Can't seem to meet my protein goals...

Options
I'm having the most impossible time reaching my protein goals!

I wasn't so worried about it before, but I've starting spending a lot more time doing weights, and lifting much heavier than I used to, and Im doing a lot less cardio. I'm concerned I'm not getting enough protein to feed my muscles and that it's slowing down any fat loss I could be having...

I'm not a big meat eater and I'm a terrible cook. Does anyone know of some easy ways of increasing my protein intake without having to cook and eat an entire cow :ohwell: ?

Replies

• scoutfinchie
    scoutfinchie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Have you tried: whey protein powder, eggs, nonfat greek yogurt, almonds, veggie burger patties?
  • AnnaMarieDinVa
    AnnaMarieDinVa Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm a busy vegetarian. I have one word for you: soy. I like tofu, dry roasted edamame, edamame in salads...delicious and great protein... Good luck!! :smile:
  • cmartimo
    cmartimo Posts: 1
    Options
    Definitely whey protein powder and a blender. I really like Tera's Whey Protein http://www.teraswhey.com/ because it's organic and grass fed. You add some fruit and ice in a blender and it's really awesome!
  • janessanessa
    janessanessa Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian, and I struggle with this too. I try and eat a serving or two of fat free Greek Yogurt each day, I have a little peanut butter on a half a pita at lunch most days, whey protein shakes made with water after heavy workouts.....I have a hard time getting enough too, but I get 2/3 most days just by doing this. Edamame, need to try. Dry roasted sounds like how I would like it. Where can I find it?
  • AnnaMarieDinVa
    Options
    I find dry roasted edamame in the health foods sections of my local grocery story (Food Lion). It is $1.99 per bag and they have several flavors. I like it just as a snack, but I bet it would be awesome on a salad, too.
  • AnnaMarieDinVa
    Options
    I like Silk or Trader Joe's Soy Milk, too. :)
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Plenty of low carb protein powders on the market, Sprout's has whey based, non-dairy legume based, etc. try one you like and get started. good luck
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Whey powder is a spectacularly efficient way of getting high quality protein, especially compared to most of the non-meat options.
    I had trouble hitting my goals too without supplementation even eating meat 2 out of 3 meals most days.

[edit] Oh if you decide to try Whey powder. Buy a Blender Bottle. It's hard to mix thoroughly with a spoon. It makes a huge difference [/edit]

My main sources, in no particular order are: Chicken, whey powder, milk, greek yogurt.

There are some beans that are pretty high in protein too. Chickpeas and black beans in particular IIRC.
  • sewingdiscontent
    Options
    Having the same issue. I love steamed edamame, so I've been trying to eat that, but I also am going to start eating egg whites, I think. I want the protein without the calories. Now I just have to figure out how to make them not taste gross, without adding a yolk?
  • kts3639
    kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Tuna is a big one. Super easy to prepare and packs a lot of protein in a small amount (not a lot of calories either). Greek yogurt, cheese, protein bars, and eggs/egg whites are all easy and have a good amount of protein in them.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    120g P per day. 120 / Total amount of meals. Include some in each meal.

Meat is the most satiating protein source IMO.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I like the advantEdge protein shakes.
  • wildflwwinger
    Options
    1 c. plain, 0% fat Greek yogurt has 130 cal, 9 g. carb, and 23 g. protein. I like Fage brand. It is a great substitute for sour cream
    and can be added to smoothies and a million other things (search recipes on line)

I add 'Optimum Nutrition 100% egg white protein powder' to smoothies.29 servings/ container (per serving: 24 g. protein, 110 cal. 0.5g. fat, 2 g. carb,) I use almond milk (unsweetened vanilla flavor- 30 cal/cup) ice cubes, greek yogurt (or cottage cheese if you like it milder) stevia sweetener and either frozen fruit or 1 Tbsp. of sugar free instant pudding mix (25-35 cal). put in blender (or you can shake it)

I got it from Amazon.com
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Egg Protein, Delicious Vanilla Custard, 2 Pound (also available in chocolate)
    Sold by Amazon.com LLC

Price: $34.99 ($1.09 / oz) & FREE super saver Shipping.
    (List Price: $49.45)
    You Save: $14.46 (29%)
    contains egg albumen (powdered egg whites), artificial flavor, lecithin, sucralose, aminogen (this companies patented added amino acids to make a complete protein), acesulfame potassium
  • kstej
    kstej Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I do a Greek yogurt, whey protein powder, milk and strawberries and or banana smoothie everyday. It has about 40 grams of protein and is really filling!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Having the same issue. I love steamed edamame, so I've been trying to eat that, but I also am going to start eating egg whites, I think. I want the protein without the calories. Now I just have to figure out how to make them not taste gross, without adding a yolk?

The only way I can eat eggs is to fill them full of veggies and enough garlic powder and black/cayenne pepper to choke a horse. They don't taste like eggs anymore, but I can't stand the eggy flavor.
  • Emisole
    Emisole Posts: 65
    Options
    I used to carry around these little packages of deli meat. They had probably three or four slices in them (enough for just one sandwich) and I'd just eat those alone. I know it sounds weird, but it was super easy protein, they were tasty and they were pretty low-cal.
  • liznsmith
    liznsmith Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Check out my food diary, my protein is typically over what I should have.
    I eat couscous, quinoa, kale, almonds, drink soy milk, drink a whey protein shake prior to working out and before I go to bed... when you sleep your body breaks down muscle
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I drink either a pre made protein shake (30g) or a homemade protein smoothie (48g) every morning for breakfast. Easy way to get almost half my protein in just one meal. ~
  • liznsmith
    liznsmith Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I used to carry around these little packages of deli meat. They had probably three or four slices in them (enough for just one sandwich) and I'd just eat those alone. I know it sounds weird, but it was super easy protein, they were tasty and they were pretty low-cal.

OMG not to sound preachy but DON'T eat packaged sandwich meat. It is VERY high in sodium and low in actual nutrients
  • astrovivi
    astrovivi Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Fish, legumes, nuts, dairy, whole eggs, egg whites
    even oats and quinoa have protein.

don't go crazy over soy. too much is probably not a great idea but fermented soy or whole soy (edaname, some tofu etc) is good.