Taking a day off

Options
2»

Replies

• Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I have logged every day for ten months, and I love the awareness it has given me. That doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed the holidays and my birthday, because I have! Just do what you feel works best for you.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a big deal not to log a day now and then, but I always account for it. If you are in this for the long run, you will not be perfect every day, and that's how life works. For Easter at my relatives house, I didn't bother logging everything I ate because how the heck do I know how many calories are in the sweet potatoes my aunt made, or the lasagna my sister made, dips, etc. I just did a quick add of 1500 calories for the meal (I pigged out) and worked it into my overall plan for the week.
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    There are no days off losing/maintaining weight and keeping fit is a way of living. So eating more on one day is just part of life, enjoy and then get back on track.
  • janejaneyjane
    Options
    I have days off, I still log it though, mainly so if im tempted again that week i can remind myself to try and be good :)
  • YourLotusFlower11
    YourLotusFlower11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I eat at maintenance i.e today and for a special occasion I will allow another 500 on top .. It's wise to save up a few calories everyday before the event. Don't be too strict or u wont be able to sustain it. Definitely try and log what you can and be accountable for it it will also help u adjust ur calories and activity level for the week.

Take care xx
  • marygoodnight007
    Options
    If it makes you feel better you could write a couple things down just for your own curiosity to see how much over you go. You might find after being mindful of portions that even your "splurge" day is reasonable. When I go out to eat I find that I eat half a portion get a box and ask for my sauces on the side. My "splurges" have gotten a lot less impressive then they were before I was being mindful.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    There are no days off losing/maintaining weight and keeping fit is a way of living. So eating more on one day is just part of life, enjoy and then get back on track.

Exactly!!
  • likethe309
    likethe309 Posts: 26
    Options
    Personally, I log every day, even those days that will be oh so calorie filled. Its a habit for me-the app on my phone makes it easy for me. I try not to freak if I have one terrible day every so often.

But I say enjoy your day off and have fun!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    One day of overeating and enjoyment will not make you fat or derail your goals any more than one day of eating healthy and staying under your calorie goal will make you skinny.

It is a cumulative thing, and one day is fairly insignificant in the course of several months.

The danger lies in doing it too often, or finding that you can't easily get back on track so your one day turns into a week or a month.
  • samanthawardle31
    samanthawardle31 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I will live with one blank day in my diary but get right back into it, I think my not overindulging has become a habit so my day off wont be horrendous and undo my good work so far. I am going to have a really good day :)
  • goldied01
    goldied01 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have days (and occasionally weekends) where I go over on calories, don't work out, etc. Since January I still have not had a week that I have gained. Life happens, and you have to enjoy it!

This. I agree wholeheartedly.:drinker:
  • ndegwa
    ndegwa Posts: 169
    Options
    whether it be weight loss, job, hobby etc... every one takes a day off! you just start again the next day, simple.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Once a week. I don't go nuts. And usually eat right around maintenance probably. But it is a good mental break.
  • genofreek
    genofreek Posts: 75
    Options
    Even if you eat thousands of calories over your goal, it's just going to be for this one special day. It's a celebration, enjoy yourself! You know you're not going to throw all your progress out the window in 24 hours, so treat yourself and don't feel bad.

And have a good time at the wedding!
  • samanthawardle31
    samanthawardle31 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thank you genofreek! Very excited. Its on Saturday and it will be fab :)
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I will live with one blank day in my diary but get right back into it, I think my not overindulging has become a habit so my day off wont be horrendous and undo my good work so far. I am going to have a really good day :)

Hell, if it makes you feel better, knock 100 calories off your intake (or add an extra few minutes of exercise) for the next few days.

Like others said, it's a cumulative thing. As long as you "net" the right amount of calories over the long haul, you will lose weight. Go over one day? fine, go "under" just a little bit over the next few days. Just a little bit. Not enough to make you starve, or enough exercise to wear you out... just enough to soften the "guilt."

Personally, I would indulge, but still log. I'm a little AR like that, though!

Enjoy the day!!