Lack of Support - Lots of Sabotage

Options
My husband can't even bring himself to show me any kind of encouragement or support. To make it worse - he's always enabling me or sabotaging my diet. I don't think he sabotages on purpose - but it's really starting to weigh on me (literally).

I'm finding it really hard to keep myself going when I can't have those I'm close to on the same page as me.

For once in my life it would be so nice if someone would just show one little ounce of interest in what I'm trying to do for me. I feel so alone.

Replies

• GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    Sometimes people just don't want you to succeed because it will highlight their failures. If my husband acted so unsupportive, I would use that as encouragement to rub it in his face when I hit my goal weight.
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I don't have the support at home either. Mine gripes if I have to buy new clothes or because I shop so differently than he does.

I just ignore it for a while. Eventually, I will blow my stack.

My best friend is my support, but he lives 95 miles away.

Feel free to add me as a friend in the same boat if you want!

S.
  • msjones2831
    msjones2831 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Just stick to your healthy habits. Don't give up! It's going to be very hard, but continue to reach out the your mfp, read about fitness and health, work out when you are bored or upset and just channel your energy to the new healthy you! you deserve it!
  • jessichri
    jessichri Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    In light of the fact that I don't know your husband, I'll err on the side of ignorance..his of course. Maybe he doesn't realize how important this is to you. Maybe he is insecure about the whole idea of a thinner you. Maybe he thinks his "sabotaging" is him being sweet and surprising you with food or buying your favorites.

Regardless, I have two suggestions. One, sit him down and have the talk. Let him know his lack of support is making you feel terrible and killing your motivation. Hopefully, if he realizes this, he will make an effort.
    Second suggestion, regardless of his response to suggestion one, take accountability for yourself. Make the choice to do better even if you don't have his support. This is about you, not him.

You can do it!! If you don't get the needed support at home, we will give it to you here.
  • cola1988
    cola1988 Posts: 2
    Options
    I get complaints of how much time I spend exercising instead of with the family, then I take a couple nights off to spend 'with the family' and I end up alone watching tv, so I just go and listen to the complaints. I think we are all in the same boat, I get in trouble for buying new clothes, buying different foods just for me, etc, but I have decided to finally do this for me, it's not for them anyway.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of men are like that! That is what MFP is for!! Get you a lot of friends and they will give you motivation you need!!
  • dianefisher47
    dianefisher47 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I agree with Gnomelove, it would make me work harder to prove to myself that I am worthy of myself and prove them wrong...When I decided many years ago to quit smoking , my husband and one of his friends laughed as if to say ...she won't succeed..WELL WELL enough said I have been smoke free now for 15 years...so yes lady you can do it and I believe in you.....:flowerforyou:
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Once in awhile I see someone post something like this and then someone comes along and bashes them and plays like it doesn't matter.

No it matters.

Been there and done that. My ex was even trying to give me a guilt trip the other day about taking the time to better myself. She was the sabotager of all sabotagers.
  • ForMyAngelBaby
    ForMyAngelBaby Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I think one of my biggest problems is I seldomly ever do things just for me...it's always for everyone else.

It's so hard for me to put myself first - but we see where I've ended up by putting myself last...
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of men are like that! That is what MFP is for!! Get you a lot of friends and they will give you motivation you need!!

See my post above.

She didn't want me to be on here either. SIGH.

So glad I don't have to deal with that nonsense anymore.
  • lmckillo
    lmckillo Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You are not alone, you have everyone on MFP that supports you and understands the trials and tribulations of dieting. You will find that it is the people closest to you that may want you to fail or will be your biggest critics. When you fail it makes them feel as if what they are doing is okay. " She's/ He's not dieting or working out so it must be okay for me not to" People that don't feel good about themselves can be the most negative at times. Just keep on with your program and remember the support you have with all your friends on MFP
  • Xenophonica
    Xenophonica Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It is so hard to do this when the home support is non-existent. Can you ask him specifically to avoid doing X, Y, and Z? the things that are damaging your journey? I'll offer the same, I'm willing to give you some internet support if you'd like to add me!
  • bartbell
    bartbell Posts: 10
    Options
    You have to do it for you and by you. You are right it would be great if everyone around us did the same things and had the same goals but that is not the way life works in general. And that is exactly why sites like this do so well. It is a community of people, all over the world with the same goals.

