I don't know how to stop binging

Options

Replies

• mspasdechat
    mspasdechat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I can relate to your situation, as I too have a very unhealthy relationship with food. At the end of the day, it is *you* who has to make the change. It's not going to happen overnight. You're going to struggle, you're going to slip up and feel like a failure - it's just all part of the process. Your food addiction has manifested itself for quite some time, I'm assuming, and it will take quite some time for it to relinquish its power over you.

I am currently seeing a therapist for my food addiction and it has really helped.

You need to stop and think about what you are eating. It's very difficult, but not impossible. At some point you need to look at yourself and say ENOUGH is ENOUGH. You must eat to live, not live to eat!

Best of luck sweet heart. PM if you need any support :)
  • tweetspie
    tweetspie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I work 55 hours a week, so it's not possible to attend any sort of meeting.

make time

QFT

If you really want to find a way, you will. You can either make the decision to stop shoving food in your mouth when your not hungry or admit you might have a problem and need help and find a way to fix it.

Time may be scarce but you shot down that idea without even looking into the program and seeing if there is a time slot you can make. The majority of us have jobs, kids, or both...but making time for what is going to end up helping you is worth the effort.

Posting on an internet forum might help for about 3 seconds, but if you shoot down the sound advice with excuses, then you're not really ready to do what it takes to make it happen.

Ok, fine. I'll play. The ONE meeting in my area in a time and day that I can attend is 15 miles away. I'm aware of OA and I have read all about OA. I am not a religious person and I do not need to find god. I do not need to be preached to. I shot it down without going any further because I didn't want to offend people. Obviously I have not been afforded that same courtesy here.
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    i'm going to agree with the suggestions to bring your food and keep it at your desk. at my office, we are plagued by lunch thieves, so i keep my food with me anyway. if you have NO reason to go in the kitchen area (read: your food is not in there) you have NO reason to be hanging out there. it is a problem area. stay out.

as for the junk at home, throw it out. if you feel that is wasteful, give unopened packages to your local food bank, or a neighbor. go to a friend or family member you trust/rely on. have them hold you accountable. tell them when you are going to give in to a craving. let them call you out on it. that support is a great drive. yes, it is embarrassing to have to tell someone you want to eat junk food, but let that accountability carry you past the craving.

it is really hard to stop eating. eating makes us feel good. but i can tell you from experience that it feels so much better to have to buy new jeans because they keep falling off than it ever did stuffing myself sick.

you CAN do this.

best wishes.

p.s. at the very least, PLEASE log the stuff you are eating. if you don't know the measurements, round up. keep track. the food diary is a fantastic way to keep yourself in the know. you can even use it as reference to see your own acheivements when you start abstaining from the junk food. it is being honest with YOURSELF. and that is the most important part of a lifestyle change.
  • lablueluna
    lablueluna Posts: 52
    Options
    In total agreement with edelge. Also, I'm appalled by how unsupportive the earlier responses are. People need to step the f off the "stop being a victim" malarky. Obviously you are reaching out for support. I've had issues with bingeing and it's hard and it's NOT about physical hunger. Please feel free to message/add me as a friend!

Hang in there!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Someone else may have mentioned this - I didn't read everyone's posts completely - but try bringing a toothbrush and a strong mint toothpaste to work and every time you go to the bathroom, brush your teeth. I bet that garlic chex mix and those slushies just won't taste as good if your mouth is full of mint! You could also keep a strong mint mouth spray at your desk and use it every time you get up - that way, you'll be minty going to and from the bathroom.
  • rld84
    rld84 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    There is a Binge Eating support group on MFP that has members that suffer from the same type of emotional and behavioural issues around food that you do. Perhaps try joining that group, so that you have support from others who fully understand what you are feeling and where you are coming from, and may be able to offer you strategies to help you. Best of luck! :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/743-binge-eating-support-group
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    You can do this without surgery.. You did before! It's just a stressful cycle... But you'll break it if you keep trying. I suggest just continue to track your calories even if you feel to upset to. Track the food BEFORE you eat it, then you might change your mind about eating it.

Ohh, and I wouldn't say you "binge eat", because that is eating a large amount of food in a short period of time, until your so full you can't move. You just over-eat, but you can beat it! :) Try focusing on little goals, or atleast focus on working out... Usually working out motivates me to eat better.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Ever think of maybe chewing sugarless gum when you feel the need to grab some kind of food instead?

Or take alot of low calorie snacks with you? For instance, maybe get some veggies you can eat throughout the day? Carrots, Celery, Broccoli, Cucumber, etc..etc.. If you take a big tupperware bowl full of them, and you munch on those all day, it won't add up to alot of calories....also make sure you drink plenty of water. It doesn't matter if you have to pee 3 times during the workday, it will take the place of filling your void with unhealthy choices.

I wish you luck!
  • danibu98
    danibu98 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I go through this a lot (and still am). The only way I can control it is if I log it. I also pack my lunch every day and I don't take any extra money for snacks. I work on the road and in the food and beverage business so everything is a huge temptation to me.

I love chex mix and I make an awesome homemade one. I used to make it weekly, now maybe once a month at best. I have a huge desire to crunch so now I eat low fat/ air popped popcorn or something similar.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like to journey with someone battling a binge/crunch addiction :). I don't drink soda or eat sweets - luckily I see no joy in them. My diary is open to friends.
  • daltem
    daltem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I found chemo easier than putting down the fork. :(.
  • tweetspie
    Options
    Man, talk about a group of people who just don't get it.
    It is hard and you need a combination of truly supportive people and counseling/behavioral therapy.
    Unless you have been a hundred pounds overweight you have no idea how hard it is.
    Feel free to message me if you want to talk. Hang in there.

