30 Days "Sober"

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I wanna be supportive. I really do. But as somebody who worked at a liquor store and have seen folks and close friends destroying their lives with alcohol... you thread title disgusts me.

Hope you have a nice life being soda free.

^ This pretty much sums up my thoughts. I'm getting tired of people with minor self control issues using the word "addicted" let alone equating soda to these things with the word "sober."
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    I think the word "Sober" is reserved for ppl with real addiction problems.
    That come from a place of despair and sorrow.
    That have taken there right to live back.
    Fought for their health and state of mind to be a better human being.
    And NONE of that has anything to do with Soda.

i'd like to second this, as someone who is actually ~6 years sober. but i do applaud kicking soda to the curb. i only drink diet coke on the weekends now; gotta have at least ONE vice ;)
  • mikeandashgrossbrechtfeldt
    Options
    good for you!! I have not been able to stop my diet soda habit :(
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

i'd like to second this, as someone who is actually ~6 years sober. but i do applaud kicking soda to the curb. i only drink diet coke on the weekends now; gotta have at least ONE vice ;)

I have to agree with this. Soda isn't good for you, but I came into this thread thinking I was going to congratulate you or kicking a serious addiction.

I still wrestle my demons. Always will. And soda isn't it.
  • TotalTory
    TotalTory Posts: 59
    Options
    I have officially not had a carbonated beverage since 12/31/11. I drank at least 2 or 3 COKE's a day. I don't drink coffee but HAD to have my COKE - I can honestly say now I due crave water. It can be done. If I can do it - you can. Keep it up!
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Sweet Tea is my down fall Ive seriously no clue how much sugars in it... Thats awesome you kicked soda to the curb.. Im gonna have to do that with Sweet Tea

I drink sweet tea...love it! It has as much sugar as I put in it. Doesn't yours??

To the OP Alcohol destroys lives not a can of Cola.
    Bless your heart wish you the best.:flowerforyou:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Definition of SOBER

a : sparing in the use of food and drink : abstemious
    b : not addicted to intoxicating drink
    c : not drunk
    : marked by sedate or gravely or earnestly thoughtful character or demeanor
    : unhurried, calm
    : marked by temperance, moderation, or seriousness <a sober candlelight vigil>
    : subdued in tone or color
    : showing no excessive or extreme qualities of fancy, emotion, or prejudice
    — so·ber·ly adverb
    — so·ber·ness noun
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I was ready to give you this online coin until I read the post. While you have set a good goal for yourself and you are doing well, think twice before wording a thread so inappropriately.

1-year-chip.jpg
  • danigirl1988
    danigirl1988 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Keep it up! :-)
  • bonelessskinless
    Options
    3omlv8_zpsa8c460d6.jpg

Man! You in here for some COCA COLA?!?

jk congrats on kicking the caffeine and sugar!
  • shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I definitely did not mean any disrespect to anyone and i apologize if I did.

My stepfather is an alcoholic, my mother is a gambleholic, and I have struggled to control my soda intake. Unhealthy habits come in all forms, not just alcohol and drugs.

I've never had an issue with drinking alcohol, or gambling, but I have struggled with being drawn to unhealthy eating habits since I was in grade school. I put sober in quotes to indicate I was not using it in the traditional fashion. I was/am simply proud of my accomplishment and I wanted to share it with those who also deal with soda cravings day in and day out. If you have never fought the urge to do something you know was bad for you, I applaud you. However, most people struggle with one vice or another on a day to day basis, and mine happens to be soda.

Obesity is a serious issue for society, and soda is highly connected with those who are overweight, obese, or morbidly obese.
    MFP is a place for people to come together for support and help when they are trying to lead healthier lifestyles. Again, I apologize if my thread title offended anyone, but those of you who have struggled to give up anything and made it to a milestone of 30 days can understand the significance behind it.

Thank you for the kind words and congrats. I'm still super excited for making it to one month of resisting that which has had such a strong hold on me for the last 20 years.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I was ready to give you this online coin until I read the post. While you have set a good goal for yourself and you are doing well, think twice before wording a thread so inappropriately.

1-year-chip.jpg

:love:
    Im Happy we're friends Crabby.
  • avvalynna
    avvalynna Posts: 32
    Options
    My gosh! I just realized I have no idea when the last time I had a coke was! I used to drink a 12 pack every couple of days!

It is def an accomplishment! Gratz!
  • cestabbey
    cestabbey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My father is an alcoholic who I eventually had to cut from my life and my brother-in-law struggles with sobriety, and I have zero issue with your post title. The quotes around the word clearly show that it was not a typical case of sobriety and your heart was obviously in the right place. Of course I in no way want to diminish the feelings of other posters, I do think it's important to remind ourselves that on MFP we're here for support, not nitpicking -- especially when the intent of the post was clearly excitement about reaching a milestone.

Congratulations on fighting through the soda habit! It takes time and effort to form new habits and it sounds like you're getting there! :)
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

^^ As a former cocaine addict (three years clean now), I have to agree with this.
  • losing4goodnow
    losing4goodnow Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My brother is a recovering addict, my biological father is an active alcoholic & several members of my mother's side of my family have addiction issues....I had no problem with the wording of the title of your post. Like you said, people struggle with addictions in all forms, be it alcohol, drugs or caffeine. Does an addiction to caffeine do as much damage as crack or alcohol in terms of damage to your body or the damage it does with relationships in your life? No but it's an addiction nonetheless and it can be a hard one to overcome for some people. Just as overeating is.......there's an entire 12 step program out there for people with the addiction of food or with eating disorders. Sorry, I just couldn't watch you continuously get bashed over how you worded your post. There's more important things to worry about people than how someone chooses to use a word.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Definition of SOBER

a : sparing in the use of food and drink : abstemious
    b : not addicted to intoxicating drink
    c : not drunk
    : marked by sedate or gravely or earnestly thoughtful character or demeanor
    : unhurried, calm
    : marked by temperance, moderation, or seriousness <a sober candlelight vigil>
    : subdued in tone or color
    : showing no excessive or extreme qualities of fancy, emotion, or prejudice
    — so·ber·ly adverb
    — so·ber·ness noun
  • zdreamer
    zdreamer Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I broke the "soda" (in Michigan, it's "pop") habit a few years ago and just have a glass once in a great while. It makes the pop I do drink, the best ever and I also don't miss it one little bit as a staple in my day! I do drink one glass of unsweetened tea in the morning and then switch to water. If I absolutely need a "treat" later in the day, I will have another glass of unsweetened tea.

Great job on 30 days and keep it up!
  • frankizoy
    frankizoy Posts: 83 Member
    Options

"sober" is not ment to be taken literally, thats why its in quotes. and A LOT of people use that term jokingly to refer to them giving up something they do obssesivly or drink/eat obssesivly including drinking soda.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

"sober" is not ment to be taken literally, thats why its in quotes. and A LOT of people use that term jokingly to refer to them giving up something they do obssesivly or drink/eat obssesivly including drinking soda.

There are many terms LOT of people use jokingly. Doesn't make it right to use it

N word
    Retard

Theres a few others I won't specify with fear of upsetting the mods but you get the picture. I understand that OP made a mistake without thinking too much of it however as a grown person, she should be willing to accept the consequences of her actions.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!