George Forman

Options
frecks
frecks Posts: 20 Member
Hi guys, ive just bought myself a george forman health grill and cant wait to use it! Does anyone have any good recipies to do on it?? x

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I have one of the original Foreman's. It's very versatile! You can fix burgers, paninis, grilled cheese, etc. Your imagination is the limit :)
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I love my Foreman because it makes it super easy to cook for one or two and it doesn't heat up the kitchen and I don't have to deal with the time involved when cooking on an outdoor grill. That being said, I don't know much of what to do with my grill besides the obvious.

I cook chicken on it a lot. I really like making burgers on it because I can use super-lean ground beef and not worry about the meat drying out. I also don't need binders (like eggs) in the burgers because everything stays together really well. Of course anything else you'd cook on a grill can be cooked on the Foreman as well; I like the ease of cooking hot dogs or sausages on it.

I make grilled cheese on it sometimes, to avoid the butter when cooking in a pan.

I do make a "calzone" on it sometimes. Take a pita, cut it in half, stuff with cheese, pizza or spaghetti sauce, and whatever toppings you'd like. Then just stick it in the Foreman with the open side facing up so the cheese doesn't melt down and out.

I had a friend who liked to cook bacon on his Foreman. It drains all that fat off the bacon, crisps it, and you don't have all the splatter you can get with cooking it stove-top.

I think that's the extent of my Foreman knowledge... I heard from somewhere you could make scrambled beef (like for spaghetti or anything where you need to "brown the hamburger") but I don't know how you go about that without making one giant hamburger patty (lol). But that'd be worth looking into.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    i do chicken and pork steak i stay away from doing beef steak dries it out hambugar is good and you put what ever spice that you like on it
  • frecks
    frecks Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmm all those ideas are good. i can wait to use it! thanks guys x
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    My grandmother cooked salmon and tilapia on hers.
  • Raina0512
    Raina0512 Posts: 216
    Options
    I cooked Salmon on mine last week, it was very good! I also cook my chicken and hamburgers on it... :happy:
  • liane72uk
    Options
    I love mine for cooking meat from frozen too. It is so easy and just the same as fresh. Really good when you haven't pulled the meat out of the fridge the night before!
  • JensLogin
    Options
    I too just got a Foreman grill about a week ago. I've used it twice and LOVE it! So far, I've grilled some vegetables on it (zuchinni, yellow squash and asparagus), as well as chicken and talapia. All of it turned out perfectly and it cooked so quickly. I could see myself cooking many, many more items on this grill. Tomorrow night I'll give turkey burgers a try.....can't wait. Did I say I LOVE this grill?

Enjoy!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I got the George Foreman grill as a birthday gift a couple of years ago. At first I had no idea if I'd even use it that much, but it turns out that this is seriously one of the best presents I've ever gotten! I even cook veggies in it, asparagus in particular. Have fun with it!!
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Just tried mine last night for the first time - hamburgers, turned out great - can't wait to try veggies! Great ideas!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I love mine for grilling chicken (just sprinkle with some Mrs. Dash, seasoned salt or garlic salt and it is great!) and for making hamburgers or turkey burgers.

I also use for grilling vegetables. My grill is older too so sometimes I spray with a bit of cooking spray to cook the veggies. Last night I grilled onions and peppers to go with chicken. We've tried zucchini and summer squash as well.

I was really thankful for it last night because it made dinner so easy -- I just threw some chicken on, let it grill while I was chopping vegetables, then took the chicken out to finish cooking in the skillet I was sauteeing some mushrooms in while I grilled the other vegetables. It took about 15 minutes for all to be ready and it was SO good!

I hadn't thought about doing fish... I need to try that next!
  • chiklit
    chiklit Posts: 2
    Options
    when using the forman for panninis, try using parchment paper......keeps the grill clean and clean up a snap!
  • jenniferduffy
    Options
    Hi All

I swear by George, i've been using him for years now and I cook everything from steak to chicken to fish on it and even potato wedges. One thing i absolutely swear by as a healthy alternative when cooking lasagne, chili both turkey mince and beef mince is that i cook the mince on george first and then add it to the pan that way all of the fat content is gone and it makes for a really light tasty meal.
  • judswi
    judswi Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    potato wedges sounds yummy
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    I love my George Foreman because it is so quick. I love to cook shrimp on it. Only takes minutes. I also make turkey burgers on it. That is a great idea to use parchment paper to avoid a mess. Thanks for sharing that.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    Hi All

I swear by George, i've been using him for years now and I cook everything from steak to chicken to fish on it and even potato wedges. One thing i absolutely swear by as a healthy alternative when cooking lasagne, chili both turkey mince and beef mince is that i cook the mince on george first and then add it to the pan that way all of the fat content is gone and it makes for a really light tasty meal.

Ah-ha! I have a question for you! :bigsmile:

When you grill up that beef mince, how do you handle it so that it doesn't just turn into one giant burger patty? I heard in passing that it's possible, but I don't really know how to go about doing it. Like, what's your rule of thumb for knowing when there's just enough mince that it will cook well, but spaced out enough that they'll still be in crumbles rather than a patty.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • ssdivot
    ssdivot Posts: 193
    Options
    Wow, I had totally forgotten that I have a clone of a Foreman grill hiding in my cupboards. I never used it for much. I dug it out today after seeing these posts! Whoever mentioned potato wedges, I thank much! I've tried making oven fries several time with unsatisfactory results. Today I cut up a potato, sprinkled some Mrs. Dash on them and laid them in the grill and they came out perfect! Nice and crispy and with no oil, yay! I also cooked a huge chicken breast with a Laughing cow cheese wedge spread inside it and I'm amazed how fast it cooked, and it was very good. This thing has earned a permanent spot on my countertop! Thanks!
  • sexi_new_me
    Options
    my husband introduced me to The George Forman Healthy Cooking Grill..its amazing!!! it drains out sooo much oils and fats i wash out that lil catching tray and im like WOW look what COULD HAVE been in my body..makes you never want fast food again soo fresh and amazing! burgers,grilled sandwhiches,chicken..it does wonders
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Great topic! As a single person, I use my Foreman grill more often than my microwave. Seriously.

I am under doctor's orders: no more potatoes. So I like to fry up bacon super-crispy, and then eat those bacon pieces with dip instead of eating potato chips. You get the salty & crispy without the carbs.

My favorite is asparagus: Cut your spears in half so they'll fit on the grill. Mix up an egg with a tablespoon of parmesan cheese and some black pepper (to taste). Dip each spear in the egg mixture (doesn't have to be completely coated, that's a matter of taste too). Lay them all on the grill & cook for 6 minutes. Wonderful treat!