What is the WORST fitness advice....

Options

Replies

• mshopey
    mshopey Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I met a girl yesterday, and i told her i was lifting weights.
    And she says "why, that makes you weigh more, and you'll look bigger than you do now"
    She wouldn't understand when i told her having more muscles burns more calories.
    And i'm trying to tone cause i have flabby arms,
    Needless to say, she was bigger than me anyways.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    "Real women lift heavy."
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Don't eat anything after 6pm.
    I also get told a lot I shouldn't start strength training and should stick to my cardio as I will bulk up... apparently the stick look is what I want to achieve!
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    try weight watchers,
    slim fast
    nutrisystem

these did NOT work for me at all
    (but I wont bash you if you use these methods they may work for you)

These may work for awhile but most people gain back and gain back even more once they stop these plans. Just sayin'.... I would have to say the not eating after 6pm thing....I have lost over 80 lbs. and I eat supper at 8 or 9pm almost every night and I drink beer some nights too. I am proof that it can be done! :)
  • mountaingirl2207
    Options
    The only way to lose weight is to stop eating.
  • diamier
    diamier Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    When I was a young teenager, all mainstream shows and other entertainment sources said that the only way to become slim and beautiful - to go on a strict diet. Thank God that I wasn't that determined...
  • bigbearms
    bigbearms Posts: 11
    Options
    I've been told all of these things. The "don't eat carbs" one actually has had a HUGE hold on me and have had a difficult time shaking that off.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Eat less!
    More cardio!

My problem is food allergies and metabolism issues. I could hardly eat less, and exercizing more did make me more fit, but never made me lose a gram. Not until I managed to sort through all the food issues (a very slow and complicated process) and found a balanced work-out that kept me from aggravating a tendency towards inflammations (the list of stress-related injuries due to weight-loss attempts over the years are endless) and got surgery to remove some of the problems and got my metabolism balanced and hit an age-related hormonal bump that boosted my metabolism could I lose weight to the point that I actually hit a normal BMI.

I hurt myself so much over those years, and I hurt my self-confidence most of all. Weight-loss can be very simple, but it can also be very complicated, demanding alternative, difficult solutions to what looks like an obvious problem.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    You're too big to run.
  • bnorris2013
    bnorris2013 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    "All you have to do to lose weight is give up soda and stop eating after 6 pm."

If it were that easy, wouldn't we all be so stoked!

well if you're drinking a LOT of soda it can make a huge difference. A friend of mine lost 80 pounds and all she did was change out Pepsi for water. She was drinking a ton of the stuff though.

I think stopping eating at a certain time is BS though.

I drank alot of soda 12-18 cans a day and when I quit drinking soda I did not drop any weight at all

And for me personally if I eat 1400 calories in the early evening I will lose more weight then I will eating 1400 calories at the say 9 pm at night

I couldn't do those damned Jillian Michaels jumping jacks. I opted for jogging in place, instead. Jillian seems to think everyone has joints of steel.

I jog in place but continue to move my arms as if i was doing a jumping jack

I went to a food revolution day and there were all sorts of people there including several vegans the first one was understanding that vegan life is not the life for everyone however the next lady I came across when I told her I loved my meat to much to give it up you woulda thought I was eating her first born child she was mad about it
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    There is a magical workout that will help you lengthen muscles and sculpt a dancer's body! Only requires 3lb dumbbells and is available on DVD!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Just got into it - like not even 10 minutes ago - with a friend on FB, who insists that the calorie counting is bull**** and the only way to lose weight is to cut out all sugar. I've got proof that it doesn't have to roll like that, yo.

There's some book that came out that says sugar is the devil. People that read it turn into anti-sugar zealots.
  • Craig_hyde
    Craig_hyde Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Eat only celery, it's negative calories. Oh, and work out at least 4 hours a day.
  • lilcutemonkees
    lilcutemonkees Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    "You don't need to count calories, you barely eat anything" - Given by my sister.....counting calories has helped me eat more and actually lose at a faster rate! I used to eat mayve 1000 calories a day. Now on 1600 and I'm losing about half a lb a week. I was restrictive on my calories and barely ate any fats as I was always told they were bad for you!!!
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    that you should have a rest day.

This... You need adequate sleep but no rest day required...
  • dietcokeg
    dietcokeg Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    1. Don't lift unless you want to look like a man

2. when you're working out you should actually eat less and not eat back exercise calories or the calories you burned are usless

I hate stupid people
  • cargilb
    cargilb Posts: 116
    Options
    Eat more to lose more.

I agree. This about the worst advice I have heard.
  • cupcakes_and_cardio
    cupcakes_and_cardio Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I was always told to diet, diet, diet, diet and you'll lose weight...as in "diet" they meant to starve myself.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    That I have to run to lose weight
    That I should be on a diet that's far more restrictive
    Not to eat before going bed, no matter how hungry I am, because it'll all turn to fat
    That I should be 125 pounds
    That focusing on body weight training won't help me change my body
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    There is a magical workout that will help you lengthen muscles and sculpt a dancer's body! Only requires 3lb dumbbells and is available on DVD!

I feel bad for people who actually believe this. I love a good barre workout but there is no magical workout and doing barre workouts alone, even 6 days a week, won't give you a dancer's body but they can be a helpful form of body weight training.