Women weight lifters - where to begin?

Options
I am going to a gym tonight for the first time in years. Are there any regimes online that you can reccommend for someone just starting out that explains step by step the different type of lift names and shows how you should lift???

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Women should start the same place men do. If you're going to a gym, then access to equipment shouldn't be a problem. Read up on free weight routines (strong lifts or starting strength) or machine circuits if you prefer. Consider booking an appointment with a PT or gym staff person to walk you through the equipment and give you pointers on form to get started.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to see the replies you get.

I want to start lifting as well. I'm heading to the bookstore today to look into Starting Strength and The New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • denisek80
    denisek80 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My problem with booking with a PT is that all the instructors are French (I live in France) but my French is really poor. I have googled free weight sessions - they tell you to do a this lift or a that lift but don't explain what these lifts mean
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    My problem with booking with a PT is that all the instructors are French (I live in France) but my French is really poor. I have googled free weight sessions - they tell you to do a this lift or a that lift but don't explain what these lifts mean

Then keep googling. Just because that site doesn't tell you want a squat is doesn't mean there aren't other sites that do.

Youtube Mark Rippetoe... lots of good stuff there on form for the big lifts.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    A great program for women who are new to lifting is 'New Rules of Lifting for Women'. StrongLifts is another great program but better to begin after you have a foundation of lifting and know how to correctly perform the exercises. You can buy the kindle version of $12 (i Noticed you said you live in France) or buy a paperback version. You could also see if you can find a PDF format online (torrent maybe?)

*edit*
    Also feel free to add me for support. I haven't done New Rules but I do lift and can also connect you to a friend who has done both New Rules and StrongLifts
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I started with free weights but got really bored and switched to bodyweight exercises (using Mark Lauren's book/app). Just keep googling, maybe check out some of the books recommended and figure out what type of lifting/strength work makes you happy. The bottom line is to stay safe - so start at a lower weight if that's what it takes to get your form right.
  • kellyetaylorsmith
    kellyetaylorsmith Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I really like bodybuilding.com. Jamie Eason's Live Fit program is great! For each workout, each individual exercise is hyperlinked to a video that will show you how to perform the move. It's fabulous!!!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Agreed on NRoLfW. I read the book out of curiosity. It's a really good book and lays out the workout for you and and shows you all the exercises. Can't go wrong there for beginners. Stronglifts also seems like a great program.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options

I am now doing free weights but when I first started lifting 2 years ago, I went to the gym I chose 2 arm machines, 2 leg ones, 1 ab one. I did all 5 machines each time I went (3 days a week) I did 3 sets of 10 on each machine with just a short (30 second break) between sets. I increased my weights every 4-6 weeks by about 5 lbs.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I really like bodybuilding.com. Jamie Eason's Live Fit program is great! For each workout, each individual exercise is hyperlinked to a video that will show you how to perform the move. It's fabulous!!!

Agreed, I was going to suggest, that. I actually did LiveFit a couple years ago. Everything is layed out for you. Just follow instructions. There were only a couple of exercises I couldn't do, but overall, it was all good.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I started with the LiveFit Trainer. It is a 12 week program that talks about nutrition and has videos on how to do each lift. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html
  • denisek80
    Options
    Thanks all - I think I'll start out on machines and then check out the books recommended for free weights
  • MzNeecie
    MzNeecie Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Not sure if your gym offers classes but mine does. I take a body works plus abs class and the instructor shows us proper form and different exercises to work various muscle groups. I prefer it to doing weights alone. Plus we also get in the dreaded core workout!! Good luck lifiting
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Thanks all - I think I'll start out on machines and then check out the books recommended for free weights

You may already know this, but I didn't for several weeks after I started using the machines - you can also adjust the height on each one (pretty important when you're only 5'2) once I was able to adjust them most were pretty comfortable to use. After a few months you may want to move on to free weights.
  • denisek80
    Options

You may already know this, but I didn't for several weeks after I started using the machines - you can also adjust the height on each one (pretty important when you're only 5'2) once I was able to adjust them most were pretty comfortable to use. After a few months you may want to move on to free weights.

Great tip I'm only 4'11!! thanks a lot
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt has given some good advice.

I just started lifting (love it already BTW! :smile: ), and I'm using NROL4W. I've also heard good things about Stronglifts 5x5. There's a group on here if you do end up starting NROL4W (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w) that has lots of good advice.

As far as learning lifts, I agree with the advice to keep googling. I've also been using jefit.com which has a database of a lot of exercises and tells you how to do them.

PS - I speak French so if you find something online that's in French and need some help figuring it out, feel free to PM me.
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    Congratulation on making the decision to lift! You will not regret it.

You begin where you already did- reseach! Google, go to youtube (I can only agree with the recommendation of Mark Rippletoe) and if you decide to do Stronglift- like I do- then join the group "Stronglifts 5x5 for women" here. Stronglifts is very simple. Three exercises, three times a week for about 30 min for a start. And you start with the emty barbell and work your way up from there. There´s a free e-book, but it´s a killer to get through. The Stronglift group for woman has a summary, wich I can only recommend.http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Othervise, ask the guys/girls lifting in the gym. They´re usually very friendly and helpful. When I started, I didn´t even knew how to load the barbell. A friend who just happened to be there, showed me how to do things. Others have been very helpful too.

Feel free to ask me any questions. I would like to help.

Oh, and remember to eat enough and get enough protein. Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

I think this is a great opportunity to learn to lift AND gain a bit of practice and confidence with your French skills! Since you'll be learning something physical, I think this a great situation as opposed to sitting down and having some long discussion about Derrida or something of that nature. My son is a ballet student and often has teachers who speak little to no English--it's ok. It's a physical thing. They can correct you even if they don't speak English in the least, though most people in Paris do to some degree, even if they don't like to. Just go for it!

:drinker:
  • denisek80
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and support guys!
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    Oh, just saw your post about that you wanted to start with machines. If that makes you more comfortable, you do just that. But othervise I would advise you to do free weights. You work your whole body instead of just one muscle group and you can move in the bodys naturally curves. It´ll give you more. But I totally get that it can be a little frightening. You really have to push yourself outside your comfort zone. I hope you will enjoy whatever decision you make. :smile: