Replies

• bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    :happy:
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    This should be a sticky. Seriously, sticky and required reading. As a matter of fact it's going in my MFP folder and anytime someone starts a thread about not losing when they are going VLC (under 1200) and they aren't losing weight or they post something like Help, I have been dieting and exercising for a week and I can't lose anything, well I will link them to this.

BTW, I love rule number six. If I ever get back to the gym and start lifting. Doing low weights would turn out to be cardio for me and not like lifting at all.
  • bonitacash08
    Options
    This should be a sticky. Seriously, sticky and required reading. As a matter of fact it's going in my MFP folder and anytime someone starts a thread about not losing when they are going VLC (under 1200) and they aren't losing weight or they post something like Help, I have been dieting and exercising for a week and I can't lose anything, well I will link them to this.

BTW, I love rule number six. If I ever get back to the gym and start lifting. Doing low weights would turn out to be cardio for me and not like lifting at all.

Thanks!
  • ayankeefan51
    ayankeefan51 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Love this post. So true and informative for newbies, so much that I'll be showing my friend this post who's new to all of this. Thanks for posting!
  • WalkingMermaid_
    WalkingMermaid_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Words of wisdom right there! Thank you for sharing, I shall be bookmarking this thread!
  • IRISHLIZ510
    Options
    I agree with alot of what you say. Cardio combined with weights is how it should be. When I say cardio it can be 30 minutes on a treadmill or a walk outside or something to get your heart rate up. You should try for at least 2 days a week. Weights are def the best although I disagree with heavy weight and less reps. Having beem a fitness instructor and my forte was body sculpting, I did mine with lower weights and more reps. Most people lose their form when trying to lift a heavier weight as they get tired (most people try going to heavier weights to soon). I would rather have good form (with less risk of injury). You also have to take into consideration peoples health backrounds when having them start any kind of weight work. I myself am a breast cancer survivor. I had Stage 3C and after 7-1/2month of chemo I had a radical bi-lateral masectomy at which time 25 of my lymph nodes were removed under my arm 19 of them being cancerous. I am now going through lymphadema treatment and am not allowed to lift anything over 5 pounds with my left arm making your suggestion not an option.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • srl32000
    srl32000 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This is great advice. Thank you
  • shumbri
    shumbri Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • tlesa88
    tlesa88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I love this :) You have summed me up in this post!! Thanks for sharing!
  • KJVPeach
    KJVPeach Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing what you've learned! Some of us (me!) may never have learned these things and just given up!
  • ElizabethLovesFood
    ElizabethLovesFood Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you thank you thank you
  • jadelunar
    jadelunar Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I disagree with number 4:

"4. Cardio won't make you "toned". Actually, if you only do cardio, you have a good chance of looking really flabby and gross. Cardio is excellent for heart and cardiovascular health, but it will not give you a ripped, lean body. "
    ______________________________________________________________________________

It all depends on what you're doing and how you do it. Cardio can build both strength and endurance. Hills? Intervals? Sprints? Couch to 5k? Kickboxing? Stairs? Walking lunges? If you started with very little activity and begin cardio, you WILL build muscle in the beginning, until your body adapts to that level of activity. When my knees allowed me to run, I built up massive calf and quad muscles. Of course, it's harder to build AS MUCH muscle with cardio as you would with strength training, and it depends on what your starting point is.

So, just something to keep in mind that it's not all black and white. Some trainers will teach cardio workouts that build strength at the same time. =)
  • medermom
    medermom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips!!!
  • jem5065
    jem5065 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! just what i needed to hear today!!! :)
  • annemasson
    annemasson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good advice and oh so true. I have been overweight off and on for over 50 years. I was either "on" my diet or "off". Now I am learning (finally) that you have to live and enjoy yourself from time to time. That doen't mean you have failed. Just get back to eating healthy at the next meal, not next day or next week or next month. You haven't failed until you quit trying!
  • bmwauug
    bmwauug Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Great post! Totally agree on the cardio point - lost all the weight running and doing insanity - got all the definition from weight training - 5x5 for the win!
  • RoRi3
    RoRi3 Posts: 6
    Options
    Great post !
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    you have a great grasp of what it takes to be successful. awesome!!
  • bonitacash08
    Options
    I disagree with number 4:

"4. Cardio won't make you "toned". Actually, if you only do cardio, you have a good chance of looking really flabby and gross. Cardio is excellent for heart and cardiovascular health, but it will not give you a ripped, lean body. "
    ______________________________________________________________________________

It all depends on what you're doing and how you do it. Cardio can build both strength and endurance. Hills? Intervals? Sprints? Couch to 5k? Kickboxing? Stairs? Walking lunges? If you started with very little activity and begin cardio, you WILL build muscle in the beginning, until your body adapts to that level of activity. When my knees allowed me to run, I built up massive calf and quad muscles. Of course, it's harder to build AS MUCH muscle with cardio as you would with strength training, and it depends on what your starting point is.

So, just something to keep in mind that it's not all black and white. Some trainers will teach cardio workouts that build strength at the same time. =)

Well, after reading what you wrote, I still think it's black and white. Cardio may have defined your legs, but it didn't burn fat from your whole body. I don't think cardio is bad, in fact I think it's important to incorporate it into your lifestyle in some way, whether it's activity or at the gym. I still believe that cardio will NOT give you the look and definition you're going for. Not by itself. That was the point I was trying to make.