How to deal with mean comments?

Options
This week has been really tough for me. Im exercising and eating healthy but no weight has come off. But There are still so many people like my "friends" and family who are very snarky to me. I am trying to change my body but I still get called fat and other mean things about my weight. It really is discouraging and hurts. Has this happened to anyone before? How do you deal with it. I feel like I wanna give up.

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Stick with the plan and beat them.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Please ignore all the mean comments.

If a human being is mean to you, it means they do not care about you.

Return the compliment by ignore them and their comments.

Keep yourself in the path to a healthier lifestyle.

I wish you luck in your journey.
  • Alicia_P_28
    Alicia_P_28 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    REAL friends won't make fun of you when you're trying to change your life! My friends and I are very sarcastic and borderline mean to each other but we're really kidding and love each other to death..but we'd NEVER joke about something so sensitive or serious...There's gotta be a line drawn with the jokes..
    I would talk to your family and friends and tell them how it makes you feel and how serious you really are about this..if they don't want to cut you some slack then cut them off...I know it's tough love, but being around those people who are making you feel bad isn't healthy...just my opinion here...
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    The only power these sorts of comments have is the power you give them.

Just keep your focus on your goals and let the rest be like water off a duck.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Realise that their mean comments say more about them as a person than they say about you.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Your family calls you fat??? Wtf?

Tell them they're no cream puff themself.

Also, think of one of their faults. For example, "you'll have to excuse me if I don't take insults from someone who [insert fault here] too personally."

Or, calmly raise your eyebrows and say "well, I feel like a worthless piece of @#$#@# now. You can go ahead and check that block for the day. What's next on the agenda?"
  • Jade_105
    Jade_105 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    eff em! get skinny and flaunt it in their face
    besides people seem to always act like this to someone trying to better themselves... they are just trying to make themselves feel better about not doing anything to improve themselves
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Stick with the plan and beat them.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Um Its only been a week? :huh:
    Relax.
    Jealousy from others is bound to happen.
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    Don't let their criticism get to you. Take all of that hurt, and do something positive with it. I would take this as an opportunity to prove all of them wrong by showing them what a healthy lifestyle can do. Stick in there, you can do it! :)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Friends don't insult you. Family that insult you aren't worth your time or respect.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Turn this into a positive thing for yourself to help you reach your goals. Easier said than done, I know, but think of how good it will feel to beat them at their game. It will really stick in their craw watching you reach your goals.
  • jrniven
    jrniven Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Educate them. Explain how much this has improved your life, and why it is good for you. If that doesn't work... Well there is no sense being around toxic people.
  • summercake
    summercake Posts: 19
    Options
    eff em! get skinny and flaunt it in their face
    besides people seem to always act like this to someone trying to better themselves... they are just trying to make themselves feel better about not doing anything to improve themselves
  • tigers2747
    tigers2747 Posts: 6
    Options
    IMO if they make rude comments about you than they arent true friends. Since some are family you cant really leave them so you have to ignore them, but first sit down and talk to them and bring up their rude remarks. Tell them it upsets you and you find them rude. Tell them that you need them as inspiration and support and they arent doing that if they make fun of you. make sure they understand that they should be a rock that supports not a rock that brings you down. if they dont stop with their rude remarks then do your best to ignore them and use them as motivation. if your about to give up on an exercise/diet use them to motivate you and prove them wrong. trust me nothing feels better then when you prove someone wrong. they obviously dont understand what you are going through but we do so if you are feeling discouraged or down get on here because there are plenty of people on this site that know how hard it is to lose weight and they will support you 100%. feel free to add me if you would like to.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    wait, these people are supposed to be your friends and they are saying mean things to you?!?

oh hell no, there's no way you should ignore that. those people should be the main ones you can trust to be on your side.

personally, i'd tell those b*tches to kiss my fat *kitten* and go drink a cup of bleach because they've voted off the friendship island.

as for family, i'd mean comment right back at them.. people tend to stop saying mean stuff to you when you remind them about how their spouse is cheating, how they can't keep a job, how they just lost their house, how they're losing their hair, etc. i'd rather be evil :devil: than a doormat :wink:

don;t be afraid to let go of the crappy negative people in your life. when you do it frees up space for you to have good quality folks come in :smile:
  • SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    REAL friends won't make fun of you when you're trying to change your life!

This.

Just ignore and concentrate on your weight loss. You owe that to your body after all that hard work! Wish you luck
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Well, there are times when I join in and laugh at myself (Asian culture, everybody makes fun of each other)

There are times when I turn on them and make fun of them.

But the most fun is when I know its somebody who doesn't mean jack to me and I get to tell them to go "pleasure" themselve
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Mean comments usually are made to get a reaction out of you. No reaction, then comments usually stop. Lol, the shoulder shrug usually works well. Then as you lose weight, you start smiling more as you do them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • summercake
    summercake Posts: 19
    Options
    wow thanks everyone. I feel better. Just needed to know that Im not alone in this. And im certainly going to kick these mean people out of my life If they dont stop.
    I mean its just gone too far. Last year on my birthday one of my real friends bought me a cake and we were all at my house getting ready to celebrate. So my other "friend" comes up to me and sees me holding the cake I was given. She looks me up and down and told me "Really? I see you still haven't had enough."
    I cried in my room that day. On my birthday. Now I see that its not okay for me to be treated like trash because of my weight. So thanks everyone for the support. I wish you all were my family.