*sorry boys* - PMS help!

Options
2»

Replies

• timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same issue. for 2-3 days before, and the day the flood gates open, I feel *ravenous*--like i'm literally starving to death, no matter how much i eat.

What helps me is sticking Hoodia patches all over my freakin body throughout the day (first 1, then a few hours later a second one somewhere else, etc). And staying away from food (a hike in the woods!!!!) if at all possible.
  • careyann19
    careyann19 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I definitely need to get outside more! That's a great idea.
  • timberowl
    Options
    I also run a lot during those days, even though it's the last thing I feel like doing. Three benefits:

1) I'm out of the house and away from the pantry for an extended period of time. This is less time for me to snack.

2) It earns extra calories for all the extra snacking I'm doing.

3) The endorphins make you feel happy, and less likely to manifest your emotions into eating.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    It's not just you. You are more likely to be hungry when you are ovulating (about day 14 in a 28 day cycle). Also, water retention, constipation, and hormonal fluctuation can make the scale go crazy. Drink lots of water, get a lot of protein and fiber, and know what your maintenance number is. Mine is 1960. I usually eat 1260. If I go over 1260 because I am starving, I just make to keep it under 1900. You won't actually gain weight if you aren't going over your maintenance number.
  • wcugirl04
    wcugirl04 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    EVERY month, I too experience this... The week before I get grumpy and I crave all things that are not good for me!! I just try to up my workouts to kind of balance it out, but then I'm more tired also..so even though I try to keep working out, I really have to push myself, because to be honest, I just don't really feel like it...if I don't do my best, I try not to dwell on it, I just get back into the swing as soon as possible. I've found that about a week after its over, I tend to drop weight, so that helps me stay motivated. It's hard!
  • helenme28
    helenme28 Posts: 18
    Options
    I suffer from cramps about 1/2 way through the month which are really bad but then the actual week isn't too bad. but I always end up eating pasta and cheese. Nothing fancy like a pasta bake, just cooked pasta with grated cheese on top. It's my ultimate comfort food (If I can force myself to stay away from McDonalds that is)

I is very natural for women to feel hungrier slightly before or during their 'week'. You have to remember that your body is preparing for carrying a baby, whether you want it to or not, and that take a lot of work! I know I'm new here and I've only just begun my journey but I would say do what your body is telling you to. If you are hungry then eat something more, MFP doesn't know you are going through your 'time of the month' and your body will be diverting resources to that aforementioned potential baby.
  • rose_gian
    rose_gian Posts: 43
    Options
    If you read my message, I was asking for advice OR commiseration. I did not ask for a miracle. Just some support and extra ideas. You seem to be trying to argue at this point and I'm not sure why, but chill. I don't think this is a topic you need to take a lot of stock in anyway.

You are being overly sensitive. Reread what I wrote, there is no arguing.

Also, this exact topic is posted multiple times per day. You may find commiseration in the others that were posted in the last hour if you take a loo, around.

Learn to let things go dude. Just saying.
  • timberowl
    Options
    If you read my message, I was asking for advice OR commiseration. I did not ask for a miracle. Just some support and extra ideas. You seem to be trying to argue at this point and I'm not sure why, but chill. I don't think this is a topic you need to take a lot of stock in anyway.

Also, this exact topic is posted multiple times per day. You may find commiseration in the others that were posted in the last hour if you take a loo, around.

Good luck getting someone self righteous enough to think they know what a woman is going through hormonally, when they could never even begin to comprehend the discomfort or emotional impact, to "let something go".
  • rose_gian
    Options

Good luck getting someone self righteous enough to think they know what a woman is going through hormonally, when they could never even begin to comprehend the discomfort or emotional impact, to "let something go".

When I said "let it go" I was referring to the guy. He continued to follow up on his previous comments.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

I am sorry that you feel that no one can understand you. I feel the same way being smart.
  • rose_gian
    Options
    Hello, I just posted a similar question. Here are the things I learned from all the wonderful comments I got.

1) you burn extra calories a week before your period, therefore more you'll be extra hungry a week before.
    2) Mind over matter
    3) other women gain weight on their period, it;s normal.
    4) take a picture of yourself before and after bloating, there'll be a noticeable difference.
    5) snack all day within macros nutrients to stay full (protein and fat)
    6) 100 calorie snacks for chocolate.
    7) up the intake for iron to stay full. (and I suggest b12).