Cravings.. its killing me

Options

Replies

• kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you need to work that craving into your day in a healthy way. I made a smoothie that had 2T of cocoa powder in it. It was so good that I thought my smoothie wasn't healthy. I ran it by my trainer when she was kicking my butt this morning and she said it sounded great.

1 banana
    1 handful of baby kale
    3/4 cup almond milk
    2 T Valrhona Cocoa powder
    2 T PB2
    2 T whey protein powder
    1/2 tsp bee pollen
    1 tsp Barlean's orange fish oil

Whirl and craving averted.

I thought I might have to sweeten it, but the over ripe banana and whey powder and Barlean's fish oil must have been sweet enough.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is good for you in many ways (antioxidants, trace minerals and vitamins and more). Try eating small amounts of high quality chocolates. The other ingredients that are mixed with chocolate are usually the problem (fats, hydrogenated oil...). However, if you really don't want to eat chocolate for some reason, thirst is associated with chocolate cravings, and as someone else mentioned, nuts sometimes help or things like chocolate-flavored tea.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/cravings-282817
  • richiefixo
    richiefixo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    firstly, if you crave anything never deprive yourself. Just always remember that there is always lower calorie substitute. Personally if im cravin chocolate, i usually get fat free yoghurt and buy unsweetened cocoa powder. one table spoon of that chocolate dust to the sweet yoghurt mix it thorougly and you have chocolate moose!!!.....even if you ate 2 cups of our newly devised "chocolate moose" you will still be under 300 calories! and you will be full and wont want to see anything chocolatey for weeks! ....2 cups of chocolate flavoured anything will do that to you ;).

Goodluck!! :)
  • rose_gian
    rose_gian Posts: 43
    Options
    I remember a long time ago I had a chocolate craving and I had an apple intstead and the craving went away. I ate the apple because I heard that there is something inside fruit that is also inside chocolate and it is the same thing you are craving. Sorry I can't be more specific. Also 100 calorie snacks? You might want to try that. Or eat a chocolate bar slowly and take time chewing it, then exercise to add the calories to your daily goal
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    * http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-chocolate/AN02060
    * http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20030827/dark-chocolate-is-healthy-chocolate
    * http://www.womenshealthmag.com/health/benefits-of-chocolate
    From this last link, "Researchers from the University of Copenhagen found that dark chocolate is far more filling, ... dark chocolate lessens cravings for sweet, salty, and fatty foods. ... it should make it easier for you to stick to your diet in general."
  • kate367
    kate367 Posts: 4
    Options
    I just had a snickers bar.. No not a small one, the regular size. It was really good and I feel great, ill be happy for the rest of the day because of it.. it's a good feeling when you don't deprive yourself sometimes. Just eat it in moderation and according to your cals for the day and you should be fine. Enjoy your chocolate! Now that I already enjoyed mine its time to get my butt up for a run!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Emerald Cocoa Roast Almonds. Just a serving or two they are delish.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Have a small amount. Try a peppermint patty. That is what I have when I want a treat only 140 cal or 28 M&M"S=100 cal.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    For me its cheesecake. I've started buying these little bite sized cheesecakes & keeping them in the freezer & I allow myself to have one and log it. it doesn't kill my day and I savor every bite. depriving myself makes for a binge. its better to reward myself on occassion.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is good for you in many ways (antioxidants, trace minerals and vitamins and more). Try eating small amounts of high quality chocolates. The other ingredients that are mixed with chocolate are usually the problem (fats, hydrogenated oil...). However, if you really don't want to eat chocolate for some reason, thirst is associated with chocolate cravings, and as someone else mentioned, nuts sometimes help or things like chocolate-flavored tea.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/cravings-282817

True. Chocolate is one of the very few foods that has been demonstrated to help the body repair damaged mitochondrial DNA. The only problem is the sugar. That is why bittersweet chocolate is better for you than milk chocolate (much less sugar). Try to find dextrose-sweetened bittersweet chocolate (dextrose is the industry name for glucose)--better for you than sucrose-sweetened (which most chocolate is). You can order it online from a European confectioner but it is pricey.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I remember a long time ago I had a chocolate craving and I had an apple intstead and the craving went away. I ate the apple because I heard that there is something inside fruit that is also inside chocolate and it is the same thing you are craving. Sorry I can't be more specific. Also 100 calorie snacks? You might want to try that. Or eat a chocolate bar slowly and take time chewing it, then exercise to add the calories to your daily goal

Apples are a good source of magnesium.
  • StephF3692
    StephF3692 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Eating some chocolate usually works for me. Not chocolate flavoured diet food, just chocolate.

That's what I do. Some organic dark chocolate.

same here. i just get the highest % of chocolate and it quells it quickly. i personally like the endangered species brand -- good stuff; gives me my fix, and i'm helping animals!

also, as others have noted RE: magnesium...i actually haven't craved chocolate since i've started adding spinach and kale to my morning nutriblasts...
  • Fish_Fuzz
    Fish_Fuzz Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You can get gnc chocolate protein shake mix, and I fell in love with the bolthouse farms chocolate goodness shake to be a good substitute giving me both the sweet fix as well as loading me with protein. MMMM

http://bolthouse.com/product/proteinpluschocolate
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    have some hersheys kisses around....not too many calories in a few and maybe that will help! Also jello pudding or yogurt may help as well.......

That wouldn't work for many people as they would just end up eating half the bag. Studies have confirmed what many have suspected---sugar consumption feeds cravings. Sugar is an "anti-nutrient" (meaning that it requires nutrients from the body to process it, and the only nutrient it contains is carbohydrate--no vitamins, no minerals, no phyto-nutrients. :frown:

Perhaps it wouldn't work for *you*, but many people find it an effective way of managing their cravings.

I don't eat sugary foods. But if I did, it would be chocolate. :smile:
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a craving, especially if it is out of the ordinary for you, can be an indication of a defficiency of some kind
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Wow- how fascinating! Thank you to everyone who commented on the magnesium link. As a confirmed chocoholic I shall be doing some further research on this....... x
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it yet, but apparently chia seeds and cocoa powder are supposed to be awesome too.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    So since i have started this i have kicked all craving of soda yay me! But now i want chocolate so bad its not even funny!! What can i do to get rid of the craving!
    The Deprivation Diet usually fails. Unless you're willing to give up everything you like, this is just a temporary fix. I'd reassess on a different lifestyle approach.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    There are people who can eat a small amount of something and be done with it, while others have to finish the whole bag, box, or bar. If you're in the second group, as I am, I would try to find a substitute and make chocolate a very special treat.

It's a matter of being honest with yourself.
  • msagrero08
    msagrero08 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Fiber one--anything with chocolate- does the trick for me! I get a bar and cut it into bite size pieces(maybe m&m sizes) and put it in a ziplock bag, when I get the urge I will have a big drink of water, and if I still have it than I eat one piece, and then water again. I repeat this through out the day. :) works for me.