How Do You Drink Your Coffee?

Options

Replies

• RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened soy milk (I am vegan) in my coffee and tea. I would suggest weaning yourself off the sweetener ... give yourself a week or two and reduce the amount daily. Perhaps try lowfat milk ... the natural Ph of coffee (acidic) often tastes best balanced by a small amount of fat in the milk, and you'll likely need less of it.

Good coffee shouldn't need flavors or sweeteners ... but I worked for years for Peet's Coffee and Tea, and got to know the really good stuff. If you want to splurge, treat yourself to some coffee by a local roastery in your area ... there are microroasters in most places, or buy some of a really good brand in the market. A good independent coffee shop should help you select a great brew for you, and probably let you taste it beforehand. WARNING: it is entirely possible to get coffee snob attitude at some local places ... I do not give them my coffee dollars.

But do try to reduce the amount of sweetener in your cup of joe ... coffee is supposed to be a little bitter. And who wants to give their money to ConAgra or whoever makes the fake stuff!

Peet's! Peeeeeeeet's! I love Major ****ason's Blend. Commendable work, my dear lady. Carry on!
  • butifulxtears
    Options
    Im at the point where I can't drink black for the life of me... :( I use the flavored creamers...and i know that they are bad for you. I tried the whole substitute sweetners but they always leave a funny after taste. I have also tried sugar free creamers which are half the calories than your regular one...not bad. My problem is i can't drink more than an 8 oz cup without getting full! forget about drinking coffe with a meal...it fills me up too much. I use the almond milk for my protien shakes...I think i may listen to you guys and try that in my coffee and see how it goes :)
  • What316
    What316 Posts: 563
    Options
    I put mines in my mouth
  • froyojr
    froyojr Posts: 60
    Options
    I usually add about 1/3rd cup semi-skimmed milk to a large mug when it's fresh as it seems sweeter then. After logging my points today, am thinking of reducing the milk to 1/4th cup.

On another note: http://blippitt.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/funny-coffee-poster-248x300.jpg
  • tigerlily886
    tigerlily886 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    With a lot of vanilla caramel cream and sugar. It is about 140 calories. I only drink a cup every other day or so. I drink mainly water, so when I drink something different, I want it to taste good. It is the sugar that is killing me in the calories. Any suggestions? I like my coffee sweet. The creamer does not sweeten it enough.
  • jenine4366
    jenine4366 Posts: 11
    Options

I never knew almond milk was so low in calories either. May have to check it out!

Make sure you buy the unsweetened almond milk. The sweetened almond milk is about 90 calories per cup (I think, I use unsweetened vanilla). Of course, if you buy sweetened you could skip the sweetener, I don't know how many calories that would add.
  • barbsdag
    barbsdag Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    How do you count the caloric intake?
  • tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee,
    1tsp of coffee
    5 teaspoons of sugar
    and 1/2 of reduce lowfat 2% milk

my brother does
    1 tsp of coffee
    4 Splenda
    and 3 tablespoon of silk creamer.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    full fat half and half and real sugar. take up 80 of my daily calories for half a pot of coffee. totally worth it!
  • anxietygirl
    anxietygirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge latte addict. I try very hard to just get a basic 2% milk latte and add maybe 2 packets Sugar in the Raw. If I get iced coffee I do like to add milk to that.

5 days a week I have coffee at work, though, which is just a drip-brew machine. I add a tsp or 2 of table sugar (we don't have Sugar in the Raw at work; I think I'm going to buy my own packets) and 2 tablespoons straight half-and-half and that's good for me for an 8 oz cup of coffee. When you start screwing around with fat-free creamers and stuff, I feel like it's not as satisfying a drink. I usually have a second cup of coffee with the same stuff in it late morning, and then I'm good for the day.

Lately I've been very into tea lattes, though. Earl Gray and an almond-coconut-based-tea I've found called Snowflake are my current favorites. Add steamed milk and a tablespoon of honey. Nom.
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people who also would have said to not recommend drinking it black. I just didn't like it.

However, I started by going from cream and sugar to just cream, and then lowered the amount of cream over time. I now actually LIKE black coffee. I'll still have it with cream occasionally, but I usually just drink it black.
  • srl32000
    srl32000 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use natural vanilla or cinnamon, both good for you and add stevia for sugar. after that, it is hard to avoid the calories form cream or milk.....
  • llwll
    llwll Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Coffee- just hot, strong, black with no sugar. Sometimes a little cinnamon or chilly pepper.
    Just one big coffee, at morning. I LOVE THIS TASTE!
    I love jasmine green tea too.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Never tried it, not even a sip. :) It doesn't appeal to me.

However, I do have my daily vice (Dr. Pepper/Doc 360)... not healthy at all but I always just have 1 and stay under on my calories. :smile:
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I usually drink flavored coffee but black. Some times when I'm at home, I'll hit it with a quick shot of whipped cream.

If at Starbucks, I go Cafe Americano with a little nutmeg sprinkled in.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    1 splenda, non dairy creamer, a splash of vanilla flovoring sometimes
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    As others have said, better coffee needs less help to make it drinkable. You don't need to break the bank, either. We buy whole bean, grind fresh, and use an inexpensive Aeropress to brew. I use just a touch of Splenda for sweetner. If I'm using the Keurig, I generally use a splash of a flavoured Torani SF syrup or just a dusting of Splenda.

Work coffee is hopeless and requires a full packet of Splenda. But it's just a black liquid masquarading as coffee.

I've weened myself off of needing any creamers or milk, and I don't even want it now.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for ways to drink my coffee without breaking the caloric bank. (I mean, I want most of my calories going into my food, not my coffee, y'know?) Trying to avoid buying coffee creamer because of the insane amount of ingredients in it. I never think 2 tablespoons are enough either. I'd rather avoid cane sugar/fake sugar as well.

This morning, someone here turned me on to pumpkin pie spice-ing (allspice, cinnamon, ginger and clove) with some agave syrup. That brings the grand total to 60 whole calories for my cup. Not counting alittle of my half cup skim milk to it as well for that extra creaminess. It was actually pretty tasty!

So...what creative ways do you drink YOUR coffee? And don't say black. I'm sorry, but I like flavor in my coffee!!

Black.

Black is a flavor...it's coffee flavor. Sometimes I want it to taste just like that. What you got against black?

what-you-talkin-bout-willis-o.gif

(seriously though I like all the flavors too and recently have gone on a streak of putting honey as the sweetener. Real heavy whipping cream poured in is bomb, but high cal. Vanilla spice at starbucks was good regular, nonfat, or skinny. mocha skinny at starbucks are good. but mostly when I just need it to do it's job and don't want to fuss with the cal counting and just want that pure coffee flavor, I go black. especially when having steak and eggs for breakfast, it's a yum combo.)
  • zinatara
    zinatara Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't drink much coffee, and I prefer the milk based drinks. So I make homemade latte. I have a stovetop mocca kettle and grind my own coffee. I might add a little bit of sugar, but not always and never more than 2-4 grams. And I make foam with an electrical milk frothier that makes great thick foam from my 1,2% laktose free milk. I've put everything into a recipe and with sugar I can get a big glass for 78 calories with the sugar. But if I want to spend less caloriea I get it without sugar. I don't have one everyday, but it's a nice treat for breakfast when I got the time to make one.