What do I do when nothing works?

Options
I have tried to lose weight pretty much my entire life and nothing works. Weight Watchers, Paleo, P90X, Couch to 5K...you name it, I've tried it. None of the traditional methods work. Since January I have been doing My Fitness Pal and exercising 3 days a week. I eat 1800 calories a day (tried 1200, but that was putting me into starvation mode according to my nutritionist) and eat very well. No processed foods, not a lot of salt, not a lot of bad fat, etc. In six months I have gained ten pounds, which I thought was muscle at first but I haven't lost any weight since I started seriously dieting and working out, so I'm pretty convinced it's not because I haven't lost any weight. Any.

I'm getting frustrated and a little desperate here. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If y are weighing and/or measuring everything and being honest in logging food and exercise (especially if you're eating those calories back) and you gained 10 pounds, talk to your doc. Otherwise, I'd say, barring a medical cause, that you're either underestimating how much you eat, overestimating burn or a combination of both.
  • KaraAlste
    KaraAlste Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Be willing to change it up.
    Track everything and when you are not getting results, try something new.

It could be a new diet, a new exersize routine, adding water, adding more protien, anything.
    Sometimes, it's our body adapting to our routine.

Also, think of something that has worked for you in the past and do it again.
    Consistancy is key because if you do it for one day, it will not create change, it has to be everyday.

But if you don't see results in one week, try another method.
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    There is a huge difference between 1200 and 1800 calories!! What amount did mfp give you originally?
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of numbers between 1200 and 1800. It seems like 1800 is too many for weight loss for you. I would eat 1800 cals. if I wanted to weight 180 lbs. (rule of thumb).
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked?
    What you are describing was my issue before getting diagnosed with thyroid disease. I'd follow everything perfectly and nothing worked.
    Now that I'm on meds and my disease is controlled? EVERYthing works like it should - it's night and day!
    I'd highly recommend seeing an endocrinologist if you can. 1 in 10 women have undiagnosed thyroid disease.

Good luck!
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    another question is how much are you trying to lose, if your just trying to lose vanity pounds (i.e. your a healthy weight and just want to lose to look better) it take more time than someone who is overweight and losing. perhaps you just need to give it more time. and not jump around each time you dont see results. patience a really important key to weight loss
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I don't know your current weight/size, but for me 1800 calories is maintenance mode. I can't lose weight at that level unless I'm doing 45-90 minutes of high impact exercising. I have to stay between 1300-1600 calories to lose weight. Maybe try going down to 1600 calories. It's not much of a drop in calories.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Its VERY unlikely that you gained 10 lbs of muscle (if not impossible).

There are a lot of people here that can give you helpful advice, but you should open your diary and provide some more info....like how much you really need to lose (height, weight, etc...will be helpful). What kind of exercise are you doing? Are you tracking everything you eat? ....are your calorie burns realistic?

If you're eating as well as you say, and exercising regularly, there's no logical reason for you to gain....so if that's truly the case (and you aren't over or under estimating your workouts and calorie intake), you should consider seeing a doctor to see if they can rule out and medical issues..
  • herhighnessvictoria
    Options
    I am 5'7" and 189 lbs. Not too extreme, but overweight enough that I am uncomfortable in my skin.

MFP originally gave me 1200, but I was exercising really rigorously (2 hours of cardio and weight lifting 3x weekly) that my nutritionist thought that would put me in starvation mode so she raised it to 1800. I was on 1200 for 4 months and lost nothing.
    I have been doing P90X for the past 2 weeks and nothing has happened.

I am very honest about what I put on MFP. I do my best not to over or underestimate calories I eat or calories I burn.

Had my thyroid checked. Medically, everything is normal.
  • JulieGirl58
    JulieGirl58 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    1800 calories seems like too much for weight loss.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I would worry about any nutritionist who starts going on about 'starvation mode'. You don't need any qualifications to call yourself a nutritionist. If you need that sort of advice seek out a registered dietician. Also get a check up by your doctor.
  • Metallux
    Metallux Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    well, also, if you've maybe had yo-yo dieting in the past, or eating too few calories plus that much cardio and weights, at your height, I could kind of understand why someone might think you could use 1800 calories--as a way to help stabilize your metabolism so your body knows its safe and not in starvation mode.

10 pound gain is a bit much. you could probably safely come down 100 or 200 calories a day though

read bumblebums link!
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Crack open that diary and lets take a looksee? :smile:

Can you answer the very important points below:
    If you are weighing and/or measuring everything and being honest....
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Has to be something wrong with health or entries.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you what I did. I gave up.

That ultimately was the solution for me. I run, I lift heavy, I love it and I stopped worrying about the scale.
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    Without knowing how much you weighed to start with and weigh now, it's hard to offer an opinion.
  • herhighnessvictoria
    Options
    The only thing I consistently go over on in MFP are sugars, and that's usually because there's two sugars here and one there, and then I have an apple or banana and it puts me way over. (MFP gives me 24/day)

So I'll ask this question while I'm here: how important is it to stay under all the categories MPF gives you?
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Forget the scale, what does the measuring tape say?a
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    1800 calories seems like too much for weight loss.

Not at all. I eat 1800 calories and am 5'4 and 137 pounds and I'm still losing weight. I have a standing job and am trying to do Ripped in 30 but other than that I'm not exercising for 2 hours a day or anything.