Boyfriend wants me to gain weight! :(

Options
2»

Replies

• betlic2
    betlic2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think you need to keep it up. And talk to your boyfriend.
  • larlo74
    larlo74 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    He might also be afraid that if you lose the weight, you might leave him. Or that other guys will hit on you. Sounds like he has some insecurity issues.
  • CherylAnn38
    CherylAnn38 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My ex hubby hated when I lost weight. Not because he liked bigger women but because he was jealous and was afraid someone else would want me. He figured if I was heavy he didn't have to worry about that. So maybe your guy is afraid of losing you.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Your body is not a democracy, its your empire, and you are the empress. He needs to stow it.
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Tell him yeah I understand about wanting something bigger and look directly at his crotch and sigh deeply and shake you head in disappointment. If he does have a big wing wang then tell him the same thing but pat him on his head.

best post ever LOL
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    He has admitted to me that he likes bigger women, but I'm not willing to become "fluffier" to be his preference. I was very unhappy overweight, and am starting to feel unhappy at a lower more healthy weight.

im more concerned about how your happiness is dependent on someone else's opinion of you.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    You don't have a full body picture so I don't know what he sees... but there are plenty of women on here weighing less than 100 pounds screaming they need to loose weight! Unless you are one of those women he needs to go find himself a thicker women and let you enjoy the new you!
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    What's important is what YOU want.

This!!!
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Did you meet your boyfriend before your weight loss? If you did perhaps he is jealous. He's thinking that you are losing weight, becoming more attractive and confident and other guys will take notice.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Use the Eddie Murphy line: "You don't own me! I don't see no rings on these fingas!"

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

:laugh:

You could tell him about the increased risks of various diseases for overweight people too.

Cartman1.jpg
  • bonelessskinless
    Options
    It's a normal reaction to feel uneasy about major life changes your significant other is making. If you improve yourself greatly and he stays the same it will be very easy for you to leave him and we are all programmed to know that. Give him chances to improve things (his weight or whatever he feels like he should be doing better) about himself while you work on getting your body to where you feel it needs to be.

You can say things like, "Come workout with me !" or "I feel like having a productive day, wanna join me?" or "If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be?" and encourage him to change the things he wants to change in himself. If you grow together that's awesome!

If you KNOW that you're going to lose the weight and you see he will never change then a breakup may be imminent. If he continues to stifle your efforts to lose weight even after giving him a chance to change his ways you should break up with him sooner rather than later and tell him why.

Just be prepared for him to tell you, "I'll change! I promise!"
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Well this is not a hard one to figure out.

You know why he keeps saying those things to you? Because you're still there. He's done it again and again, and you've told him it bothers you, but he keeps doing it. Your behavior suggests to him (and me) that you don't think you deserve better and that regardless of how badly he treats you, you aren't going anywhere.

Seems pretty clear that he's the kind of guy who has to learn lessons the hard way, so man up and kick his *kitten* to the curb. Then go find some self-respect.
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    My BF is much like yours, and likes the "fluffy" of me, but at my weight I am too unhealthy, but unlike your bf, mine is supporting me in my journey, even offering to run and swim with me(when he hasn't done either in years, but doesn't make a difference because he's skinny as ever)... He just doesn't want me to get too small he's funny and likes a little more cushion "for the pushin". TMI, sorry, but I love that he's willing to help me out and reach my goal... If he was not being supportive and telling me to "eat more' after reaching(almost) goal, I would be upset, an non-supportive partner is not going to cause a successful relationship... I would seriously talk to him-see what his viewpoint REALLY is, because after all - He is supposed to LOVE you for YOU, no matter how skinny or "not fluffy" you have become! and KUDOS on your loss and realising that you are HAPPIER! That's all that matters-for you to be happy! Man or no man!
  • nicolen763
    nicolen763 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Do what makes you happy!

If you were unhappy when you had extra weight then don't gain any! Your only going to make your self miserable.
    Maybe you shouldnt be with him if he makes you feel that way.
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Your body is not a democracy, its your empire, and you are the empress. He needs to stow it.

I FREAKING LOVE THIS!!!
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    My advise......

Tell him it isn't going to change. The next time he says "I wish you would eat more", simply say "Sorry, it's not going to happen".

It's not his call, even if you are married, it isn't his call. This is your body, and you are in charge of it.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    It's entirely possible that this is coming out of insecurity. A lot of times, people get nervous when their significant others start making dramatic improvements to their appearance or life circumstances because it makes them wonder if they are still in their significant other's league. It could be a simple as he's worried about losing you to someone else when you lose weight because you feel like you can do better. If you want this to work, try talking to him. My girlfriend used to be resistant to my losing weight. When I talked to her, it was a combination of not wanting me to feel like I had to lose weight and worrying that I would spiral back to the way I was when we met (borderline anorexic, eating 200-300 calories a day, max, and working out constantly). Once we discussed things, everything got a lot smoother.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    My go to advice as always is dump him. You can take it with a grain of salt or not. I always have one foot out the door and I am always willing to pack a bag mine or theirs.

I have a hunch in this case my go to advice is spot on though. If he has a true preference that is pretty hard wired and it will get worse and he will be looking at bigger women if he isn't already. The fact that he is saying this more and more often is a clue he is losing it. Do whatcha gotta do to leave or get him to leave. I don't know what your lease situation is or if you need someone to pick up half the rent, if you do a room mate for now would be a solution right? Anyway, I don't see it as salvageable since he seems like a control freak and you seem to need support from your partner and he isn't giving it. I don't think wanting or needing support is a bad thing, but if you aren't getting it, it is time to find it elsewhere he isn't giving it ever.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    yes lots wrong with what he is saying. wtf ever. don't stand for it and do not let his comments influence how YOU feel about YOU.
  • chaser1977
    chaser1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    He might also be afraid that if you lose the weight, you might leave him. Or that other guys will hit on you. Sounds like he has some insecurity issues.

This. So much this.