Thank you very much for understanding
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I work 55 hours a week, so it's not possible to attend any sort of meeting.

make time

QFT

If you really want to find a way, you will. You can either make the decision to stop shoving food in your mouth when your not hungry or admit you might have a problem and need help and find a way to fix it.

Time may be scarce but you shot down that idea without even looking into the program and seeing if there is a time slot you can make. The majority of us have jobs, kids, or both...but making time for what is going to end up helping you is worth the effort.

Posting on an internet forum might help for about 3 seconds, but if you shoot down the sound advice with excuses, then you're not really ready to do what it takes to make it happen.

Ok, fine. I'll play. The ONE meeting in my area in a time and day that I can attend is 15 miles away. I'm aware of OA and I have read all about OA. I am not a religious person and I do not need to find god. I do not need to be preached to. I shot it down without going any further because I didn't want to offend people. Obviously I have not been afforded that same courtesy here.

Good luck in your search for help. :flowerforyou:

Sorry to have made a suggestion without having all the facts. Obviously we are all supposed to just know these things when you ask for help.
  • Alsison
    Alsison Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I feel for you and I have been there. The more you binge the worse you feel. The worse you feel the more you binge.

All I can say is that it works in the opposite direction too... The more you make healthy choices the better you will feel and the better you feel the easier it is to make good choices.

Don't focus on the big picture just try to make it through tomorrow. Maybe talking to a professional may help. At this point, can it really hurt?

Cheers,
    Alsison
  • Lauracharder
    Lauracharder Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    This isn't an issue about her being hungry. the issue is she can't stop from putting food in her mouth. i think you need some type of counseling, the sooner the better. your problem can only get worse if not stopped.
  • mmellgirl
    mmellgirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    OA is a spiritual program..........not a religious one.
    No one is going to force you to find God.
    Everyone at meeting is or has been exactly where you are.
    The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop eating compulsively.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options

make time

I am an alcoholic. I have been sober for over a year and half. I work 50-60 hours a week and I make time to work out AND attend meetings because it is something that I want to make time for. It is really hard sometimes, and it is by no means going to be easy. You have to make sacrifices. Some weeks I focus more on my family or friends and so I make time to attend an online support group...there are tons of support groups on the internet :laugh:

I am an emotional food binger so I understand what you mean by the uncontrollable factor, you've eaten 3 servings before you even realize what you're doing right? Yeah, it sucks. One of my remedies to avoid the office snacks is to always have a snack drawer. I keep things that are sweet and salty to satisfy my urges like planters granola bars in my desk. I keep bananas on my desk too. There are lots of healthier options out there doll! You can do it!!

Add me and we can keep on each other to keep strong :flowerforyou:

Just to be clear, when I suggested a support group I was not suggesting that you "find god", I was just suggesting talking to people who know exactly how you feel and can help you not feel so guilty and angry with yourself.
  • tweetspie
    Options

make time

I am an alcoholic. I have been sober for over a year and half. I work 50-60 hours a week and I make time to work out AND attend meetings because it is something that I want to make time for. It is really hard sometimes, and it is by no means going to be easy. You have to make sacrifices. Some weeks I focus more on my family or friends and so I make time to attend an online support group...there are tons of support groups on the internet :laugh:

I am an emotional food binger so I understand what you mean by the uncontrollable factor, you've eaten 3 servings before you even realize what you're doing right? Yeah, it sucks. One of my remedies to avoid the office snacks is to always have a snack drawer. I keep things that are sweet and salty to satisfy my urges like planters granola bars in my desk. I keep bananas on my desk too. There are lots of healthier options out there doll! You can do it!!

Add me and we can keep on each other to keep strong :flowerforyou:

Just to be clear, when I suggested a support group I was not suggesting that you "find god", I was just suggesting talking to people who know exactly how you feel and can help you not feel so guilty and angry with yourself.

That's what I was looking for here. Instead, I got a bunch of people attacking me and blaming me for an issue that is clearly mental and a handful of helpful people. I was expecting a community that was supportive and helpful and instead found a bunch of extremely rude, hurtful people who seem to have forgotten what it's like to get started or never even knew what it's like to be 140 lbs overweight to begin with.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

make time

QFT

I attended an OA meeting with a family member. There was mention of "your higher power" which could be anything, but not God. There was no religion talk. No preaching. Just people sharing their stories, food diaries, things that worked for them, things that didn't. It was support. Whether that's indicative of all OA meetings or not I can't say, but if you can't afford a therapist it can't hurt to attend one meeting to see if it's something that will work for you.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Only by understanding the "why" will you be able to find the reason not to.

Write it down, a journal, why you ate, xyz, and how you felt, and how you felt after.

Youve done it before, I have faith that you can do it again.

Log everything, really, log every little, last bite, it might give you the push to say "enough, I am worth more than this food"

Good Luck
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I don't have a binge eating disorder, but I have binged on many occasions. I know that it's about more than willpower for someone with the disorder. But I second what most others have said about getting help. You aren't going to get better just by asking for advice from strangers on the internet. We can tell you not to eat the snacks, we can suggest for you not to go into the kitchen, or to make better food choices, but ultimately you are the one who has to make the change. And you know yourself better than any of us. If you can do it on your own, kudos to you. But all of my friends who have had binge eating disorders have only fully recovered with professional help.

I saw a quote once that said "Your workout is the most important meeting of the day that can't be missed, with the most important person in the world. Yourself". It's the same thing. You have to make the time. You just have to. It won't be fun or easy but that's what it will take to save your life.

As some people said, your job might offer counseling services through human resources for free. And groups like Overeaters Anonymous are free and can be really beneficial. Please don't be ashamed to get help or make excuses (or valid reasons!) why you can't change. Your life is at stake here.