Cottage cheese... Taste? Ideas?

Options

Replies

• strawberrygashes
    strawberrygashes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The best dips I have ever made used cottage cheese as a base. All you have to do is take a container (8 or 16 oz depending on the strength desired) of cottage cheese and dump the whole thing into a blender and add a dry soup mix (e.g. onion), a ranch flavoring packet (the ones used to make your own ranch dressing), or whatever herbs and spices you want. Tons of recipes can be found on the Internet, but instead of using sour cream as the base, use cottage cheese instead. It is a good way to get raw veggies down and add more lean protein to your diet.

Thanks!! I will have to try it to make dips, I love making dips. I tend to use natural yogurt though as a base. I will give cottage cheese a try.
  • Bethadeetz
    Options
    I eat 2% cottage cheese (because fat free tastes terrible) with fresh pineapple, peaches, or a banana. :)
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I eat it with banana, berries, pineapple, pretty much any fruit, makes the texture better and adds flavor.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I am fortunate as I love plain cottage cheese, as long as it is fairly thick. I get mine from Lidl/Aldi here in the Uk... pic frisch brand. I love it on baked sweet potatoes, the flavours seem to work so well together. I also put it on top of veggie burgers and even sometimes have it with my salmon on the side. I know some people make a sort of dessert with it by adding cocoa powder and a little stevia or splenda too.
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I use to love it with toasted english muffin. Now that I've cut back on my carbs I eat it just plain.
  • kaidan
    kaidan Posts: 4
    Options
    I eat cottage cheese as a snack every day around 10am. I eat 1/2 a cup with 7 low fat triscuit crackers (I break them in half so I feel like I get 14 instead.) I put a big scoop of cottage cheese on each. Yum!
  • kmmealey
    kmmealey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Laughed when I first say the post - I had a cottage cheese questions also :-) Love all of the recipe suggestions.

@Shannon, I just discovered how much sodium is in most cottage cheese here in the US. I was eating every day for the protein,
    I ususally get Prairie Farms but picked up some Daisy brand this week because it has 100 mg less sodium. Hope it's good. I haven't been able to find any without sodium at our local grocery stores. Most dairy has a fair amount of sodium - I guess as a preservative?

BTW, lots of folks like cottage cheese with peaches. Probably any summer fruit would be good.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    splash of hot sauce and some pepper.
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid my grandmother used to eat plain cottage cheese topped with Russian or 1000 island dressing and sliced tomatoes from the garden on the side. We loved it!! My husband & son think it's gross, but I love it! :heart:
  • abigailmariecs
    abigailmariecs Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese, I always have. I eat it: plain, with a little bit of pepper, with pineapple chunks, with walnut pieces (suggest only 1/2 serving of nuts or it over powers it), with peaches, and my new favorite way is as a salad dressing for mixed baby greens (otherwise I find I use way too much dressing as it is not as watery as romaine or iceburg). I am not a very big fan of sweet things so when I add peaches I tend to sprinkle a little salt to help balance it (not good for me, I know). I also use it on pizza instead of shredded cheese or 1/2 and 1/2, in lasagune, and in casseroles.
  • rosiecotton24
    rosiecotton24 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm very picky about my cottage cheese. It has to be Dean's lowfat small curd (the dark blue container)! I've told my husband that I don't know how many times and he got the lighter blue container the other day (it's a higher fat one). :sad:
    It has a little bit of a different consistency and the taste is just a tad bit different. I like it a little bit dryer, not too creamy.
    I eat it plain. I don't like anything on it. I also eat it for breakfast, along with some fruit (not mixed with it though!).
    I also like eating it on baked potatoes.
  • JennsRAQ
    JennsRAQ Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I like mine with a can of tropical fruits... I also like to put a big dollop of it in my smoothies.... and I use it in pasta dishes sometimes like lasagna or creamy spaghetti skillet.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I used to not like cottage cheese either, but for me, it was mainly the texture as opposed to the taste that turned me off to it. A friend of mine told me to try it with peanut butter (natural, if possible) and granola (Nature Valley is really good!). Delicious, very filling, but not bad for you - exactly what you want from a meal! Makes me want to start eating it for breakfast again.... yum...
    I use it in a protein drink called Cake Batter Protein Shake:

1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    3-5 drops almond extract
    1 tbls vanilla sugar free instant pudding mix or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (I prefer extract)
    3-5 Stevia packets
    1/2 - 1 cup water
    5-10 ice cubes
    Optional: 1/2 tsp xanthan gum

Put all in blender and blend until creamy. May top with sprinkles.

That sounds delicious, I'm going to have to try it sometime soon! Off hand do you happen to have the nutrition stats for it (or do you have an entry for it in the database)?

Sorry for not including the nutritional stats.

Calories- 187
    Fat- 2 grams
    Carbs- 5 grams
    Sugar- 3 grams
    Protein- 35 grams
  • strawberrygashes
    strawberrygashes Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am fortunate as I love plain cottage cheese, as long as it is fairly thick. I get mine from Lidl/Aldi here in the Uk... pic frisch brand. I love it on baked sweet potatoes, the flavours seem to work so well together. I also put it on top of veggie burgers and even sometimes have it with my salmon on the side. I know some people make a sort of dessert with it by adding cocoa powder and a little stevia or splenda too.

I am going to aldi today, so I will look for that brand, thank you!!

I bought some from Tesco, I thought it was the full fat, when I scanned it it came up as low fat. I mixed in some honey and had it on wholemeal toast with sliced banana and it was surprisingly nice. But the texture could have been thicker - so I will try the brand from aldi :)
  • Sityak
    Sityak Posts: 2
    Options
    Cottage Cheese is great for extra protein.
    To make it real tasty why not make Hungarian Korozott from it. There are few recipes around the web in English but basically you can make your own version. Leave the butter out really no need for it. try this:

Korozott

1x Sainsbury's Be Good To Yourself cottage cheese (300g)
    2-4 table spoon of Be Good To Yourself Quark ( also an excellent option for extra protein, i use it as sour cream substitute)
    1 tea spoon of mustard (can put more and any kind really, but I wouldn't use strong English mustard into this)
    1/4 cup finely chopped onion ( can use spring onion chopping also the green bits as it's tasty and looks good in the mixture)
    1 teaspoon (a pinch) of cumin seeds. try to chop them into a powder (optional)
    2-3 teaspoons of paprika (preferred some nice sweet Hungarian paprika powder)

Mix it all well together and use it as a spread on Ryvita or Rice Cakes. Lasts for days in the fridge.
    Once ready you can change it to your taste more onion, less quark, less mustard, no cumin seed next time...
    It is Yummy I promise!
  • Jaxper
    Jaxper Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sorry for not including the nutritional stats.

Calories- 187
    Fat- 2 grams
    Carbs- 5 grams
    Sugar- 3 grams
    Protein- 35 grams
    Thanks!
  • Yennydayerman
    Options
    Hi, Cooks Ilustrated makes a dip which includes cottage cheese, they cut it with sourcream, but I suspect you do not have to, or maybe add just a bit of sourcream. The thing is, for 1 cup of cottage cheese, they put it in a food processor, maybe a blender would work, and while it is running add 1/4c boiling water. The end result looks like very white sourcream, and I simple add a dip packet, although they would frown on that!!
  • missdabby
    missdabby Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Daisy 2% cottage cheese mixed with Tuna...salt and pepper...Delish
  • sammi674
    sammi674 Posts: 41
    Options
    I love it. It's really hard to describe the taste. It reminds me of milk. I just sprinkle a little pepper on mine. I don't like the flavored stuff like pineapple, those taste gross to me. It might be good with fresh fruit though. I like the Kroger brand- small curd and full fat. I never miss potatoes or rice if I have cottage cheese instead!
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I put 1/4 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1tsp choccie chips, 1tsp almonds, and sometimes 1tsp of chia seeds and/or half a banana into 200g. Adds chocolate flavour and crunchy texture. Berries of any sort are also yummy (I always add almonds too) I find keeps me full most of the morning.

This morning I added 200g to my smoothie and whizzed it up.

Aside from lasagna, I prefer it my cottage cheese sweet rather than savoury.