How much do you walk?

Options

Replies

• mlcantwell
    mlcantwell Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack this thread, but how do yo guys get all of these miles in? I'm a runner and the only time I get 5 miles is when I run them! I guess I'm just pretty sedentary besides my runs. I'd definitely like to up that number if anyone has any suggestions.

I wear my pedometer all the time I'm awake, so it adds up! I walk around the house doing chores (laundry/washing dishes), I walk to the bus/train, I walk to the grocery store and back, I take Zumba classes, ride my stationary bike for about 20 minutes 2/3 days a week. I also just walk for fun, I like to walk to the local duck pond and feed them the stale bread. You just have to incorporate a little bit here and there for it to add up!
  • Lepouxo
    Lepouxo Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Minimum 25 miles per week
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    wow you guys walk a lot... I don't think I have time to be walking 5 miles every day...

It sounds like lots of people are referring to their end-of-day pedometer tallies, not just intentional "Now I will walk for one mile" type walks. The general rule of thumb is that 10,000 steps is about 5 miles for most people, but pedometers also let you measure your stride and input it for more accurate distance measurements.

That said, most American women only walk about 5,000 steps on average each day, so unless you're going out and trying to walk places, you're not likely walking the 5 miles.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I walk from 7:30 in the morning till 2:30 in the afternoon, only sitting down to do paperwork.....

Apparently my job dosnt count as exercise though :grumble:

True but your activity level should be set higher (not sedentary) so you still get extra calories.

ETA answer to question. On the days I go for walks, I try to go 3-4 miles but I get a really long walk in now and then and go 7 or 8 miles. Love long walks!
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    I walk from 7:30 in the morning till 2:30 in the afternoon, only sitting down to do paperwork.....

Apparently my job dosnt count as exercise though :grumble:

True but your activity level should be set higher (not sedentary) so you still get extra calories.

ETA answer to question. On the days I go for walks, I try to go 3-4 miles but I get a really long walk in now and then and go 7 or 8 miles. Love long walks!

Its set as lightly active.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I have no idea! For me, walking is my primary form of transportation. I do not believe in owning a car. I do have a subway pass, but generally choose to walk at least a mile to a subway route more direct than the one closest to my house. I go to the grocery store, to the library, pharmacy, dr's, dentist, post office, out to dinner, to the movies, to a baseball game, etc, all on foot. I only generally use the subway to get to work and to go to my daughter's ballet class.

I don't wear a pedometer on purpose because I don't get to eat back my transport calories, just excercise calories. So I figure it's best I don't know how much I walk on a given day because then I might think I deserve a piece of chocolate cake, but I don't.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    I avg 3.1 miles a day, and 60 flights of stairs, just at work.
  • keelerangela
    keelerangela Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    7 miles a night when I am at work... and I try to walk 2 miles leasurily while not at work
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    2 miles
  • spetermann190
    spetermann190 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    To and from beer fridge ... X24 reps... So yeah about 5 miles/day
    J/k but I trying do better ... 5 miles sounds great to me ... Great work!
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't track it but I walk to and from work, I walk to the grocery store, to the bus stops, basically I don't have my liscence and I've never bothered so anywhere I can walk to I do that. If it's far or I'm doing a lot of shopping I take the bus. Thursdays I probably get my best work outs because I walk to and from work, and then after wokr walk to the grocery store to buy some food for the week/or two weeks. Plus when it's bright and happy out I take my dog for much longer walks so I'd say I'm walking quite a bit I jsut dont' know how many miles or anything.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit and wear it every single day. When I got it a year ago my goal was 5 miles a day, and I rarely made that goal (I work in a sedentary job). Now though, a year later, my goal is 7 miles a day and I hit it almost everyday. I walk between 7-9 miles a day and go for 2 or 3 actual walks in a day; I find them to be therapeutic.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Holy cow! I was feeling pretty good about myself at 15-18 miles a week. Up from about 900 feet 4 months ago.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack this thread, but how do yo guys get all of these miles in? I'm a runner and the only time I get 5 miles is when I run them! I guess I'm just pretty sedentary besides my runs. I'd definitely like to up that number if anyone has any suggestions.

I feel the same way. I started running because I just can't fit in any more time walking. How many hours do you all spend walking? Or is everyone including the walking they do all day long, in addition to dedicated exercise time? I bike about three miles a day back and forth to work and walk two or so with my dogs in the evening, but if I want to fit in more than that and still have time to make and eat dinner, I need to run them. :(
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    Well now I just feel really lazy. I average about 5000 steps, which is what 1 mile. The other day I got up to 11000 and I was all wooohoooo!! Now Im seeing people who do 5-10 miles a day and want to increase it. :sad:
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    I usually try to walk my dog daily. She is slightly hefty and needs the exercise also, so that really motivates me. We go about 1.5 - 2 miles.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

they all strap a pedometer to themselves, and track every little bit of movement "oh, i walked to the dishwasher, burning more cals!"
  • emmythedagger
    emmythedagger Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I only walk about 1 or 2 miles a day. 4 or 5 if the mood takes me. I walk quite slowly and tend to play with my dog while I'm out so my 4 mile walk takes me 2 hours.

I also have shin splints which makes walking agony, especially uphill.
    My doctor seems to think it's because I went from being a very fit and active teenager to a lazy student, and if I build up the muscles again it should be fine.
    There's been quite a few times I've had to stop and sit down during my walk because of the pain.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

I wear my pedometer all the time I'm awake, so it adds up! I walk around the house doing chores (laundry/washing dishes), I walk to the bus/train, I walk to the grocery store and back, I take Zumba classes, ride my stationary bike for about 20 minutes 2/3 days a week. I also just walk for fun, I like to walk to the local duck pond and feed them the stale bread. You just have to incorporate a little bit here and there for it to add up!

see
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I wear my fitbit and do 10k-20k steps a day.... BUT I have a part-time job where I easily walk 5-10 miles a shift so that always ups my total. Also, zumba 3-4x week ups it a lot too :)