Work hard for yourself, come to these message boards for your insperation, uplifting stories of people overcoming much worse things than we have to and carry on. The only person who can sabotage your results is yourself, noone can make you eat bad, not workout, or completely give up but yourself. And because you are here, taking that big step (and have already lost 14 pounds) tells everyone that you want this badly. So keep moving forward and good luck!
  • plumpncurvy
    plumpncurvy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    In the same boat here...it sucks!
  • jonswife0206
    jonswife0206 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Although my husband is supportive of whatever I am trying to accomplish, he doesn't always understand the importance. He for one has never had a weight issue. EVER. So, while he is saying "Great job with heading to the gym today!", he's shoveling in ice cream and asking if I would bake him some cookies, lol.

He loves me and I love him but you know what, I just have to do this for myself and that is okay. If he wants to clean out every snack in the house until he is happy, I will go find something else to do if it is annoying. If he wants to sit on his behind while I go for a long run and sweat until I want to pass out, so be it. There are many things he does that I don't always understand so I try not to be too upset about it. We are different people and will not always have the same goals or priorities with everything in life.

Here on MFP, we are pretty much on the same path of getting healthier even if our desired goals are a bit different. I am glad that you posted on here and are working to make things better for yourself. When you don't always have a cheer team at home, this is a good place to go. I wish you the best and remember that you have to make good choices for yourself , even if the people around you don't make the same.
  • angelamcmillan2008
    Options
    my hubby was a enabler,still is but i made him aware of it and each time hr brings something sweet home,i confront him.i ask what are you trying to do kill me im already fat do you want to see me have a heart attack.then he feels bad and starts dieting with me and loses more weight than me.ticks me off,he goes bragging about it.lol na i dont get really mad.i just let him think he got under mt skin about it.but please do talk to your husband tell him you want his support.tell him you feel lonely.communication is key to any relationship.talk to him like hes your best friend,hes suppose to be.good luck
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    My husband can't even bring himself to show me any kind of encouragement or support. To make it worse - he's always enabling me or sabotaging my diet. I don't think he sabotages on purpose - but it's really starting to weigh on me (literally).

I'm finding it really hard to keep myself going when I can't have those I'm close to on the same page as me.

For once in my life it would be so nice if someone would just show one little ounce of interest in what I'm trying to do for me. I feel so alone.

My hubby started that way too - he didn't mean to hurt my feelings - I think it was maybe his insecurity (he is a bit on the heavy side too). I think he just didn't think...you know what I mean?

Now, 2.5 years later, he is fully supportive, even asking if he should weigh my food for me when he cooks. He will come along, I think. Just hang in there and do what you need to do for yourself.
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hey sweetie!! You aren't alone :flowerforyou: I've had some success with unintentional sabatoge by using a polite "no, thank you." sometimes you have to repeat it, but you never have to give an explanation. (i.e. if he offers you some yummy delicious sweet treat, simply say no, thank you). Now, if it's intentional then it's time for a serious sit down talk - keep calm, look him in the eye, make sure those emotions stay in tact, and talk to him about this because it is bothering you.
  • AmberleyAngel
    AmberleyAngel Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Golly. Thank you so much everyone for a wake up call.

I have the most supportive husband ever. He's given up sugar, fast food, and lots of other things off his own bat, to support me. He allows me to get treats when I hit mini goals like a hair cut, new makeup, a trip somewhere; and brings home helpful surprises like sugar-free lollies or a nice fillet of salmon. He has even started exercising, too. And he accepts and jokes about me needing a whole new wardrobe of clothes by the time I've reached goal.

I was just thinking this morning how nobody seems to understand how much work it is to lose weight and be dedicated to it. How shallow and ungrateful I can be without realising it!!!

It is hard work. It does take self-control and dedication. And it sure is a LOAD easier with support.

I suggest you write a list of the reasons you want to lose weight and whenever you struggle, take it out and think about those things. What's changed? Have you achieved some of those things, in part or in whole?

AND, share with your MFP community & friends - the highs, the lows, and the ho-hums. All of us know what it takes to change a lifestyle and live that every day.

You can be the person you want to be. Don't let lack of support at home stop you achieving. I'm sure he will realise and love the results in due course. :love:
  • MsDelaney
    MsDelaney Posts: 7
    Options
    If you need any internet support, you can add me! I'm good with the encouragement stuffs :)