Lunch Ideas for those of us who pack!

Options
Hello all! In an effort to get back on track, and also curb spending, I have been packing my lunch to take in to work with me.

Aside from frozen meals i.e. Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones, Michelina's Lean Gourmet, etc., what do you pack for lunch? I like to balance out the main course with a yogurt or apple. I am searching for other options for packing lunches.

I don't mind to prep for the week on Sundays. Let's share ideas! :smile:

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Wraps with lunch meat and cheese
    Sandwiches
    Big salads
    Lots of raw veggies
    Pre-cooked chicken
  • tmblastquads
    Options
    1/2 shell of mini pizza
    1serving of fat free cheese
    1 serving of pizza sauce
    1serving of ham
    some veggies.

total macros 6grams of fat 45 grams of carbs and 35 grams of protein
    total calories approx 380ish
  • julysbaby
    julysbaby Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I prep a full recipe of a dish and bring it all week. I like the variety it brings and often pack things my picky family wouldn't like. It's like a special meal each week.
    Cauliflower crust pizza
    Portobello pizzas
    pad thai
    you name it!
  • Fit_Natasha
    Fit_Natasha Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am not a sandwich person, just don't like that much bread. So, I am making my lunches most of the time.
    Big salad
    Whatever leftovers from dinner (chicken/steak/fish)
    Pasta/rice dish from the last night dinner
    Homemade soups
    If no salad that day -- veggie sticks (cucumbers, carrots, peppers)
    Homemade cottage cheese
    Yogurt
    Always bring several fruits (apples, pears, bananas), sometimes I eat them, sometimes leave for the next day, but it helps to have it around.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I usually bring some of these things:

sandwich (high fiber bread, chipotle spread, deli meat & sprouts)
    hardboiled eggs
    1/2 avocado
    almonds
    fresh fruit/veggies
    laughing cow wedige/piece of cheese
    yogurt
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I always take 4 oz. of lean protein (chicken, tuna, salmon, pork tenderloin, flank steak.....), a one cup serving of veggies (yam, salad, steamed squash, green beans.....), greek yogurt and an apple. Basically, "planned-overs" which are left-overs but I plan on them when I cook.
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Salad with mixed greens, unsalted, roasted sun flower seeds (for crunch), spicy chickpeas (also for crunch), 1/2 avocado, chicken, dressing - sometimes store bought, sometimes homemade. Baby carrots, fruit (apples, raspberries) and greek yogurt. This keeps me surprisingly full for the afternoon.
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I plan ahead for the lunches for the week. That really helps in the morning. I sometimes make quinoa salad and have it a few days. Cook a whole chicken on Sunday and there is always some left for a wrap or chicken salad on Finncrisps. I make homemade soup and freeze what we don't eat for dinner in single serving glass containers. There are just 2 of us, so a recipe meant for 4 or more yields a few lunches. In the summer I love spinach salad with strawberries, goat cheese, pecans, red onions and maple viniagrette.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    My lunch is always leftovers from last night's dinner. It's a good way of keeping things healthy, home cooked, and saving money.
  • jdatillo
    jdatillo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I been packing a huge zip lock of spring mix lettuce and then I have enough to change up salads during the week. I like to add:
    - cucumber
    - carrot
    - cherry tomato
    - hardboilded egg
    - turkey bacon
    - shredded cheese
    - salad dressing

If I am craving something sweet I like celery and carrots with peanut butter for my dessert. I also like wheat thins and lauging cow cheese with my salad.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:

I cook my lunch for the week on Sundays. recipes have 4-6 portions so I have enough for 5 lunches.

I usually have beans (black, kidney beans), lentils, chickpeas. There are many recipes in the Internet. I put the whole thing on a closed bowl and it goes to the fridge.

I separately cooked brown rice on one pot and quinoa in another pot. I cooked the quinoa with a couple of bay leaves and some chicken buillon. I also stored the brown rice and the quinoa in separate closed bowls in the fridge.

every night I get half a cup of the pulses (this week is Lentils with chorizo) in one tight lid container. Separately, I have 1/4 cup of brown rice plus 1/2 cup of quinoa in another tight lid container . sometimes, I take 1 cup soup in another container. I have replaced it with salad for the summer (tomato, cucumber and feta cheese). All four containers fit into my lunch box.
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I do weekly food prep on Sundays so I can bring my lunch for work as well. I switch it up so I don't get bored so, depending on the week, I will make a big pot of turkey chili, some sort of soup or stew, enchiladas, other casseroles, pasta dishes, etc. then portion it out in tupperware containers for the week. I will also chop up a bunch of veggies and put together a little side salad to go with whatever else I've made (again, in tupperwares for the week so they're ready to grab and go) and I leave salad dressing in the work fridge. I also make sure I always have healthy snacks--apple or some other fruit, granola bar, yogurt, carrots and hummus, etc. Another easy one is to buy a rotisserie chicken from the store. Sometimes I will portion that out for the week or just do it as needed since it's already made and so simple. Since I'm often not in the mood to cook a big dinner after work, I will also prep for dinners by making another big batch from the above list or having recipes prepped to throw in the slow cooker in the mornings.

