What should I eat at restaurants/ fast food?

Options

Replies

• jbirdjr70
    jbirdjr70 Posts: 19
    Options
    A bacon milkshake!
  • tmblastquads
    Options
    you can still go out and enjoy meals with friends at restaurants.
    No need to bring tupper wear and be weird and sacrifice your social life.
    Just know what you are eating, and how much you are eating.
    If anything, bring food scale haha. I do.
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'm all for advance planning. I look up the calories ahead of time and go in with my plan of attack. Sometimes I get pleasant surprises, like realizing that scallops at Red Lobster are much more low cal than I ever imagined. Overall, I tend toward salads, veggie burgers, and sandwiches without buns. I opt for lower cal sides rather than fries. I try to eat out on days when I exercise more so I have more leeway. So far those strategies are working for me and keeping me from feeling deprived.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I usually share meals when I go out to medium-poor restaurants. Typical US portion is enough for two people. Or just split the burger/omelette/whatever in half and box it up.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    When I go out with friends to a restaurant and they have absolutely no healthy items on the menu, what do I settle for? : (

I don't want to throw all my hard work off track but I can't avoid going out with people either because they take offence.

I'd pack my own food from home to be honest but that's not awkward for the person i'd be going out with, haha.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    these are friends? then be honest with them - "I am trying to lose weight and I could use your help. I would rather not go out to eat - we can eat at my house, or we can eat the park (I"ll bring food from home, you get take out), or I'll meet you afterwards for a light drink/coffee". a true friend will not take offence. If someone gets offended - then, well, maybe you need new friends :smooched:
    I rarely go out to restaurants. i can't afford them, and i always end up eating too much, or the wrong foods. I'd rather eat my own food that I make myself.
    If you REALLY have to go out - Learn the "bad" words: crispy or crunchy usually means fried, battered, buttery, breaded - not good. Loaded is, well full of something - cheese, bread crumbs, butter. Go with things like "whole grain, baked/broiled/grilled,
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    At BK you can get a kids meal or you can opt for the veggie burger it's 300 calories. Then have whatever for the sides like a small fry or side salad (with dressing probably about the same cal or more than the fries), or have some apple slices if you are on a fairly low calorie diet (that means less than I eat), and a diet soda. The whole meal comes in under 500 calories so it's pretty easy to fit that in any diet. I usually have 2 veggie burgers and no sides, unless I am really hungry then I might have a small order of onion rings.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I hate salad, and it makes people think/know you are dieting.

I get either a grilled chicken burger or wrap... sauce on the side... I get steamed veggies when i can (i just don't love salad), failing that i get a salad, or no side at all

Another choice is Soup (no cream soup) with a roll. Nobody ever looks at me funny for eating soup for dinner. I also like it because it takes a long time to eat, so it spreads it out.

hummus and pita isn't the end of the world

Sometimes there is something on the appy menu that can fill your needs... just avoid deep fried, chicken wings are the devil.

NO SODA, i might have a few glasses of water, THEN a glass of wine/beer - i try to stay away from coolers and cocktails because they are so sweet

I stay away from fries, ANYTHING with cheese
  • TheWanderingLemon
    TheWanderingLemon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    One thing that I did at Applebees was get a shrimp dish, I don't think it was Grilled Jalapeno Lime Shrimp but it could have been. Anyway, I asked them if they could nix the side of rice and just cook it with double the veggies. They were very accommodating and I enjoyed it very much. I don't know how many restaurants will make adjustment like this but it's worth a try. Enjoy!
  • pyt740
    pyt740 Posts: 4
    Options
    Great question, and I've read a lot of super answers.
    Additionally, most restaurants have healthy choice menus or entrees.

Just learn to keep your eating simple so that going out to eat won't
    be a chore.

One easy way to decide on food choices:
    Eat one ingredient foods:
    grill chicken, streamed broccoli,
    baked fish

Keeping in mind, most restaurant's salad dressings even the low-fat/lite
    are not waistline friendly.

So 99% of the time you will want to use oil and vinegar.

Hope that Helps along with all of the other great responses.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    When I go out with friends to a restaurant and they have absolutely no healthy items on the menu, what do I settle for? : (

I don't want to throw all my hard work off track but I can't avoid going out with people either because they take offence.

I'd pack my own food from home to be honest but that's not awkward for the person i'd be going out with, haha.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    If you REALLY have to go out - Learn the "bad" words: crispy or crunchy usually means fried, battered, buttery, breaded - not good. Loaded is, well full of something - cheese, bread crumbs, butter.

