understand as well. That is just something that you are going to have to face one way or another. Luckily for me, my art is just knotwork done on my leg. I would still go with telling him before hand. I have to imagine that unless the piece is of substantial size, the topless mermaid shouldn't be too noticiable as hanging out without closer inspection. I could be wrong without seeing it though.

it covers quite a large piece of my leg lol
  • Lessthanpenguins
    Options
    Nice, but yeah, she is just kinda all out there. Not much you can do about it truth be told. unless its a super formal jack and jill and stockings can be worn, its just gonna kinda be out there. I stick to my thought of tell him before hand so it has less potential of ruining the party for everyone.
  • katiebiotch
    katiebiotch Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just went through the same thing with my mom. About a year ago I got a beautiful antique key on my spine. My best friend has a matching one. I had told my mom about my first tattoo and she was quite upset. My sisters wedding is coming up and I'm a bridesmaid and I didn't want her to be surprised and see it while walking down the isle and ruin my sisters wedding day. I knew I had to tell her. One day on the phone I just blurted it out. She was upset but wasn't mad. Assure your dad that your an individual and you love the tattoo because it means a lot to you. Tell him he doesn't have to like it but he should respect your choices because it is your own body.
  • bearkisses
    Options
    Nice, but yeah, she is just kinda all out there. Not much you can do about it truth be told. unless its a super formal jack and jill and stockings can be worn, its just gonna kinda be out there. I stick to my thought of tell him before hand so it has less potential of ruining the party for everyone.
    I might just wear opaque tights..I don't think he can handle it. If i muster up some courage I may just tell him. My other tats i was not nearly as worried about. gah.
  • bearkisses
    Options
    Do you think telling him I have i, what it is, and the size...and then explaining that i really don't want it to be an issue and that if HE wants me to cover it I will...is a good/bad idea? I don't even know if that sounds condescending or not. I see it as being respectful to his wishes?
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Bwaha. My Dad hates them too, but I'm still going to get one when I'm at my goal weight. Then again, I am 27 years old, married, with kids. So nothing he says about it would affect me anyway :tongue: .

But for you, I don't know, call him and be like "Hey Dad, how are you? How's life going" What's new? I have a bare-breasted mermaid tattooed on my leg. How's your job going? Do you have any plans for the summer?"
  • Lessthanpenguins
    Options
    Bwaha. My Dad hates them too, but I'm still going to get one when I'm at my goal weight. Then again, I am 27 years old, married, with kids. So nothing he says about it would affect me anyway :tongue: .

But for you, I don't know, call him and be like "Hey Dad, how are you? How's life going" What's new? I have a bare-breasted mermaid tattooed on my leg. How's your job going? Do you have any plans for the summer?"

Ha i like it Jenni

Bear, that might be a good way to go about it. Tell him about it but yet tell him you want to be respectful of his thought behind it and you are willing to find a way to cover it for the jack and jill if he would like you to. Lets you get it out that you have it and are proud of it and can keeps the peace in the family.
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    so, this is the tattoo...like i said, it is moreso that it is mermaid that I am worried about him overreacting. I guess I just need to bite the bullet though

358555h.jpg

35jh7wk.jpg

Buy her a bikinis top for the wedding :P
  • Hopeful_
    Hopeful_ Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    That really is artwork! You could always draw a bra on her! ;)
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    i would just hide it as long as possible..... seriously.... u can just say u have tattoos but that doesnt mean u have to show them lol...