Edited for typos.
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I like to buy packages of 9 boneless skinless chicken thighs and bake them with lemon pepper seasoning--that's great protein for three lunches. Often on Sundays I make carrot lentil stew or throw chickpeas, black beans, canned tomatoes and chicken stock into a pot with whatever seasonings catch my fancy that week and package that up in glass freezer to microwave or oven containers to pack for work. Way cheaper than Lean Cuisine and seasoned to my own taste. I often buy large bags of walnut pieces or other nuts and portion them into little baggies and keep them in the fridge to grab and go with. An hour or two on the weekends saves so much time on the weekdays when everyone in the household is working or going to school and activities. And I used to portion out ryvita crisps, but now I just keep the package in my lunch bag to save on the plastic baggies. And once a week, I just grab an avocado...
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    This week I made this chicken salad for sandwiches to take to work -

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/01/pistachio-cinnamon-chicken-salad.html

It's excellent! I also ate a salad with lunch today, made with 50/50 spring mix, some sliced strawberries, a little feta cheese, some honey roasted sliced almonds and a little bit of poppyseed dressing.

I snack a lot at work. Larabars, raw fruits and veggies, nuts, greek yogurt.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,702 Member
    Options
    200g frozen veggies cooked in the microwave. Add a little dollop of pesto, or hot sauce, hummus or onion marmalade to make the veg less boring. I also sometimes flavor with black sesame seeds or smoked paprika. Some lean protein which could be leftover meat, hardboiled eggs, turkey cold cuts, crab sticks, smoked fish (kippers, smoked mackeral or salmon).

If you have homemade soups, I really recommend the Lock Lock brand of containers, These really are 100% air tight. I have no fear tossing a container full of soup into my handbag.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I always make more at dinner and pack it for the lunches. I will make a chicken salad or a chicken wrap on whole wheat.
  • Lili0817
    Lili0817 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've never tried those frozen meals, they look pretty gross to me. I'm sure some are alright, but they don't look appealing at all....

I usually bring left overs from the night before. I try and make enough dinner to always have left overs to bring for lunch. Or I'll pack a Sandwich, PB&J, a wrap using Ezekiel Toritilla, home made salad... Mainly just whatever is left over... even if it's just a bowl of lentils, beans, homemade burrito etc... I also pack a AM and PM snack (fruite, carrots, celery and peanut butter, greek yogurt, nuts etc)... Great topic, I'm always interested in lunch ideas :) I've just realized that I spend sooo much money in food for the week that i HAVE to bring lunch. Not going to waste additional money on eating out. Occasionally, I do treat myself but not everyday like before....
  • fitnotfluffy
    fitnotfluffy Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Besides leftovers from the night before, here's a list of my favorites (sorry if some were already listed!)
    -Greek yogurt
    -string cheese
    -grapes
    -banana
    -plums (or any fruit but these are my current favorites!)
    -tuna pouch! (i just eat it plain!)
    -shaker cup with protein powder...just fill with water at work:)
    -salad
    -lettuce wraps
    -tuna salad!
    -babybel cheese
    -carrots and hummus
    -boiled eggs

I hope this gave you a few ideas!
  • DonPidgeon
    DonPidgeon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I pack the left-overs from the previous day.

Since I've already calculated the calories from that meal I just put the same amount in the container and write the calories amount on the box. That way I never have to remember how much it had and just add it during microwaving it at work.
    Same thing with the food I freeze, write what it was and the calories I estimated it contained. Helps a lot for tracking calories.

But I make a lot of food during the evening (one portion for me, one for my daughter, one for work and one for the freezer) so your mileage may vary. ;)
  • zmeplay
    zmeplay Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi:

I cook my lunch for the week on Sundays. recipes have 4-6 portions so I have enough for 5 lunches.

I usually have beans (black, kidney beans), lentils, chickpeas. There are many recipes in the Internet. I put the whole thing on a closed bowl and it goes to the fridge.

I separately cooked brown rice on one pot and quinoa in another pot. I cooked the quinoa with a couple of bay leaves and some chicken buillon. I also stored the brown rice and the quinoa in separate closed bowls in the fridge.

every night I get half a cup of the pulses (this week is Lentils with chorizo) in one tight lid container. Separately, I have 1/4 cup of brown rice plus 1/2 cup of quinoa in another tight lid container . sometimes, I take 1 cup soup in another container. I have replaced it with salad for the summer (tomato, cucumber and feta cheese). All four containers fit into my lunch box.

I am with you on this one. I love making soups. I will make lentil soup with veggies and add organic pink madagascar rice. I make enough for my daughter and I to have for days. She loves the rice and beans :) The only problem with making large portions is that you get tired of it. :/ So I freeze some so I can eat later.

On portion control: I like to serve myself in a remekin bowl, since I know that is about a cup of soup.