The end all-be all trick that will make you lose weight:

Options

Replies

• cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I'll make it even simpler than the OP:

1.) Figure out how many total calories your body expends per day.
    2.) Eat a reasonable amount less than that.

Done.

In...

...to see where this goes in the three pages I haven't read yet. Hopefully, ^this survives the discussion.

IN...mostly to bump this particular post and add:

3) Exercise (preferably heavy lifting included in that exercise) will make you look pretty, so do it.
  • roddack
    roddack Posts: 4
    Options
    As others have said at the end of the day if your goal is just weightloss then you need to make sure you are consuming less calories than you are using
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Done.

In...

...to see where this goes in the three pages I haven't read yet. Hopefully, ^this survives the discussion.

IN...mostly to bump this particular post and add:

3) Exercise (preferably heavy lifting included in that exercise) will make you look pretty, so do it.
    I considered adding strength training and adequate protein intake, but didn't want to complicate things beyond basic weight loss - but yes, those two things will help ensure that lean body mass sticks around and most of your weight loss is fat, so you don't look like a droopy bag of bones at the end of the process.
  • manique45
    manique45 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    What if your recommended calorie intake for weight loss is 1500 cals/day... but you eat 2000 cals worth of clean food and vegetables? :smile:

Just thought I'd throw that out there since I'm sure there are many who will point out that one of the most important things is ensuring calories out > calories in, regardless of what you're eating..

Aside from that.. solid advice IMO.

Yes, I thought of this too, CALORIE count makes a difference... I've been doing all the things you've listed above, I even wear a heart rate monitor during exercises. I was eating on an average of 1200 cals a day but exercising 5-7x a week, doing mainly Insanity and walking ALOT of walking.... burning up to 800 cals or more a day.... I have been at a plateau for almost 2 months. Over the last few weeks I am slowly increasing my cal intake to 1500-1600 a day. Hoping to see the scale move. By the way I also had my blood work done... All hormones and thyroid in normal range... The body needs fuel so if you don't eat enough clean foods you still wont loose weight the right way.... Heres hoping to get the scale moving again! :drinker:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Never had a vegetable or fruit in my entire life - losing at least 2 pounds a week!

Wait, what?

I'm not saying that you're doing it wrong...

...but you are.
  • 4camille4
    4camille4 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello, question...if you have hypothyroid will working harder allow you to achieve the weightloss and body shape you are seeking? Not over weight but looking to lose the stomache fat and get the chest and abs I want. Any advise welcome.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Exercise takes care of any excess.

Tracking calories to the single digits is pointless. Even to the hundreds for the most part is a waste. If we gain weight- exercise a bit more or eat a bit less. Add some weights in if you like eating a lot and pack on some muscle instead of fat.

It's way easier than we make it out to be.

- I realize there are medical conditions that complicate things. I have hypothyroid, I just choose to work harder to compensate for my body being ridiculous.

Not so much. I'm 5'2" and don't have much left to lose. I can easily rack up more calories eating clean foods than I can reasonably burn off via exercise considering if I'm pushing at my max safe heart rate, I'll burn about 600 calories an hour. And then I will be ravenous. Your points make for a decent foundation but it's just not that simple.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Thread title = false advertising
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Ever considered practising what you preach?

From your diary, which of these is "unprocessed, unmarketed corporate food?"

Bsn - Syntha-6 Strawberry Protein Powder, 2 Rounded Scoop
    Western Family - 12" Hand-Stretched Pizza - Ham & Pineapple
    Giant Sports - Delicious Protein Chocolate, 2 Scoop
    Gaspari Nutrition - Aminolast - Lemon Ice Recovery & Endurance Bcaa, 1 Scoop
    Optimum Nutrition - Glutamine Powder - Unflavored, 3 tsp (5g)
    Optimum Nutrition - Micronized Creatine, 5 g
    Bsn - N.O.-Xplode Blue Raspberry 1025g, 2 Scoop
    Rite Aid - Multi-Vitamin Supplement Men's One Daily, 2 tablet

As for "eat vegetables" I suggest you need more variety than:
    Safeway Deli Counter - Mojo Potato Wedges, 225 g

XD

This made my day.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Which one is the trick?
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Um... all my food is clean, I mean I wash it before I eat it.

Perhaps I will spray it with windex too.. .I mean windex fixes everything it must remove the calories too.

This thread is stupid.
  • BananaFaceFace
    BananaFaceFace Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Oh and 'clean' food. Since when was food clean/dirty. Dislike that phrase so much!!

THIS!!!!! so glad i'm not the only one who thinks this. Every time i hear someone say they're eating "clean" I think this exact thing. It elevates people above others and allows them to look down upon those who are considered to be eating "dirty" and its not just fast food thats considered dirty. But if i choose to eat something greasy once in a blue moon that's my prerogative. I do not wish to be labelled.

Its just another fad to make some people feel superior.

Being healthy is about balance and finding what works for you.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options

Done.

Works for me! and I eat whatever I want as long as I am within my calories. Don't make it more complicated than it really is...
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    All for the price of free:
    1. Eat unprocessed, "unmarketed" corporate food (IE eat clean food)
    2. Drink lots of water (and rarely anything else)
    3. Exercise (start slow!)
    4. Track your food
    5. Eat vegetables

There's nothing else to it. If you're not losing weight then something in the above list isn't being done correctly.

Good luck bros.

1. Processed versus unprocessed is irrelevent in terms of weightloss. Calorie is king. Though I will state that "clean" food tends to be more nutritious.

2. Water is important, but drinking only water is not necessary.

3. Not necessary for weightloss, but good for overall health.

4. Good advice.

5. I eat what I want.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

A "clean" diet is slang for natural foods. For instance if it wasn't available 150 years ago, you probably shouldn't be eating it.

I can't figure out whether that includes or excludes poptarts. However, you'll be happy to know that donuts are "clean"

Pop Tarts are included, naturually.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Eat at a calorie deficit for weight loss.
    Exercise makes it easier to eat at a deficit.
    It's probably a good idea to not get dehydrated.
    Veggies are nummy and make you regular, plus have lots of good things in them. So, recommended for general healthy living but not necessary for weight loss.

I like this version.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Hello, question...if you have hypothyroid will working harder allow you to achieve the weightloss and body shape you are seeking? Not over weight but looking to lose the stomache fat and get the chest and abs I want. Any advise welcome.

Make sure your meds are right so that you won't have your medical condition bogging you down, but yes, as long as you have reasonable goals, it's totally doable.

Start a progressive strength training program. That'll fix what ails you :flowerforyou:
  • michellechawner
    Options
    Best advice I've seen -

"get off your *kitten* and quit eating garbage all the time"

Simple as that. Yes I have med problems, and no i'm not losing as fast as I would like, but I work a little harder sometimes to make up for it. Do I eat totally clean? Hell no! Have I learned what moderation is? Yes.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

People with hypothyroid tend to do better with moderate/low carbs and exercise: cardio, but also resistance training.
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    All for the price of free:
    1. Eat unprocessed, "unmarketed" corporate food (IE eat clean food)
    2. Drink lots of water (and rarely anything else)
    3. Exercise (start slow!)
    4. Track your food
    5. Eat vegetables

There's nothing else to it. If you're not losing weight then something in the above list isn't being done correctly.

Good luck bros.

It's the #1 that gets me. Ugh, I have been trying to eat non-processed foods for two months now and I do feel a lot better. Even my asthma has been a lot better. My husband is constantly arguing with me about what is "Processed". He said when I make my green juice, it is a process, so nothing is non-processed. He's an *kitten*. LOL