Can anyone answer this??????

Options
2»

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Measure yourself, don't just weigh yourself. Maybe you are gaining muscle.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I don't follow the meal plan because I don't live by a fancy store and honestly I wouldn't know where to find most of those foods. I eat well though. Only occasionally will endulge in something that I shouldnt eat.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    As it turns out, per my Dad "what you did in your 20s will not work in your 30s!" We begin to lose both bone mass and muscle in our 30s as well. So it's 3 things working against you: hormones, bone loss, muscle loss. FUN!

This is so true! I was always underweight until I hit my early 30's. I was so underweight that a nurse read me the riot act when I was pregnant with my oldest daughter, accusing me of trying to keep my figure (I wasn't). Kids in school would grab my shoulder blades because they stuck out so much. I couldn't gain weight to save my life.

Then right about 32-33 years of age I started packing on the pounds. I went to my doctor to make sure it wasn't something like a thyroid issue and he ruled out any medical causes. He told me it was just my metabolism slowing down with age and that the solution was to "eat less, exercise more!" Our bodies really do change with age, and we just have to change with them.

Your legs are most likely bigger from muscle gain, which is probably also why your weight is holding steady. You're seeing other parts of your body slim down so you ARE getting results, but the gain in muscle mass is off-setting the fat loss (which is not a bad thing).

I would definitely start tracking your eating habits. Most people don't truly realize just how quickly those calories add up. Most people also have no idea what a serving size really is. The first time I measured out one cup of cereal I was floored. It was over 1/2 of what I was usually eating! Start tracking and measuring what you eat and I'll bet you'll be surprised.

Thanks for chiming in...
  • djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I am 39, and having issues too! I am currently doing 30 Day Shred and Jillians 6 week/6pack workout. no movement in scale, and slight changes. I do think I eat pretty healthy. My legs have gotten bigger as well.....all my pants are now tighter in my thighs.....course her workouts incorporate A LOT of leg exercises....squats/lunges/ plyometrics. So, it makes sense that my legs would get bigger with all that. after teh 30 days shred is done, I'm going to do Ripped in 30, and the was going to do the body revolution one. how do you like that revolution workout? I have upped my calories also, and still see no difference weight wise. I am not giving up! At some point, my body will hopefully respond! Hang in there! I have a desk job also, so when I workout, I try to burn at least 400cals. I get up a lot during the day too and that helps.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I have been slacking when it comes to tracking food on this site, mainly because my cell phone provider sucks and I rarely have internet access at my home. I do journal my food though. I eat well, I eat alot of vegetables, fruits, I stay away from red meat. My husband gets mad at me because I cook healthy and he hates it. Alot of salmon, chicken, turkey. I have grown to love green smoothies and so have my children. It is not my diet. The only reason I don't follow the meal plan is because I wouldn't know where to buy most of the stuff in there. My butt and thighs are rock hard and my abs are ripped you just can't see it because it is hidden by a layer of ick. One thing I do have to say is that my arms and shoulders are more defined than they have ever been and it is awesome. I couldn't be happier with that, but I want my pants to get bigger not smaller. It's just frustrating because I am doing everything right and I am not seeing the results that I want to see.
  • MJDuley
    MJDuley Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I don't follow the meal plan because I don't live by a fancy store and honestly I wouldn't know where to find most of those foods. I eat well though. Only occasionally will endulge in something that I shouldnt eat.

I would still recommend tracking what you eat. You may find that your portion sizes are larger than they should be, or that little healthy snacks are adding up too much, etc. Just yesterday I wrote down what I thought was a healthy breakfast, only to discover that I was already 3g over my sugar limit for the day! What put me over? An apple (11g of sugar)!

It's not just the junk foods that get us. Too much healthy food can do it too, and it's really hard to tell how much is too much until you write it down and track the calories, fat, sugar, etc.

And just keep in mind as well that the results you WANT to see might not necessarily be the results that are truly the most healthy for you. If your abs are ripped and your arms have definition, I'd say you're getting pretty good results!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options

Assuming you don't have any underlying medical conditions, you don't have to follow any specific meal plan. What you will need to do is figure out how many calories you need to eat to lose weight. You can do this one of two ways; follow the way MFP has this set up and eat back your exercise calories or determine your TDEE and subtract 15-20% from that and don't eat them back.

You will be much more successful if you do that AND weigh/measure/track what you're eating. You can't simply exercise the weight off.
  • runnergirl787
    runnergirl787 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would be careful about putting all of the blame on being a woman and being in your 30's. Of course there is some truth there, but not enough to use as a full excuse for not losing weight. It might be useful to get a physical and bloodwork done to ensure all is okay and there are no problems like thyroid issues. Like someone said above, her lifestyle changed and she's not counting her calories. Most people underestimate the calories they're taking in, and that can stifle weight loss completely. Agreed that as you get older, you've got things working against you. That just means you have to work even harder at ensuring you've got a calorie deficit each day in order to lose.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    You have just learned firsthand that it's never about the workouts, it's all about the diet. You can't outwork a crap diet.

Not that I'm saying that your diet is "bad", your results just indicate that you are eating too many calories for the goal you want to achieve.

This weight loss realm is not a math game, it's an art. Our genetics are all different, and based on the cards we are dealt will determine how hard it is for us to reach and maintain our goal weight. Unfortunately, we can't just take our exercise calories, plug them in as "spent" and then argue with our bodyfat when we try and work out the numbers.

Come ON! my BMR = 1600 and I was drenched in sweat today! MFP says that the workout spent 500 calories. Even if I give the spent calories the benefit of the doubt, and say I only spent 250 calories, I should be able to lose weight eating less than 1850!! Bodyfat.. we talked about this...

When you move more, you get hungrier, that's the evil part about losing weight. If you try and sit still and focus just on calories, your body will adapt and conserve energy. If you move more to get your metabolism up, you get hungrier and hungrier the more you work out. The key to losing weight is controlling your food intake while battling the hunger caused by high intensity workouts.

Get a food scale, try and be as accurate as you can with your food, and then add 5% to everything you guestimate. If you aren't sure what you're eating, it's probably more calories than you think.

And no, you haven't gained any muscle mass. High intensity cardio does not cause muscle mass increases. Any time you see a "build muscle and lose fat" sticker on a workout DVD, you know they are lying to you. Otherwise marathon runners would have thighs and calfs like a raging tyrannosaur...
  • chefwrx
    chefwrx Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Not tracking with the goal of losing weight is like traveling without a map. You may know where the destination is, and you might get there eventually... However, It would be a lot more effective and efficient to have a clear plan and follow it.

I know it's seems to be difficult and time consuming to track. It took me almost a year with no progress to realize how important tracking is for diet success. Another advantage is that you'll get a much better picture of your overall average intake, and your macro-nutrient profile. I suspect that your diet is deficient in healthy fats given the foods you listed.