I think your definition of bad differs from mine.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    On the nights that i dont want to splurge, I stick with grilled chicken or a salad. No fries. Usually they will let me replace the fries with steamed veggies or fruit. If not then i get the fries to go and bring them home for the kids as a treat.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want, stay within your calorie goals and you'll be fine.

Gonna have to QFT

Edited to add: and even if you go over your calorie goals once in a while, it's not a big deal in grand scheme of things. An occasional night out, blowing past your calorie goals won't derail and true effort and hard work you put in.

Gonna have to QFT :bigsmile:

While I agree that this is QFT, I believe the OP was asking for general suggestions on how to do this. It's not always easy, especially if you like to frequent non-chain restaurants.
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    You can get a sirloin steak with a side (or two) of broccoli about anywhere, and come in under 500 calories.
  • mtogle09
    mtogle09 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Paleogogo APP on iTunes and Android is awesome!

http://paleogogo.com/
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I eat the same at restaurants as at home - whatever fits my macros and calorie goals, preferably with a decent serving of vegetables if possible.

If nothing fits the bill, I get as close as I can, and think no more about it. If I go over one day out of 30, I'm not going to sweat it. That's how eating disorders start.
  • Mya_Tala
    Mya_Tala Posts: 9
    Options
    The book "Eat this not that" has a list of different restaurants they have looked at and it will tell you eat this on the menu instead of that. Granted not all restaurants are listed but there's a lot of popular ones on there. It's very helpful when you're on vacation and everyone wants to stop at say burger king. None of it's healthy but it'll tell you what's the least horrific of your choices.
  • twinkiemon
    twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I go to BK or Mc D's at least once a week.

At BK I get a Whopper Jr (to cut calories you can ask for no mayo, but I like mayo so...yeah...) - (340 cals - 290 w/o mayo), I get a side salad (40 cals) and only use half a pack of dressing which is more than enough for a salad this small (cals here will vary depending on the dressing) and water (or sometimes the low calorie lemonade stuff they have).
    At McD's it's always a Happy Meal - 4 chicken nuggets, apple slices, that mini fry they give you now (you can opt to get a 2nd bag of apple slices if you want) and lowfat milk - 410 calories. If I've been good that day or worked out extra hard I might get a 170 calorie ice cream cone for dessert.

For sit down restaurants, a lot of them are coming out with specific menu items under 500-600 calories. My favorite is Applebees - they have a LOT of selections on their healthy menu and I've liked everything I've ordered off of there - my favorite is probably the Napa Chicken and there are enough veggies that you feel full at the end of the meal. Less than 550 calories.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

At BK I get a Whopper Jr (to cut calories you can ask for no mayo, but I like mayo so...yeah...) - (340 cals - 290 w/o mayo), I get a side salad (40 cals) and only use half a pack of dressing which is more than enough for a salad this small (cals here will vary depending on the dressing) and water (or sometimes the low calorie lemonade stuff they have).
    At McD's it's always a Happy Meal - 4 chicken nuggets, apple slices, that mini fry they give you now (you can opt to get a 2nd bag of apple slices if you want) and lowfat milk - 410 calories. If I've been good that day or worked out extra hard I might get a 170 calorie ice cream cone for dessert.

For sit down restaurants, a lot of them are coming out with specific menu items under 500-600 calories. My favorite is Applebees - they have a LOT of selections on their healthy menu and I've liked everything I've ordered off of there - my favorite is probably the Napa Chicken and there are enough veggies that you feel full at the end of the meal. Less than 550 calories.

And here we have a great example of someone who will probably hit their goals, probably succeed in keeping it off, and who I'm sure continues to enjoy food even as she is losing weight. The approach may not be for everyone, but I have to say it's probably the healthiest method psychologically.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

And here we have a great example of someone who will probably hit their goals, probably succeed in keeping it off, and who I'm sure continues to enjoy food even as she is losing weight. The approach may not be for everyone, but I have to say it's probably the healthiest method psychologically.

Um, what? How is this person more psychologically sound than other posters.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

Um, what? How is this person more psychologically sound than other posters.

I wasn't making a comparison to other posters here. Just saying that in my opinion the most psychologically healthy approach to eating is to not feel guilty about the particular foods one eats, but to instead practice moderation to fit the foods one enjoys into one's diet.