Paleo question and recommendations

Options
My husband and I have been discussing the possibility of starting to eat more towards Paleo. I wanted to get some tips and suggestions from anyone who does this. What is the most difficult part of it. We have two kids that we will probably try and have them eat the same as us but not as strict. Also, we are trying to build our pantry with some staples that we would be using on a daily basis. I have have heard that is is difficult but I want to give it a try. I have tried way to many things that have worked but not in the long run.

Please any advice and recommendations are greatly appreciated! TIA!

Replies

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    No science to back up this way of eating........not sure why you would do it....

http://www.nsca.com/uploadedFiles/NSCA/Inactive_Content/Program_Books/PTC_2013_Program_Book/Aragon.pdf
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of science to back it up at www.whole9life.com. If you guys want to super kickstart it, you can go for a Whole30, which is explained on that site too. I've done it a few times and feel AMAZING each time.

I feel and look incredible when I eat this way. I feel lethargic and foggy and fat when I don't. The trap, I think, is when you start making "paleo substitutes", like dessert items. Yes, it's paleo to have a cake made of coconut flour or something, but that doesn't make it good for you. What's good for you are whole, real foods with minimal or no processing.

Good luck! I can't recommend this way of eating highly enough! And you don't have to take it too seriously, most paleo folks aim for about 80/20.
  • sorrelduncan
    sorrelduncan Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, not much on the Paleo plan goes in the "pantry", per say. Sounds like it's mostly about fresh veg and lean meats. No dairy, wheat, potatoes or legumes (beans). Google it, there's lots of info out there. I have seen people have great results on it, lowering body fat and increasing muscle. I have personally found it difficult to stick to while feeding my family. But we have cleaned up our diet quite a bit, just learning a little about Paleo. Good luck! Hope you find what works for you!
  • Wetcoaster
    Options
    I will listen to Alan Aragon about it....I dont see any science on www.whole9life.com only someone trying to sell you a book.
  • tcraw15
    tcraw15 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    No science to back up this way of eating........not sure why you would do it....

http://www.nsca.com/uploadedFiles/NSCA/Inactive_Content/Program_Books/PTC_2013_Program_Book/Aragon.pdf

What's there to back up? The diet is based off how our ancestors ate. They didn't have nearly all the foods that we have available to us today. Our bodies weren't built to process all the crap they put in food nowadays. I stick to a mostly Paleo diet. I do eat eggs, and some dairy and beans (every once in a while). It's done wonders for my energy and my body composition.

To the OP, stick to what you can. Eat lean meats and plenty of fruits and veggies. It can get expensive sometimes, if you're trying to purchase organic food. But even if you can't afford organic, at least the generic stuff isn't as bad as processed foods.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i love paleo. people will talk a lot of smack... but just try it for yourself. i can't imagine going back to eating a traditional diet. my joints, my brain, my energy levels, my waist... i have been at it for a year now. there is a primal/paleo group on here that is a lot more welcoming than the general boards.
  • Mainey13
    Mainey13 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I love paleo! I have not had a migraine or stomach issue since eating paleo. I feel geat! Try it
  • robinrsimmons428
    robinrsimmons428 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the info! I am very excited to give it a try. Eating organic and such will be a little to expensive so we are going to try just getting what we can and go from there. I am so tired of eating crap...totally my fault but need a jump start!
  • AMC72
    AMC72 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I understand eating clean and organic being expensive but look at it as an investment. You said 'tired of eating crap'.... look at it as using 'crap' money and applying it to clean foods. Do the best you can. A small change at a time is better than none.
  • robinrsimmons428
    robinrsimmons428 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yes thank you! That makes a lot of sense! :)
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

What's there to back up? The diet is based off how our ancestors ate. They didn't have nearly all the foods that we have available to us today. Our bodies weren't built to process all the crap they put in food nowadays. I stick to a mostly Paleo diet. I do eat eggs, and some dairy and beans (every once in a while). It's done wonders for my energy and my body composition.

To the OP, stick to what you can. Eat lean meats and plenty of fruits and veggies. It can get expensive sometimes, if you're trying to purchase organic food. But even if you can't afford organic, at least the generic stuff isn't as bad as processed foods.

Our ancestors average age was 30.
    10000 years ago? they had pies, breads, and grains.
    Research on skeletons have shown we didnt eat as much meat. We were closer to vegetarian eaters.
    I am pro-meat but I am against the sterotype of reverting back.

Our ancestors did not take medications, vaccines, antibiotics, either. If they sustained an injury, they died. Things are not the same as they were in the past.

I am all for whole foods, but eliminating food groups is always doomed to failure.

btw Its not mostly paleo. That means you generally eat whole foods...
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    As far as science is concerned with things such as the paleo diet. There are some scientific reasons of why it is effective for consuming whole foods. The satiation of non-processed foods is higher than processed. If Person A consumed non processed foods and ate until satisfaction vs Person B consuming processed til satisfaction.

Person A would have consumed overall less calories.

Their rationalizing of the foods that they consume is ridiculous and does not help you lose and weight faster than a diet with a variety in regards to being at the same caloric state.

I advocate a balanced diet. I try to consume quite a bit of my calories from unprocessed foods to help with hunger and then I utilize processed foods that I enjoy. I dont believe in the elimination of dairy and I saw that paleo whey crap. That doesnt make any sense
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider the Slow Carb Diet (SCD) from the 4 Hour Body book. That's what I've used to lose 70 lbs. It's Paleo with slow carbs added in (beans and lentils) but no fruit. And a cheat day.

Why do people feel they need to bash an approach? I don't push SCD, but it is a nice alternative for those looking for something different.
  • Wetcoaster
    Options

This makes no sense....
  • tomcornhole
    Options

This makes no sense....

Why do you care? Do you think you are our savior and if this couple decides to try Paleo that they will rot in hell without your evangelical savior? Post somewhere else.
  • Wetcoaster
    Options
    You may want to consider the Slow Carb Diet (SCD) from the 4 Hour Body book. That's what I've used to lose 70 lbs. It's Paleo with slow carbs added in (beans and lentils) but no fruit. And a cheat day.

Why do people feel they need to bash an approach? I don't push SCD, but it is a nice alternative for those looking for something different.

I deal in reality..........it is the people pushing a certain diet without facts that I do not agree with.
  • Wetcoaster
    Options

This makes no sense....

Why do you care? Do you think you are our savior and if this couple decides to try Paleo that they will rot in hell without your evangelical savior? Post somewhere else.

Why do you care so much about my opinion?
  • tomcornhole
    Options

Why do you care so much about my opinion?

I don't
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

No science backing the Standard American Diet, really....
  • Wetcoaster
    Options

This makes no sense....

I am about as far as evangelical as you can get :)